    --
    Geoff Pearson
    Scotland, UK
    Geoff Pearson, Jan 9, 2005

  2. Geoff Pearson

    Ira Hayes Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've just bought a new HP 45 ink cartridge (42mL of black ink each) and
    > now have two empty ones lying around. Has anyone had real success in
    > refilling these?
    >
    > --
    > Geoff Pearson
    > Scotland, UK

    You can refill them but the consensus seems to be that the print quality
    isn't as good as a new OEM one-- but it may be "good enough" for your
    purposes.

    This is a bit of a pain-- but you could use OEM cartridges for important
    printing that you send to someone-- or for photos you want to keep-- and
    swap out and use the refilled carts for drafts, etc.
    Ira Hayes, Jan 9, 2005

  3. "Ira Hayes" <> wrote in message
    > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >> I've just bought a new HP 45 ink cartridge (42mL of black ink each) and
    >> now have two empty ones lying around. Has anyone had real success in
    >> refilling these?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Geoff Pearson
    >> Scotland, UK
    >>

    > You can refill them but the consensus seems to be that the print quality
    > isn't as good as a new OEM one-- but it may be "good enough" for your
    > purposes.
    >
    > This is a bit of a pain-- but you could use OEM cartridges for important
    > printing that you send to someone-- or for photos you want to keep-- and
    > swap out and use the refilled carts for drafts, etc.

    That was my hunch - if this were really worth doing there would be a big
    market, and there isn't.
    Geoff Pearson, Jan 9, 2005
  4. Geoff Pearson

    EricP Guest

    On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 12:53:27 -0000, "Geoff Pearson"
    <> wrote:

    >I've just bought a new HP 45 ink cartridge (42mL of black ink each) and now
    >have two empty ones lying around. Has anyone had real success in refilling
    >these?

    I always refill mine, but you have left it too long to use those. They
    need refilling immediately they go dead. Don't use a "general" ink,
    get a specific one for HP. The black is usually a dye. There is no
    difference if you get decent ink.
    EricP, Jan 9, 2005
  5. The best thing I can suggest is go to a shop that refills they charge
    between £10-15 per cartridge then you are still making a large saving
    because cartridges cost on average £20 each for new but it takes away all
    the hassle of refilling them there is a shop in Preston where I come from
    called cartridge world do a search online I am sure you will find one near
    you

    David Hemingsley, Jan 9, 2005
  6. Geoff Pearson

    Stickems. Guest

    The market is gigantic. There is no difference in the quality if you use a
    respectable company's product. I can refill and even buy Canon equivalents
    for a fraction of the Canon price.

    Stickems., Jan 9, 2005
  7. I let these folks refill my cartridges. Love it! I bought the
    JetPacks. I ordered seven and they sent me eight.....;o)

    http://www.printpal.com/bestprice.html

    However, if you are not in the US, it might not be feasible.

    If you don't refill the ones you have laying around, immediately,
    the sponge thingie inside the cartridge will dry up completely,
    and the cartridge will need to be tossed in the garbage.

    "Geoff Pearson" <> chiseled in stone, the
    following words news::

    @}-}-------Rosee, Jan 9, 2005
  8. Geoff Pearson

    Bob B Guest

    "@}-}-------Rosee" <!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote in message
    > I let these folks refill my cartridges. Love it! I bought the
    > JetPacks. I ordered seven and they sent me eight.....;o)
    >
    > http://www.printpal.com/bestprice.html
    >
    > However, if you are not in the US, it might not be feasible.
    >
    > If you don't refill the ones you have laying around, immediately,
    > the sponge thingie inside the cartridge will dry up completely,
    > and the cartridge will need to be tossed in the garbage.
    >
    > "Geoff Pearson" <> chiseled in stone, the
    > following words news::
    >
    > > I've just bought a new HP 45 ink cartridge (42mL of black ink each)
    > > and now have two empty ones lying around. Has anyone had real success
    > > in refilling these?

    Why would anybody refill cartridges when you can buy compatibles for
    peanuts. Loads of companies listed in the magazine computeractive ...my
    favourite is www.choicestationary.com BB
    Bob B, Jan 9, 2005
  9. Geoff Pearson

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, Geoff Pearson says...

    > That was my hunch - if this were really worth doing there would be a big
    > market, and there isn't.

    Catridge World in the UK doesn't exist then with 100's of retail
    outlets.

    http://www.cartridgeworld.co.uk/

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
    Conor, Jan 9, 2005
  10. Geoff Pearson

    Bob B Guest

    "Conor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Geoff Pearson says...
    >
    > > That was my hunch - if this were really worth doing there would be a big
    > > market, and there isn't.
    > >

    > Catridge World in the UK doesn't exist then with 100's of retail
    > outlets.
    >
    > http://www.cartridgeworld.co.uk/
    >
    >The compatible colour and black cartridges for my epson 760 cost less than

    £1.50p each and free post.... BB refilling looks expensive !!
    Bob B, Jan 9, 2005
  11. Geoff Pearson

    Trent SC Guest

    > I've just bought a new HP 45 ink cartridge (42mL of black ink each) and
    > now have two empty ones lying around. Has anyone had real success in
    > refilling these?

    In the UK there are a number of options available to you.

    By far the cheapest is to buy refill kits - bottles, syringes and rubber
    stoppers (you'll need copious amounts of tissue paper). The downside of
    this is that the inks tend to be generic and don't always match the
    manufacturer's. JetTec is a brand name which is said to have a good
    reputation.

    Next up is to take the near-empty cartridges to a reputable refiller who
    will do the job for you and will often have a large number of inks
    available, so they should be able to match the ink type (and not just the
    ink colour). There are two larger franchises - Cartridge World and Ink
    Express - which have branches nationwide.

    Next up are the ready-made cartridges from these outlets. A little more
    expensive, but quicker and less hassle than farting around with empty
    cartridges. As has already been said, once the cartridge is empty you need
    to move fast, otherwise the sponges will deteriorate quickly.

    Next, you can buy another company's ink cartridge from the likes of
    Dixons/PC World/WH Smith. The chances are that the quality of these is
    close or identical to the franchise outlet's versions. And finally there
    are the manufacturer's cartridges: frighteningly expensive, but you're
    absolutely guaranteed to get an exact colour match.

    My recommendation would be to try the franchisee's cartridges, and if they
    work, stick to them. Otherwise, use them for day-to-day stuff and swap them
    out for a spare set of original manufacturer's jobbies for the family
    photos.
    Trent SC, Jan 9, 2005