Reducing quality of jpeg preview in raw images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sachin Garg, Feb 23, 2010.

  1. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    In our Raw image compression software (Rawzor), we are exploring an
    option to allow users to reduce quality of Jpeg preview included
    inside most Raw images. These Jpeg previews take a lot of space,
    sometimes upto 1-2 MB per raw image (10-15% of total size).

    What do you think? Will it be a useful option if it saves another
    10-15% space (taking Rawzor's minimum space saving to 35% range
    instead of current 20% savings). Or will you prefer to have full
    quality JPEG previews? Right now Rawzor does not change 'anything'
    inside raw images.

    My understanding is that the embedded JPEG preview inside RAW images
    is mostly used within camera to check the shot just taken. On a
    computer it helps by allowing quick previews/thumbnails but most
    software like lightroom etc create their own previews/thumbnails and
    don't use the JPEG preview inside RAW image.

    Do you think it will be OK to reduce the quality (and maybe also
    resolution) of jpeg preview to save some space? The lower quality jpeg
    preview will still be enough to be used by any software for showing
    thumbnails etc and it will not have any effect on final image quality.
    Combined with Rawzor's existing technology it will save atleast 1/3rd
    of raw storage space (upto 2/3rd for some raw formats).

    Sachin Garg
    www.rawzor.com
    Sachin Garg, Feb 23, 2010

  2. Sachin Garg

    Paul Furman Guest

    Sachin Garg wrote:
    > In our Raw image compression software (Rawzor), we are exploring an
    > option to allow users to reduce quality of Jpeg preview included
    > inside most Raw images. These Jpeg previews take a lot of space,
    > sometimes upto 1-2 MB per raw image (10-15% of total size).
    >
    > What do you think? Will it be a useful option if it saves another
    > 10-15% space (taking Rawzor's minimum space saving to 35% range
    > instead of current 20% savings). Or will you prefer to have full
    > quality JPEG previews? Right now Rawzor does not change 'anything'
    > inside raw images.
    >
    > My understanding is that the embedded JPEG preview inside RAW images
    > is mostly used within camera to check the shot just taken. On a
    > computer it helps by allowing quick previews/thumbnails but most
    > software like lightroom etc create their own previews/thumbnails and
    > don't use the JPEG preview inside RAW image.
    >
    > Do you think it will be OK to reduce the quality (and maybe also
    > resolution) of jpeg preview to save some space? The lower quality jpeg
    > preview will still be enough to be used by any software for showing
    > thumbnails etc and it will not have any effect on final image quality.
    > Combined with Rawzor's existing technology it will save atleast 1/3rd
    > of raw storage space (upto 2/3rd for some raw formats).

    Yes, that's how I use the DNG converter. I think Irfanview needs those
    but if your goal is compression, that's the price.
    Paul Furman, Feb 24, 2010

  3. Sachin Garg

    Sachin Garg Guest

    On Feb 24, 5:02 am, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    > Sachin Garg wrote:
    > > In our Raw image compression software (Rawzor), we are exploring an
    > > option to allow users to reduce quality of Jpeg preview included
    > > inside most Raw images. These Jpeg previews take a lot of space,
    > > sometimes upto 1-2 MB per raw image (10-15% of total size).

    > > What do you think? Will it be a useful option if it saves another
    > > 10-15% space (taking Rawzor's minimum space saving to 35% range
    > > instead of current 20% savings). Or will you prefer to have full
    > > quality JPEG previews? Right now Rawzor does not change 'anything'
    > > inside raw images.

    > > My understanding is that the embedded JPEG preview inside RAW images
    > > is mostly used within camera to check the shot just taken. On a
    > > computer it helps by allowing quick previews/thumbnails but most
    > > software like lightroom etc create their own previews/thumbnails and
    > > don't use the JPEG preview inside RAW image.

    > > Do you think it will be OK to reduce the quality (and maybe also
    > > resolution) of jpeg preview to save some space? The lower quality jpeg
    > > preview will still be enough to be used by any software for showing
    > > thumbnails etc and it will not have any effect on final image quality.
    > > Combined with Rawzor's existing technology it will save atleast 1/3rd
    > > of raw storage space (upto 2/3rd for some raw formats).

    > Yes, that's how I use the DNG converter. I think Irfanview needs those
    > but if your goal is compression, that's the price.

    Yes, many software rely on the embedded jpeg. That is why we plan to
    only reduce is quality and maybe also size but not remove it entirely.
    It will still be large enough for use as a preview.

    Of course, only if no one comes up with any reason for us to not do
    it. So far it seems like we should add this feature.

    Sachin Garg
    www.rawzor.com
    Sachin Garg, Feb 25, 2010