    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/cognative.shtml

    Regards,
    /Michael
    Michael, Jan 18, 2004

  2. Michael

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Michael <> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > The Luminous Landscape guy has written some follow up commentary on his
    > recent review of the Sony F828, and the criticism it drew from both Canon
    > and Sony camps.
    >
    > I found it to be quite an interesting piece that discusses noise issues and
    > how we often weigh that too much too heavily against important issues such
    > as usability and ergonomics.
    >
    > I recommend it to everyone who's interested in digital noise and how we
    > react to it when reading a review:

    Very interesting I found it too. Very much how I feel about reviews
    myself, and it's just not cameras either, that they nearly always have
    to just pick holes in something about a product. But as this chap quite
    well points out, they never say whether the product actually performs
    its task or not.

    As a rule most cameras will produce reasonable results based on the
    price you pay. Occasionally there will be an exception, either a very
    good value camera, or a poor one.

    In the end, you can only look at the main features that suit your needs.
    IMHO, the actual image quality doesn't change that much in cameras of a
    similar level, only the ability of the operator does.

    Having said that, I don't even thing there's all that much difference in
    image quality when you view images below the resolution the image was
    taken at. Of course you have more flexibility with editing with better
    quality images, but that is again a feature you need to decide for
    yourself if it's important.

    --
    Andy Hewitt ** FAF#1, (Ex-OSOS#5 - BMW K100RS 8v)
    Honda Concerto 16v: Windows free zone (Mac G3)
    Andy Hewitt, Jan 18, 2004

  3. Michael

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > The Luminous Landscape guy has written some follow up commentary on his
    > recent review of the Sony F828, and the criticism it drew from both Canon
    > and Sony camps.
    >
    > I found it to be quite an interesting piece that discusses noise issues and
    > how we often weigh that too much too heavily against important issues such
    > as usability and ergonomics.

    I just *love* this quote from his article:

    "There's more to cameras than specifications and numbers. There's more
    to photography than knobs and switches. There's more to our craft than
    MTF charts and optical aberration measurements. Photography is an art.
    Photography can be a way of life. Cameras are more than just tecky devices
    to be fondled sitting on the couch in ones den, or debated ad-nausium on
    web forums."

    Jim Townsend, Jan 18, 2004