  1. pat

    pat Guest

    can some one tell me what to do when reformat a hard drive thanks [[pat]]

    pat, Jun 12, 2005

  2. pat

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "pat" <> wrote in message
    news:n9Yqe.3$...
    > can some one tell me what to do when reformat a hard drive thanks [[pat]]

    1) Why?

    2) What operating system are you running?

    3) Do you have *all* your data backed up?

    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2005

  3. pat

    7 Guest

    pat wrote:

    > can some one tell me what to do when reformat a hard drive thanks [[pat]]

    You can do that and partition disk with liveCDs.
    DSL, Knoppix, SystemRescueCD etc all come to mind.
    Some 250+ different ones to try from here...
    All open source, free and done up by techies.

    7, Jun 12, 2005
  4. pat

    old jon Guest

    "7" <> wrote in message
    > pat wrote:
    >
    >> can some one tell me what to do when reformat a hard drive thanks
    >> [[pat]]

    You can also do that in Windows. Some people have got linuxitis.

    old jon, Jun 12, 2005
  5. pat

    pat Guest

    win 98 yes I am ready to go

    pat, Jun 12, 2005
  6. pat

    7 Guest

    old jon wrote:

    > "7" <> wrote in message
    >> pat wrote:
    >>
    >>> can some one tell me what to do when reformat a hard drive thanks
    >>> [[pat]]

    > You can also do that in Windows. Some people have got linuxitis.

    Sorry mate, but you cannot do that when windope goes really tits up
    and you need liveCDs like DSL to help out.

    7, Jun 12, 2005
  7. pat

    Guest

    On 7 <> wrote:

    |>old jon wrote:
    |>

    |>> "7" <> wrote in message

    |>> You can also do that in Windows. Some people have got linuxitis.

    |>Sorry mate, but you cannot do that when windope goes really tits up
    |>and you need liveCDs like DSL to help out.

    So they format to a linux format that Windows doesn't understand, and
    have to format again (Fat 32) just to reinstall windows?

    Better approach: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

    --

    , Jun 12, 2005
  8. pat

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Is your system set up to boot from a CD-ROM? (That may need to be checked in
    the CMOS setup.)

    If so, you can boot with the Windows 98 setup CD. But don't let it start the
    install - it should give you a menu. One of the options will be "Start
    Computer with CD-ROM support" - choose that.

    Once it is running, type D: <enter> (or whatever the drive name of your CD
    drive is). The screen should now have "D:>" as the last line (command
    prompt.) Type cd win98 <enter>. Next, type format c: <enter>. Let 'er rip!
    All data will be gone, and the drive will be clean enough to re-install
    Windows 98.

    After W98 is running again, install your Anti-Virus software, go online and
    get this:
    http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

    And I'd recommend getting sypware/adware software installed first too:
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Ad-Aware SE
    SpywareBlaster
    Download each, update it, run it. Update and run each one about once a week,
    just like your anti-virus software (you *do* have anti-virus software
    installed and updated, don't you?)

    Finally, before getting back into newsgroups, while setting up your email
    client and news readers, protect your email address:
    Email Address Munging
    WHY: http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
    HOW: http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html
    MORE: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/spam-faq/
    I'd suggest you add a ".invalid" to the end of your new fake email address
    where it's listed in your account settings. In Outlook Express, click on
    Tools, Accounts, then the News Tab. Select your news server, then click on
    Properties. On the General tab, go to the Email address and add the .invalid
    at the end of the address.

    Good luck!
    Tim

    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2005
  9. pat

    SgtMinor Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Is your system set up to boot from a CD-ROM? (That may need to be checked in
    > the CMOS setup.)
    >
    > If so, you can boot with the Windows 98 setup CD. But don't let it start the
    > install - it should give you a menu. One of the options will be "Start
    > Computer with CD-ROM support" - choose that.
    >
    > Once it is running, type D: <enter> (or whatever the drive name of your CD
    > drive is). The screen should now have "D:>" as the last line (command
    > prompt.) Type cd win98 <enter>. Next, type format c: <enter>. Let 'er rip!
    > All data will be gone, and the drive will be clean enough to re-install
    > Windows 98.
    >
    > After W98 is running again, install your Anti-Virus software, go online and
    > get this:
    > http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
    >
    > And I'd recommend getting sypware/adware software installed first too:
    > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html
    > Ad-Aware SE
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
    > SpywareBlaster
    > Download each, update it, run it. Update and run each one about once a week,
    > just like your anti-virus software (you *do* have anti-virus software
    > installed and updated, don't you?)
    >
    > Finally, before getting back into newsgroups, while setting up your email
    > client and news readers, protect your email address:
    > Email Address Munging
    > WHY: http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
    > HOW: http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html
    > MORE: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/spam-faq/
    > I'd suggest you add a ".invalid" to the end of your new fake email address
    > where it's listed in your account settings. In Outlook Express, click on
    > Tools, Accounts, then the News Tab. Select your news server, then click on
    > Properties. On the General tab, go to the Email address and add the .invalid
    > at the end of the address.
    >
    > Good luck!
    > Tim
    >

    > "pat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> win 98 yes I am ready to go
    >>
    >> "pat" <> wrote in message
    >>> can some one tell me what to do when reformat a hard drive thanks
    >>> [[pat]]

    pat has still not responded to the most important question you asked: "Why?"

    A guy what needs to be told how to format probably has no business doing so.

    SgtMinor, Jun 12, 2005
  10. pat

    Guest

    On 7 <> wrote:
    resent
    |>old jon wrote:
    |>

    |>> "7" <> wrote in message

    |>> You can also do that in Windows. Some people have got linuxitis.

    |>Sorry mate, but you cannot do that when windope goes really tits up
    |>and you need liveCDs like DSL to help out.

    So they format to a linux format that Windows doesn't understand, and
    have to format again (Fat 32) just to reinstall windows?

    Better approach: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348
    (can be used for Win98)

    --

    , Jun 12, 2005
  11. pat

    7 Guest

    wrote:

    > On 7 <> wrote:
    > resent

    > |>Sorry mate, but you cannot do that when windope goes really tits up
    > |>and you need liveCDs like DSL to help out.
    >
    > So they format to a linux format that Windows doesn't understand, and
    > have to format again (Fat 32) just to reinstall windows?

    Nope.

    Run up QtParted and format to FAT32.
    If that didn't work, you have even more serious
    problems that windopes can't handle.

    To wipe the disk, need to enable write to hard disk,
    log in as root (administrator) in a console window
    and then to wipe the disk enter the following...
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=512

    Reboot and either use windopes or QtParted to do
    up your partitions and carry on as normal.

    7, Jun 12, 2005
  12. pat

    Toolman Tim Guest

    <snip>

    >> "pat" <snipped> wrote in message
    >> can some one tell me what to do when reformat a hard drive thanks
    >> [[pat]]

    <snip>

    > pat has still not responded to the most important question you asked:
    > "Why?"
    >
    > A guy what needs to be told how to format probably has no business doing
    > so.

    Yeah - that's why I asked in the first place. But hey, it's his
    computer...if he wants to trash it, that's okay with me ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2005
  13. pat

    pat Guest

    ya ya ya
    every body think they know me' and what I am capable of so don't assume
    that I am some kind of retard [[pat]]

    pat, Jun 12, 2005
  14. pat

    SgtMinor Guest

    pat wrote:
    > ya ya ya
    > every body think they know me' and what I am capable of so don't assume
    > that I am some kind of retard [[pat]]
    >
    > "pat" <> wrote in message
    >> can some one tell me what to do when reformat a hard drive thanks [[pat]]

    Funny thing, but people who don't use the Shift key when they compose a
    post are often not the sharpest knives in the kitchen.

    Write back when you can't find the drivers you need.

    Best of luck in the meantime.

    --
    "And I mean that in a good way."

    SgtMinor, Jun 12, 2005