    and choose run with cd- rom support and then format and install ME. I
    know there is a little more to it but my concern is will I need a
    windows 98 disk at all?
    luvtogofast, Nov 20, 2003

  2. luvtogofast

    Boomer Guest

    luvtogofast <> wrote in
    news::

    > I am looking for some advice on reformatting a hard drive that is
    > currently running Windows 98, and reinstalling Windows ME.
    >
    > My co-worker is having problems with her PC. It is a 233 MHz
    > pentium running 98 and she dosent have a copy of 98 for some
    > reason, so she purchased a full install of windows ME.
    >
    > I belive I have to make a boot disk from 98 and start with the
    > disk and choose run with cd- rom support and then format and
    > install ME. I know there is a little more to it but my concern is
    > will I need a windows 98 disk at all?

    I would suggest cleaning up 98 and not installing ME.
    Boomer, Nov 20, 2003

  3. luvtogofast

    Harrison Guest

    If the ME is a full version and not an upgrade, no 98 cd is required.
    The full install ME should come with a boot disk, but the 98 boot disk
    will do as well.
    Boot to the disk and run setup.exe on the cd.

    You may want to make sure you have hardware drivers on hand before you
    start.

    Harrison, Nov 20, 2003
  4. luvtogofast

    Patrick Guest

    luvtogofast wrote:
    > I am looking for some advice on reformatting a hard drive that is
    > currently running Windows 98, and reinstalling Windows ME.
    >
    > My co-worker is having problems with her PC. It is a 233 MHz pentium
    > running 98 and she dosent have a copy of 98 for some reason, so she
    > purchased a full install of windows ME.
    >
    > I belive I have to make a boot disk from 98 and start with the disk
    > and choose run with cd- rom support and then format and install ME. I
    > know there is a little more to it but my concern is will I need a
    > windows 98 disk at all?

    Bootdisc utilitys for any Windows version can be downloaded from link below.
    (scroll down to Win ME).
    Note; the file you download (to your Desktop) will be an executable-file,
    put formatted-floppy in floppy-drive, run the program (double-click it),
    follow instructions.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    Patrick, Nov 20, 2003
  5. luvtogofast

    luvtogofast Guest

    Is it possible to back up the drivers from the computer before I
    format? If so, how?

    luvtogofast, Nov 20, 2003
  6. luvtogofast

    M Mullen Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:13:31 -0500, luvtogofast <>
    wrote:

    |> Is it possible to back up the drivers from the computer before I
    |> format? If so, how?

    No it's not feasible.

    --
    ,,
    ( "> w
    M Mullen, Nov 22, 2003
  7. luvtogofast

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:20:21 -0800, M Mullen <>
    scribbled:

    >On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:13:31 -0500, luvtogofast <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >|> Is it possible to back up the drivers from the computer before I
    >|> format? If so, how?
    >
    >No it's not feasible.

    You mean he couldn't download them, burn them to CD
    and then reformat and reinstall?

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Nov 22, 2003
  8. luvtogofast

    M Mullen Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 08:30:29 GMT, -= Hawk =- <>
    wrote:

    |> >No it's not feasible.
    |>
    |> You mean he couldn't download them, burn them to CD
    |> and then reformat and reinstall?

    Oh sure that's what I do.

    The answer to his question is yes, but you need to grab all drivers for that
    device, all of the registry entries, then create an install program for them,,,
    Not feasible.
    --
    ,,
    M Mullen, Nov 24, 2003
  9. luvtogofast

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 00:25:58 -0800, M Mullen <> wrote:

    >|> You mean he couldn't download them, burn them to CD
    >|> and then reformat and reinstall?
    >
    >Oh sure that's what I do.
    >
    >The answer to his question is yes, but you need to grab all drivers for that
    >device, all of the registry entries, then create an install program for them,,,
    >Not feasible.

    I read somewhere that you can backup all the files in the window\inf directory and
    refer to them when reinstalling.

    >--

    -Barry
    ========