Redundant Colocation Setup

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Gerald Krause, Aug 16, 2005.

  1. How can I suitable handle a bunch of colocation (server) customers, all with
    their own /30 transfernets and vlans in consideration of that the only SPOF
    should be the _first_ switch they are connected to. Possible setup without
    L2 redundancy:

    <-------------------------- CUSTOMER-IP's | CORE-IP's---------->
    NO REDUNDANCY | L3 IGP(OSPF) REDUNDANCY
    +-----+
    CUST1---VL1-----|L2-SW|
    CUST2---VL2-----| 1 |
    CUST3---VL3-----| | lnk1 +----------+
    ... | |---TRUNK1-----|L3-COLO-GW|--->IP-100/UPLINK1-->
    +-----+ | |
    +---| |--->IP-101/UPLINK2-->
    +-----+ | +----------+
    CUST11---VL11---|L2-SW| | VL1/IP-1
    CUST12---VL12---| 2 | | VL2/IP-2
    CUST13---VL13---| | lnk2 | VL3/IP-3
    ... | |---TRUNK2-+ VL11/IP-11
    +-----+ ...

    Is a L2-redundancy/HSRP setup towards the customer with a second L3-COLO-GW
    (4908G-L3) in this situation possible? Thx for any hints to my brain ;-)

    -Gerald

    Gerald Krause, Aug 16, 2005

  2. Gerald Krause

    Mark Lar Guest

    Gerald Krause wrote:

    > How can I suitable handle a bunch of colocation (server) customers, all with
    > their own /30 transfernets and vlans in consideration of that the only SPOF
    > should be the _first_ switch they are connected to. Possible setup without
    > L2 redundancy:
    >

    > <-------------------------- CUSTOMER-IP's | CORE-IP's---------->
    > NO REDUNDANCY | L3 IGP(OSPF) REDUNDANCY
    > +-----+
    > CUST1---VL1-----|L2-SW|
    > CUST2---VL2-----| 1 |
    > CUST3---VL3-----| | lnk1 +----------+
    > ... | |---TRUNK1-----|L3-COLO-GW|--->IP-100/UPLINK1-->
    > +-----+ | |
    > +---| |--->IP-101/UPLINK2-->
    > +-----+ | +----------+
    > CUST11---VL11---|L2-SW| | VL1/IP-1
    > CUST12---VL12---| 2 | | VL2/IP-2
    > CUST13---VL13---| | lnk2 | VL3/IP-3
    > ... | |---TRUNK2-+ VL11/IP-11
    > +-----+ ...
    >

    > Is a L2-redundancy/HSRP setup towards the customer with a second L3-COLO-GW
    > (4908G-L3) in this situation possible? Thx for any hints to my brain ;-)
    >
    > -Gerald

    Yes, but you'll need to do it for each vlan on the l3-colo-gw's and
    ensure they can see each other at layer 2. Easier to manage if you can
    trunk the l2's together and let PVST do it's thing.

    Mark Lar, Aug 16, 2005

  3. Mark Lar wrote:

    > Gerald Krause wrote:
    >
    >> How can I suitable handle a bunch of colocation (server) customers, all
    >> with their own /30 transfernets and vlans in consideration of that the
    >> only SPOF should be the _first_ switch they are connected to. Possible
    >> setup without L2 redundancy:
    >>

    >> <-------------------------- CUSTOMER-IP's | CORE-IP's---------->
    >> NO REDUNDANCY | L3 IGP(OSPF) REDUNDANCY
    >> +-----+
    >> CUST1---VL1-----|L2-SW|
    >> CUST2---VL2-----| 1 |
    >> CUST3---VL3-----| | lnk1 +----------+
    >> ... | |---TRUNK1-----|L3-COLO-GW|--->IP-100/UPLINK1-->
    >> +-----+ | |
    >> +---| |--->IP-101/UPLINK2-->
    >> +-----+ | +----------+
    >> CUST11---VL11---|L2-SW| | VL1/IP-1
    >> CUST12---VL12---| 2 | | VL2/IP-2
    >> CUST13---VL13---| | lnk2 | VL3/IP-3
    >> ... | |---TRUNK2-+ VL11/IP-11
    >> +-----+ ...
    >>

    >> Is a L2-redundancy/HSRP setup towards the customer with a second
    >> L3-COLO-GW (4908G-L3) in this situation possible? Thx for any hints to my
    >> brain ;-)
    >>
    >> -Gerald

    > Yes, but you'll need to do it for each vlan on the l3-colo-gw's and
    > ensure they can see each other at layer 2.

    I thought a distinct HSRP instance for each customer/vlan is something I can
    not deploy because most of them have a /30 transfernet (HSRP = at least 6
    IP's? customer, gw1, gw2, virtual, net, broadcast). Furthermore I'am afraid
    concerning the max count of HSRP instances per L3 system when thinking
    about ~100..200 customers/vlans.

    > Easier to manage if you can
    > trunk the l2's together and let PVST do it's thing.

    Ok, sounds interesting - what did that mean? I've searched for some
    reference designs but all I found is HSRP for such 'dummy' servers.

    -Gerald

    Gerald Krause, Aug 16, 2005