reference image appearances, etc.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dale, Jan 27, 2014.

  1. Dale

    Dale Guest

    ICC used to have a "print reference medium"
    http://www.color.org

    I don't know if they still have it

    it was the only attempt at appearance matching as opposed to color
    matching I saw

    ICC ought to have appearance tags in their input/output/etc. profiles

    they would also need the CMM to flag incompatible appearances

    incompatibility is like trying to render a print appearance to a
    transparency/translucency/projection appearance
    (I ran into this at Kodak)

    you can't really unbuild a compressed appearance gamut like print or a
    small RGB space to a bigger gamut, this is like creating information,
    except maybe in consumer applications where a larger tolerance is
    accepted, like cell phones

    I realize appearance is also image dependent and you can't do much of
    that with ICC or pro images, leaving some work for editing, Kodak had
    scene balance algorithms that worked well for consumer images (reducing
    the number of edits to zero in most cases)

    --
    Dale
    Dale, Jan 27, 2014

  2. Dale

    Dale Guest

    I guess working spaces might cover this ...

    --
    Dale
    Dale, Jan 29, 2014

  3. Dale

    Dale Guest

    On 01/29/2014 03:27 AM, Dale wrote:
    > I guess working spaces might cover this ...

    the only image editor I have is gimp

    it has two use cases for color management

    1) monitor/soft proof
    2) hard proof

    --
    Dale