Redundant Network Failure - Need Ideas/Solutions

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Matt, Mar 28, 2006.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    This is more of a question about possible solutions to a problem that
    we experienced recently.

    QUESTIONS:
    -Are there any tools/protocols/setup/solutions/equipment/etc that would
    have helped my network to either automatically respond or more quickly
    respond to network latency on one of my Internet providers that one our
    clients uses for inbound connectivity to our location.
    -Even if I had the most elaborate routing, multiple ISPs, tools, etc.,
    do I still have no control over the inbound connection of my client in
    a BGP environment.

    CONFIGURATION:
    Two Internet providers (1 Tier 1 and 1 Tier 2) setup with BGP on two
    2600XM routers taking default routes (the routers are no longer able to
    handle full routes).
    -Outbound traffic is directed to the Tier 1 network. No outbound load
    balancing is done since we are just using default routes.

    PROBLEM EXPERIENCED:
    -Client A was experiencing latency of 200+ ms and was not able to use
    the application.
    -troubleshooting was a bit confusing since I saw latency on both
    Internet providers but in the end it was just on the Tier 2 provider.
    -It was determined that the tier 2 provider was experiencing latency on
    one of its edge routers but it did not go down.
    -It was determined that client A was using the tier 2 provider for
    inbound connectivity which as far as I know can only be chosen by their
    provider. Is there is some other way????
    -After about 2hr and 15 minutes, I decided to shut down the tier 2
    provider to force all connectivity for inbound and outbound through the
    tier 1 provider. I only did this after confirming that our other
    client would not be affected and as a last resort. This does not seem
    to be the best way to go about resolving the issue.
    -This brought up the client to acceptable latency.

    This was considered a redundancy failure by the client and my company's
    management.

    Your comments/help are appreciated.

    Regards,
    Matt
    Matt, Mar 28, 2006

  2. Matt

    Merv Guest

    If you only want to use the tier 2 connection as backup, then
    invetigate conditonal route advertisment. Only advertise your network
    block when the tier 1's backbone routes( trace routes will reveal the
    blocks being used on the tier 1 bb links) is reachable via the router
    connected directly to the tier 1.
    Merv, Mar 28, 2006

  3. Matt

    stephen Guest

    "Matt" <> wrote in message
    > This is more of a question about possible solutions to a problem that
    > we experienced recently.
    >
    > QUESTIONS:
    > -Are there any tools/protocols/setup/solutions/equipment/etc that would
    > have helped my network to either automatically respond or more quickly
    > respond to network latency on one of my Internet providers that one our
    > clients uses for inbound connectivity to our location.
    > -Even if I had the most elaborate routing, multiple ISPs, tools, etc.,
    > do I still have no control over the inbound connection of my client in
    > a BGP environment.

    there are a bunch of things like this you can do with object tracking and
    policy based routing.

    have a look at this for ideas:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5413/products_feature_guide09186a00801d862d.html

    objects let you alter routing based on ping and other packets sourced from
    the router.

    we used something like this to influence BGP for a dual link in MPLS where
    there were multiple 2M circuits in a load balance group.

    --
    Regards

    - replace xyz with ntl
    stephen, Mar 31, 2006