    programs such as Vaio Sony's system recovery. etc.

    thanks a lot,

    perila
    2004, Mar 30, 2006

  2. 2004

    Gordon Guest

    2004 wrote:

    > Hi - I've done this before but I've forgotten.
    >
    > What process do I follow to reformat the hard drive.
    > Do I have to remove all programs first?
    >
    > I've already made copies of docs and such. and I have the XP OS and other
    > programs such as Vaio Sony's system recovery. etc.
    >
    > thanks a lot,
    >
    > perila

    Why do you think you need to re-format? That should always be the last
    resort. What problems are you experiencing that lead you to think you might
    need o reformat?

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    Gordon, Mar 30, 2006

  3. Slap in your XP cd and reboot, you should be given the option to do a
    "Clean Install" (as opposed to a repair install, which wont format the
    drive) and it should give you options about which drive to format.
    That is, of course, assuming you want to put XP back on.
    If you're switching to linux or somthing try their install CDs. Most of
    them have disk partitioners built in nowadays.
    Jordan T. Greenberg, Mar 30, 2006
  4. 2004

    2004 Guest

    Hi - - I've tried everything else - but there were files that corrupted a
    lot of my programs. - I can't even run my adobe program.

    So I'd like to start fresh - if you tell the first step.

    thanks again for your response.

    2004, Mar 30, 2006
  5. 2004

    Mara Guest

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:56:58 -0500, "2004" <> wrote:

    >Hi - - I've tried everything else - but there were files that corrupted a
    >lot of my programs. - I can't even run my adobe program.
    >
    >So I'd like to start fresh - if you tell the first step.

    Boot off the cd and have it do it for you. You may have to change your BIOS
    settings to do that.

    Or, boot off a 98 boot disk and run "format C:" (without the parenthesis,) and
    then convert the file system to NTFS later.

    --
    <siva> and you want to capitalize the first letter of every work?
    <siva> er, eword? <siva> CRAPO
    Mara, Mar 30, 2006
  6. 2004

    Gordon Guest

    Mara wrote:

    > Or, boot off a 98 boot disk and run "format C:" (without the parenthesis,)

    pedant mode on:

    I thought parenthesis were () not ""

    pedant mode off

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    Gordon, Mar 30, 2006
  7. 2004

    Jos. Wheeler Guest

    "Jordan T. Greenberg" <> wrote in message
    > Slap in your XP cd and reboot, you should be given the option to do a
    > "Clean Install" (as opposed to a repair install, which wont format the
    > drive) and it should give you options about which drive to format.
    > That is, of course, assuming you want to put XP back on.
    > If you're switching to linux or somthing try their install CDs. Most of
    > them have disk partitioners built in nowadays.

    If the computer boots normally to Windows with the CD installed, you'll need
    to go into the BIOS setup by hitting the right key at power-up (which key
    depends on your computer- maybe DEL, maybe ESC, or one of the F keys) and
    change the boot device order so it seeks the CD before the HD.

    Jos.
    Jos. Wheeler, Mar 30, 2006
  8. 2004

    old man Guest

    Did'nt you like the responses from your MS ng's post?

    old man, Mar 31, 2006
  9. 2004

    Margolotta Guest

    On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 18:31:10 +0100, Gordon wrote
    (in article <>):

    > Mara wrote:
    >

    >> Or, boot off a 98 boot disk and run "format C:" (without the parenthesis,)

    > pedant mode on:
    >
    > I thought parenthesis were () not ""
    >
    > pedant mode off

    Someone on here called them 'italics'....;o)
    Margolotta, Mar 31, 2006