reformat hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jae Ellison, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. Jae Ellison

    Jae Ellison Guest

    I have labtop that I was given to me by a friend and the laptop has
    problems. It freezes alot and is extreamly slow. So I upgraded to XP(was
    2000 before). However, it still has many problems including freezing and
    users on non-existent network that are administrator so I cannot remove
    these users. So I decided to reformat the hard drive. The problem I have
    is that I only have external CD drive, NO floppy, so I cannot create boot
    disk. I've researched on reformating the hard drive and I think I got the
    solution but it does not work yet.

    First I chaged the boot sequence on my BIOS. At least it looks to me that I
    did, since CD is the first in the list. After I changed boot sequence, I
    reboot my PC and hope that the PC will reboot from the CD drive, but did not
    work. I have windows XP installation CD in my cd drive. Finally I tried to
    reformat my C drive by using format command format c: /fs:ntfs at the run
    prompt, and my computer frozed. I am not sure my PC froze because of the
    reformat command or it frozed because it does that quite often.

    I would appreciate any help.

    Thank you,

    Jae Ellison

    Jae Ellison, Jun 3, 2004

  2. Jae Ellison

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Jae Ellison" <> wrote in

    > work. I have windows XP installation CD in my cd drive. Finally I
    > tried to reformat my C drive by using format command format c:
    > /fs:ntfs at the run prompt, and my computer frozed. I am not sure my
    > PC froze because of the reformat command or it frozed because it does
    > that quite often.

    If the machine is freezing in both windows 2000 and windows XP it more than
    likely has a serious hardware problem, either failing components or it is
    overheating. Reformatting is not likely to fix anything.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Jun 3, 2004