    redundant. I know that I could just secure it and live with it, but...

    I have tried to resolve the problem on my own, but run out of ideas. Please
    advise.

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxsYW4gSi4gUmVpZA==?=, Oct 16, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QWxsYW4gSi4gUmVpZA==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    which router exactly? generally, you can log into 192.168.0.1 with
    the DLink routers. check the wireless setup manually. you do want to
    change the default SSID name to something else.

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:21:01 -0700, Allan J. Reid <Allan J.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 16, 2007

  3. The Router is the D-Link DIR 655.

    I connected a wire to port one and tried connecting to the the IP address
    you gave but could not get access.

    I should have mentioned before that I am running Vista, and the router
    advertises that it is Vista compliant.

    While trying to solve the problem I managed to merge the unwanted network
    with the wanted one, but that did not remove the name from broadcasting. I
    had at first tried to delete it at this screen but could not as it was "in
    use". Now it is gone from that screen, but I can still see the unwanted
    network from other computers and it still shows up in my network screen.
    However other computers cannot access the internet via it. So the problem is
    benign; just untidy. Can I unmerge the two networks, shut them down and then
    delete the unwanted one?

    =?Utf-8?B?QWxsYW4gSi4gUmVpZA==?=, Oct 16, 2007
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QWxsYW4gSi4gUmVpZA==?=

    Barb Bowman Guest

    So, are you willing to try setting it up a different way? First,
    reset the router to factory defaults.

    Then (and this was just published) see
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsvista/bowman_hardware.mspx

    scroll down til you see the section on the DIR-655 ;-) try wifi
    protected setup.

    seriously, I've setup this router many times this way and it is the
    one I am personally using.

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:33:02 -0700, Allan J. Reid
    <> wrote:

    >The Router is the D-Link DIR 655.
    >
    >I connected a wire to port one and tried connecting to the the IP address
    >you gave but could not get access.
    >
    >I should have mentioned before that I am running Vista, and the router
    >advertises that it is Vista compliant.
    >
    >While trying to solve the problem I managed to merge the unwanted network
    >with the wanted one, but that did not remove the name from broadcasting. I
    >had at first tried to delete it at this screen but could not as it was "in
    >use". Now it is gone from that screen, but I can still see the unwanted
    >network from other computers and it still shows up in my network screen.
    >However other computers cannot access the internet via it. So the problem is
    >benign; just untidy. Can I unmerge the two networks, shut them down and then
    >delete the unwanted one?
    >

    >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
    >
    >> which router exactly? generally, you can log into 192.168.0.1 with
    >> the DLink routers. check the wireless setup manually. you do want to
    >> change the default SSID name to something else.
    >>
    >> On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 09:21:01 -0700, Allan J. Reid <Allan J.
    >> > wrote:
    >>
    >> >When installing my new D-Link wireless router I followed the process using
    >> >their included CD. At one point it asked me to name the network, which I did.
    >> >Now that my network is up and running I have two networks, the one that I
    >> >named, which is unsecure, and another one with the router's default name
    >> >which is secure. I would like to delete the unsecure network as it is
    >> >redundant. I know that I could just secure it and live with it, but...
    >> >
    >> >I have tried to resolve the problem on my own, but run out of ideas. Please
    >> >advise.

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Oct 16, 2007
  5. Hi
    Are you sure that both are your networks.
    You can not configure two Wireless Networks with one wireless Router.
    Where is exactly the spot (menu) that you see tow Wireless Networks?
    Might be that you are confusing the general name of your local Network with
    the SSID of the Wireless.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 16, 2007