reformat

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?bGl2ZXNuZA==?=, Sep 7, 2006.

  1. How can you reformat XP Pro and install XP Pro 64 without the disc. My cd
    player ate it.
    =?Utf-8?B?bGl2ZXNuZA==?=, Sep 7, 2006

  2. You can format XP Pro x86 by using the XP Pro x86 disk:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

    As for installing XP Pro x64, you need the disk to install it. When you say
    your CD drive, are you trying to say its also damaged? If so, you need to
    get a replacement. Or get a paper clip, straighten it out, and push it into
    the small hole on the drive and hopefully it should eject.
    --
    http://adacosta.spaces.live.com
    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 7, 2006

  3. "Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" wrote:

    > You can format XP Pro x86 by using the XP Pro x86 disk:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348
    >
    > As for installing XP Pro x64, you need the disk to install it. When you say
    > your CD drive, are you trying to say its also damaged? If so, you need to
    > get a replacement. Or get a paper clip, straighten it out, and push it into
    > the small hole on the drive and hopefully it should eject.

    I have order Xp Pro 64, so you are saying that when I install Xp pro 64 I do
    not need Xp Pro to reformat. As for my Xp Pro, Yes I have removed it from my
    cd player but the player broke my disc in about 7 places and the tray came
    out in Pieces. I have replaced the cd drive.

    =?Utf-8?B?bGl2ZXNuZA==?=, Sep 7, 2006
  4. If you are installing XP Pro x64 on the existing drive on which XP Pro x86
    is installed, you have to format that drive. Both cannot co-exist on the
    same drive and you cannot upgrade from XP Pro x86 to XP Pro x64, clean
    install only. You can dual boot both operating systems by installing XP Pro
    x64 on a logical partition after XP Pro x86.

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 7, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?bGl2ZXNuZA==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    As Andre said, you can reformat as part of the install process using your
    X64 install CD

    John Barnes, Sep 7, 2006
  6. "Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin]" wrote:

    > If you are installing XP Pro x64 on the existing drive on which XP Pro x86
    > is installed, you have to format that drive. Both cannot co-exist on the
    > same drive and you cannot upgrade from XP Pro x86 to XP Pro x64, clean
    > install only. You can dual boot both operating systems by installing XP Pro
    > x64 on a logical partition after XP Pro x86.

    I understand that I need to reformat, My question again is, do I need XP Pro
    to format? Again I do not have XP Pro because my cd player busted it all up.
    I have just received XP Pro 64 as we speak.

    =?Utf-8?B?bGl2ZXNuZA==?=, Sep 7, 2006
  7. "John Barnes" wrote:

    > As Andre said, you can reformat as part of the install process using your
    > X64 install CD

    Thank you so much ,both of you.

    =?Utf-8?B?bGl2ZXNuZA==?=, Sep 7, 2006
  8. As John said, sorry for the little confusion, I just assumed since you have
    an XP disk regardless of the edition.

    Andre Da Costa [ActiveWin], Sep 7, 2006
  9. No. If you need to do that you can do it during the installation of XP x64
    when you are all set up for that. Since x64 requires a clean installation
    anyway, formatting should not be necessary as long as the present format is
    NTFS. Of course you may reformat (quick or full) if you wish. You will see
    the options after you select the target partition for the installation of
    x64.

    Colin Barnhorst, Sep 8, 2006