Redundancy across FE ports 7204vxr

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Todd Carew, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. Todd Carew

    Todd Carew Guest

    I have a cisco 7204 vxr now and I want to do some configuration on it.
    but I dont know enough of the cisco IOS to know what to search for
    here is my set up

    1 DS3 serialized interface
    2 Fast ethernet (FE) interfaces labled 0 and 1
    1 dual t1 pri interface labled 0 and 1

    Main bandwith will come in on the DS3 interface
    and go out thru FE0
    into a bandwith shaper/limiter
    and then into an intel switch

    thats the perfect everythign runnign solution

    I need 2 different "failover" solutions though.. seperatly function
    from each other

    One is if the DS3 goes down then it switches over to the t1
    interface.. thats pretty straighforward I can probably have someone do
    that with BGP for me

    My big issue is if the bandwith shaper goes down or stops responding,
    then I want the traffic to get routed to interface FE1 instead,
    bypassing the FE0/bandwith shaper route and
    plug directly into the intel switch (for now..eventally I wll set up a
    fail over switch for that as well)

    I dont know how that failover is programmed in the FE interfaces and
    dont know what its called to research it.

    can anyone give me either sample configs or some keywords to do the
    searcing on?
    Todd Carew, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Todd Carew

    Todd Carew Guest

    Is there no help for me??? lol no one even gave me any suggestions
    Todd Carew, Nov 4, 2003

  3. In article <>,
    Todd Carew <> wrote:
    :Is there no help for me??? lol no one even gave me any suggestions

    It's only been about 13 hours, and most of that was during the time
    that most people in North America are sleeping.

    --
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics."
    -- not Twain, perhaps Disraeli, first quoted by Leonard Courtney
    Walter Roberson, Nov 4, 2003
  4. Todd Carew

    Todd Carew Guest

    (Todd Carew) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have a cisco 7204 vxr now and I want to do some configuration on it.
    > but I dont know enough of the cisco IOS to know what to search for
    > here is my set up
    >

    > 1 DS3 serialized interface
    > 2 Fast ethernet (FE) interfaces labled 0 and 1
    > 1 dual t1 pri interface labled 0 and 1
    >

    > Main bandwith will come in on the DS3 interface
    > and go out thru FE0
    > into a bandwith shaper/limiter
    > and then into an intel switch
    >
    > thats the perfect everythign runnign solution
    >
    > I need 2 different "failover" solutions though.. seperatly function
    > from each other
    >
    > One is if the DS3 goes down then it switches over to the t1
    > interface.. thats pretty straighforward I can probably have someone do
    > that with BGP for me
    >
    > My big issue is if the bandwith shaper goes down or stops responding,
    > then I want the traffic to get routed to interface FE1 instead,
    > bypassing the FE0/bandwith shaper route and
    > plug directly into the intel switch (for now..eventally I wll set up a
    > fail over switch for that as well)
    >
    > I dont know how that failover is programmed in the FE interfaces and
    > dont know what its called to research it.
    >
    > can anyone give me either sample configs or some keywords to do the
    > searcing on?

    is there any suggestions at all?
    Todd Carew, Nov 4, 2003
  5. Todd Carew

    Bob Watson Guest

    Todd Carew wrote:

    > Is there no help for me??? lol no one even gave me any suggestions

    Couple things if you are using the same ISP(Assuming Internet with
    mention of BGP) for the ds3 and t1 link to the internet you should have
    them route the same lan block over both links in the event the ds3 fails
    the tertiary route will kick in on the ISP end and forward traffic over
    the T1. You can do this on your end with a wieghted static. Don't mess
    with BGP unless you are using dual ISP redundancy or are a mini Service
    provider yourself.

    2nd for backing up the Fastethernet use HSRP between the 2 interfaces.
    Idealy this would span 2 different routers.

    This is a Pub zone so Ideally you should run
    1 rtr w/ds3 and Fast E to a cisco switch clustered to another one.
    2 rtr w/t1 and fast e to a secondary switch in the cluster

    Pair of FW's either Cisco/Checkpoint or Netscreen
    With uplink on each switch and run the fw's in failover mode.

    run VRRP or statefull Failover on the FW'S
    Run HSRP between the ethernet and weight your DG for ds3 redundancy.

    This solution provides hardware, cable, and circuit redundancy each step
    of the way.

    Bob Watson
    SBC Datacomm
    Bob Watson, Nov 5, 2003