"Refer Madness" R1 DVD, Specs, April 20th

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mike McGee, Jan 12, 2004.

  1. Mike McGee

    Mike McGee Guest

    The full Press Release, complete with the DVD cover image, can be found
    here:
    http://www.thedigitalreview.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=555

    Refer Madness DVD, April 20th
    ("is it just a coincidence that this film, is released on 4:20" - Mike)

    Bonus Materials:
    Includes All New colorized version and restored original B&W version,
    audio commentary by Mike Nelson of "Mystery Science Theater 3000",
    audio commentary by the Legend Films Color design team, short film:
    Grandpra's Marijuana Handbook, reefer Madness trailer

    Specs:
    Color version: Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, B/W version: English Mono and
    commentary: Dolby 2.0, Video: 1.33:1

    --
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Mike McGee

    Mike McGee, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Mike McGee

    Bondee Guest

    "Mike McGee" <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> wrote in message

    > Specs:
    > Color version: Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS,

    Now you too can get blatted in glorious surround sound!!!

    Bondee, Jan 12, 2004

  3. Mike McGee

    Mark W Guest

    You should 'refer' to a dictionary.

    Mark W, Jan 12, 2004
  4. Mike McGee

    Scot Gardner Guest

    Re: "Reefer Madness" R1 DVD, Specs, April 20th

    "Mike McGee" <admin@_removenospam_thedigitalreview.com> wrote in message

    > The full Press Release, complete with the DVD cover image, can be
    > found here:
    > http://www.thedigitalreview.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=555

    Now that _Reefer Madness_(1936) is getting the restoration that it
    deserves, maybe _Marihuana_ (1936) and _The Cocaine Fiends_
    (1935 will also get the same treatment. For those who just can't wait,
    _Reefer Madness_, and two other similar titles, are available now,
    at bargain basement prices:

    A routine trip to Tower turned into a bargain bonanza. All of the Alpha
    Video titles were on sale for $6.99. It looks like Alpha specializes in
    releasing public domain titles on DVD. Yet, unlike the public domain
    titles from Madacy, the Alpha titles are somewhat watchable.

    Although they are not pristine in picture and sound, these Alpha DVD
    titles are still very entertaining:

    _Reefer Madness_ (1938) "Sin, degradation, vice, insanity. Drug crazed
    Abandon!" A case study of all-American high school kids Bill and Mary
    highlights the danger of marijuana use when the teens change from
    tennis-playing, iced tea-drinkers to fiendish, promiscuous, dope addicts
    after sampling one joint.

    _Marihuana_ (1936): "The picture that exposes hushed-up truths!" A young
    girl drowns while skinny-dipping at a beach party. Another teen gets
    pregnant after a turn with her boyfriend in the sand - both the result
    of dope smoking. The mother-to-be gives up her baby and becomes a
    hardened drug dealer, earning fur coats and diamond rings while coldly
    turning her clientele into drug addicts.

    _The Cocaine Fiends_ (1935): "Senses drowned in forbidden pleasures."
    A special "headache powder" leaves Jane feeling instantly exhilarated.
    Young sleigh-riding "snowbirds" find that their anxiety and fatigue can
    be instantly relieved by this wonderful medication. But the new miracle
    drug soon causes its users to spiral downward into hopeless depraved
    squalor and tragedy.

    http://www.oldies.com/product/view.cfm/id/4024D.html

    http://www.oldies.com/product/view.cfm/id/4182D.html

    http://www.oldies.com/product/view.cfm/id/4135D.html

    Scot Gardner, Jan 12, 2004
  5. Mike McGee

    Mike McGee Guest

    In article <>, Mark W <s@o>
    wrote:

    > You should 'refer' to a dictionary.

    Oops, my apologies in the typo. I must have smoked of some bad chronic
    when I posted that spelling. ;)

    --
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    Mike McGee, Jan 12, 2004
  6. Mike McGee wrote:
    > The full Press Release, complete with the DVD cover image, can be found
    > here:
    > http://www.thedigitalreview.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=555
    >

    > Refer Madness DVD, April 20th
    > ("is it just a coincidence that this film, is released on 4:20" - Mike)
    >
    > Bonus Materials:
    > Includes All New colorized version and restored original B&W version,
    > audio commentary by Mike Nelson of "Mystery Science Theater 3000",
    > audio commentary by the Legend Films Color design team, short film:
    > Grandpra's Marijuana Handbook, reefer Madness trailer
    >
    > Specs:
    > Color version: Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS, B/W version: English Mono and
    > commentary: Dolby 2.0, Video: 1.33:1

    Audio commentary by Nelson? I have to get this!

    and tagging wildebeests."
    --Michael J. Nelson

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jan 12, 2004
  7. Re: "Reefer Madness" R1 DVD, Specs, April 20th

    In article <20040112142432.829$>,
    "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:

    > Now that _Reefer Madness_(1936) is getting the restoration that it
    > deserves, maybe _Marihuana_ (1936) and _The Cocaine Fiends_
    > (1935 will also get the same treatment. For those who just can't wait,
    > _Reefer Madness_, and two other similar titles, are available now,
    > at bargain basement prices:

    Something Weird Video has released a single DVD of Reefer Madness,
    Marihuana, and Assassin of Youth (~$30). Don't know how it compares to
    the Alpha versions, since I haven't seen either, but Something Weird
    releases are usually chock-full of entertainment value and extras, if
    not picture quality.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000051S5Y/qid=1073940520//
    ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl74/103-2013865-0889466?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

    ----j7y

    jere7my tho?rpe / 734-769-0913 "There is no spoon." "SPOON!" "There
    >>> <<< is no spoon." "SPOON!" "There is no

    invert liws to reply via email spoon." "SPOON!" -- The Tick vs. Neo

    jere7my tho?rpe, Jan 12, 2004
  8. Re: "Reefer Madness" R1 DVD, Specs, April 20th

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:50:35 -0500, "jere7my tho?rpe" <>
    wrote:

    >In article <20040112142432.829$>,
    > "Scot Gardner" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Now that _Reefer Madness_(1936) is getting the restoration that it
    >> deserves, maybe _Marihuana_ (1936) and _The Cocaine Fiends_
    >> (1935 will also get the same treatment. For those who just can't wait,
    >> _Reefer Madness_, and two other similar titles, are available now,
    >> at bargain basement prices:

    > Something Weird Video has released a single DVD of Reefer Madness,
    >Marihuana, and Assassin of Youth (~$30). Don't know how it compares to
    >the Alpha versions, since I haven't seen either, but Something Weird
    >releases are usually chock-full of entertainment value and extras, if
    >not picture quality.
    >
    >http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000051S5Y/qid=1073940520//
    >ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i0_xgl74/103-2013865-0889466?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

    Until the upcoming April 20th release, the SWV release of this film
    is by far the best. It uses an original though somewhat soft
    theatrical print with the proper "Doped Youth" Title card. The film
    was released in 1935/36 as "Doped Youth" and rereleased in repertoire
    in 1938 and as a learning aid (honestly!) under the title of "Tell
    Your Children!" Only when it was printed to 16mm and distributed
    among the college crowd was it named "Reefer Madness." And the reason
    for that is that the film "Sex Madness" also by Dwain Esper from 1937
    was also making the rounds, and some wag at the distribution agency
    decided that "Reefer Madness" was a good name for the companion title.

    If erm .. "Reefer Madness" is truly getting a proper restoration, then
    the name should be "Doped Youth" and a couple of exposition scenes
    should be removed, since they were only added to the 1938
    "educational" release of "Tell Your Children!"

    Besdies the three films the Something Weird release also has a
    commentary track by David Friedman for "Marihuana" (also the best
    print of this film on video), Dwain Esper's short "Devil's Harvest"and
    a bunch of art stills and drug Scare radio spots.

    .Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Jan 13, 2004