    What should I do!
    All and any advice appreciated.
    Tom

    Thames, May 6, 2006

  2. Thames

    Cooper Guest

    Thames wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have just had my first attempt at building a PC. I formated an old
    > HD and installed XP plus SP2. I sent the activation key to microsoft
    > and it was accepted.
    > Being someone who's never happy with things I decided to format and
    > install again. This time when I sent the key to activate it Microsoft
    > tells me something along the lines that it is no longer available?
    > What should I do!
    > All and any advice appreciated.
    > Tom

    That is why they invented telephones. Ring them up.

    Cooper, May 6, 2006

  3. Thames

    philo Guest

    "Cooper" <> wrote in message
    > Thames wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I have just had my first attempt at building a PC. I formated an old
    >> HD and installed XP plus SP2. I sent the activation key to microsoft
    >> and it was accepted.
    >> Being someone who's never happy with things I decided to format and
    >> install again. This time when I sent the key to activate it Microsoft
    >> tells me something along the lines that it is no longer available?
    >> What should I do!
    >> All and any advice appreciated.
    >> Tom

    > That is why they invented telephones. Ring them up.

    yep...
    it's already activated so you need to tell Microsoft about what you did.

    if ringing them up doesn't work...

    your next step would be "squaring them down" <gulp>

    philo, May 6, 2006
  4. Thames

    Thames Guest

    Yes you was correct. It was an easy excersize. I dread talking to
    machines giving me options of 1 to 6. But I must admit, it was pretty
    painless. Cheers, Tom

    Thames, May 6, 2006
  5. Thames

    Beck Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > yep...
    > it's already activated so you need to tell Microsoft about what you did.
    >
    > if ringing them up doesn't work...
    >
    > your next step would be "squaring them down" <gulp>

    Should not require a phonecall if he only formatted the machine.

    Beck, May 6, 2006
  6. Thames

    Dan Evans Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > yep...
    > it's already activated so you need to tell Microsoft about what you did.
    >
    > if ringing them up doesn't work...
    >
    > your next step would be "squaring them down" <gulp>

    Yeah, but he shared his install key with his buddies. Happened to me at a
    clients office - the boss shared 20 install keys with 2 friends, who shared
    with 2 friends, who shared with 2 friends ...

    He was well pissed off when I got called in to sort out machines and re
    install was the way to go (they'd decided to 'maintain' themselves) and keys
    wouldn't work.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, May 6, 2006