    exciting I can do with it, apart from pay shitloads 4 Sky, or make a bird
    bath? :)

    Worm

    Worm, Jul 13, 2003

  2. Worm

    Brett Cooper Guest

    You could sell it to some wireless area network freaks for use as a high
    gain wireless lan antenna.

    Or the fake radar car sound great, maybe you could park outside the beehive
    and point the disk at the building. Great way to meet interesting people.

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Worm

    Brett Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:35:04 +1200, "Worm"
    <> wrote:

    >"Brett Cooper" <> wrote in message
    >> You could sell it to some wireless area network freaks for use as a high
    >> gain wireless lan antenna.
    >>

    >I was actually thinking of using it for wireless purposes myself...but
    >didn't think it would be suitable as it would be so directional...? There
    >are several nodes in my neighbourhood, and the cabling comes out of the wall
    >right beside my computer :)
    >

    >Worm

    Good luck doing the wireless thing. Where are you in NZ?
    I think the dish is used to point at an omine direction antener (eak me
    spelling). Here are some sites that might help you.

    http://nosx.suddenlaunch.com/index.cgi
    http://www.nzwireless.org/

    Good luck. I would love to setup my own wireless node, pretty much like
    the olden days of local bbs's.

    Brett

    Brett Cooper, Jul 14, 2003
  4. "Brett Cooper" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 13:35:04 +1200, "Worm"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Brett Cooper" <> wrote in message
    > >> You could sell it to some wireless area network freaks for use as a

    high
    > >> gain wireless lan antenna.
    > >>

    > >I was actually thinking of using it for wireless purposes myself...but
    > >didn't think it would be suitable as it would be so directional...?

    There
    > >are several nodes in my neighbourhood, and the cabling comes out of the

    wall
    > >right beside my computer :)

    Different Antennas are designed for different frequenies so a pringles can
    ( http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448)
    will work alot better than a Sky Antenna for 802.11 Wireless.

    Thanks
    Craig

    Craig Whitmore, Jul 14, 2003
  5. Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > Different Antennas are designed for different frequenies so a pringles can
    > ( http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448)
    > will work alot better than a Sky Antenna for 802.11 Wireless.

    You cna put a pringles can type antenna with the opening at te focal point of
    the sat dish and use it to get more gain.

    If it wasnt so freeking cold I would be on the roof playing with my old sky dish
    now...

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 14, 2003
  6. Worm

    Worm Guest

    > Good luck doing the wireless thing. Where are you in NZ?
    > I think the dish is used to point at an omine direction antener (eak me
    > spelling). Here are some sites that might help you.

    I'm in Dunedin. According to nodedb.com, there's quite a few nodes going up
    about the place! The Pringles can sounds interesting :)

    Worm

    Worm, Jul 14, 2003
  7. "Worm" <> wrote in message
    > "Brett Cooper" <> wrote in message
    > > Good luck doing the wireless thing. Where are you in NZ?
    > > I think the dish is used to point at an omine direction antener (eak me
    > > spelling). Here are some sites that might help you.

    > I'm in Dunedin. According to nodedb.com, there's quite a few nodes going

    up
    > about the place! The Pringles can sounds interesting :)

    I registered as interetested in starting.. but I need to gather the cash :).
    If I did it, I'd get a connected-by-network-cable external wireless rig so
    that I could actually mount it on my roof for minimum loss of signal between
    it and the pringles can.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jul 15, 2003
  8. Worm

    Worm Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > I registered as interetested in starting.. but I need to gather the cash

    :).
    > If I did it, I'd get a connected-by-network-cable external wireless rig so
    > that I could actually mount it on my roof for minimum loss of signal

    between
    > it and the pringles can.

    What costs are actually involved? Like the "wireless card", some sort of
    antenna etc.

    Worm

    Worm, Jul 15, 2003