    something something with win xp pro
    thanks

    Glen

    KiwiRider, Aug 1, 2004

  2. KiwiRider

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:34:21 +1200, KiwiRider wrote:

    > I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
    > computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
    > and they need to be 300 or sommit.
    > Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
    > a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
    > camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
    > Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
    > engrish.
    > Any help appreciaeted.

    File size, generally speaking is irrelevant for images on a website.

    What *is* important for images on a website is the pixel dimensions of the
    image - the number of dots horizontal and vertical.

    On your software there should be the means to resize the pixel dimensions.
    Do that, and then save the result with a different name so that you do not
    overwrite the original file.

    Ultimately, if your are going to do alot of image editing then you should
    buy Photoshop. It is very much worth the money.

    Divine

    --
    Micro$oft Knowledge Base: "When you try to shut down your Microsoft Windows
    XP-based or Microsoft Windows 2000-based computer, the computer may stop

    Divine, Aug 1, 2004

  3. On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:19:05 +1200, Divine <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:34:21 +1200, KiwiRider wrote:
    >
    >> I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
    >> computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
    >> and they need to be 300 or sommit.
    >> Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
    >> a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
    >> camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
    >> Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
    >> engrish.
    >> Any help appreciaeted.

    >File size, generally speaking is irrelevant for images on a website.
    >
    >What *is* important for images on a website is the pixel dimensions of the
    >image - the number of dots horizontal and vertical.
    >
    >On your software there should be the means to resize the pixel dimensions.
    >Do that, and then save the result with a different name so that you do not
    >overwrite the original file.
    >
    >Ultimately, if your are going to do alot of image editing then you should
    >buy Photoshop. It is very much worth the money.
    >

    >Divine

    That is a Way Way Overkill, there are plenty of Utiles & free ones that can
    do that..

    Plus P.S is a very hard program to work with, The Striped down version
    (Elements) is far better but still a over kill.

    640 x 480 is the normal Web page size..

    The GHOST of WOGER., Aug 1, 2004
  4. KiwiRider

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:34:21 +1200, "KiwiRider"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >ok so this is a dumbass question for you fellas who know about these sorts
    >of things.
    >I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
    >computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
    >and they need to be 300 or sommit.
    >Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
    >a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
    >camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
    >Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
    >engrish.
    >Any help appreciaeted.
    >
    >oh and cause i see people asking this question heaps.. its a P2 400
    >something something with win xp pro
    >thanks
    >
    >Glen

    I suppose that depends on what you want the photos on the website for.
    Are they for downloading so that they can be printed out? Then they
    need to be big. My sister sent some monstrous photos from her digital
    camera at up to a meg each but I used ACDSee to resize them to 800x533
    pixels with the compression at 65 for a file size of around 70Kb.
    There was a free version of this programme given away a little while
    ago but you don't need anything as complex as Photoshop for a little
    job like that. IrfanView would probably do the job just fine. Your
    Photo Express programme should handle it too.

    GraB, Aug 1, 2004
  5. KiwiRider

    Divine Guest

    On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 00:35:05 +1200, The GHOST of WOGER. wrote:

    >>File size, generally speaking is irrelevant for images on a website.
    >>
    >>What *is* important for images on a website is the pixel dimensions of
    >>the image - the number of dots horizontal and vertical.
    >>
    >>On your software there should be the means to resize the pixel
    >>dimensions. Do that, and then save the result with a different name so
    >>that you do not overwrite the original file.
    >>
    >>Ultimately, if your are going to do alot of image editing then you
    >>should buy Photoshop. It is very much worth the money.

    > That is a Way Way Overkill, there are plenty of Utiles & free ones that
    > can do that..

    Woger you idiot - did you notice what I said? - "*If* that person is going
    to do *alot* of image editing..." Photoshop has a very much deserved
    reputation as the very best image editing programme.

    > Plus P.S is a very hard program to work with,

    Bullshit!

    It is very easy to use. You just need to know what you're doing.

    > The Striped down version
    > (Elements) is far better but still a over kill.

    Nonsense!

    > 640 x 480 is the normal Web page size..

    Bullshit! That is the very Very old monitor size. The present standard is
    1024*768. And websites should also be easily usable/readable in the
    previous standard screen size of 800*600.

    Divine

    --
    Micro$oft Knowledge Base: "This problem was first corrected in Windows 2000
    Service Pack 2."

    Divine, Aug 1, 2004
  6. KiwiRider

    <> wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >ok so this is a dumbass question for you fellas who know about these sorts
    >of things.
    >I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
    >computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
    >and they need to be 300 or sommit.
    >Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
    >a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
    >camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
    >Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
    >engrish.
    >Any help appreciaeted.
    >
    >oh and cause i see people asking this question heaps.. its a P2 400
    >something something with win xp pro
    >thanks
    >
    >Glen

    PS If you need something of the capabilities of Photoshop have a look
    at Gimp 2 on this month's NZ PC World mag. Nearly as capable as
    Photoshop but free.

    GraB, Aug 1, 2004
  7. KiwiRider

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "The GHOST of WOGER." wrote

    > >Ultimately, if your are going to do alot of image editing then you should
    > >buy Photoshop. It is very much worth the money.

    > That is a Way Way Overkill, there are plenty of Utiles & free ones that

    can
    > do that..
    > Plus P.S is a very hard program to work with, The Striped down version
    > (Elements) is far better but still a over kill.

    Good advice so far.
    But then.........

    > 640 x 480 is the normal Web page size..

    Oh really...........
    Your age and ignorance is showing.

    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Aug 1, 2004
  8. KiwiRider

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "KiwiRider" <> wrote in message

    > Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I

    do have
    > a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy

    digital
    > camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
    > Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
    > engrish.

    I suspect Ulead Photo Express can handle this task very easily. Find it,
    install, and look for information in the help file or documention that
    refers to resizing or rescaling an image.

    Patrick Bold, Aug 1, 2004
  9. KiwiRider

    Ian Boag Guest

    "KiwiRider" <> wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >ok so this is a dumbass question for you fellas who know about these sorts
    >of things.
    >I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
    >computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
    >and they need to be 300 or sommit.
    >Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
    >a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
    >camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
    >Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
    >engrish.
    >Any help appreciaeted.
    >
    >oh and cause i see people asking this question heaps.. its a P2 400
    >something something with win xp pro
    >thanks
    >
    >Glen

    You have two things to do

    1) reduce pixel size to something like 800x600 or less (640 by 480)

    The thing that will surprise you is that the reduced pixel size
    picture is still about the same size in kB.

    2) reduce JPG quality until the image is about 70k or so. This takes a
    bit of trial and error, although once you find a setting that works
    for you on a few pix you can pretty much just use it.

    If you reduce the quality too much the pic goes to shit with
    artifacts, colour steps and other horrid things.

    I'm sure the Ulead Photo Express can do this .......

    Ian Boag, Aug 1, 2004
  10. KiwiRider

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 22:34:21 +1200, "KiwiRider" <> wrote:

    >Hi guys,
    >ok so this is a dumbass question for you fellas who know about these sorts
    >of things.
    >I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
    >computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
    >and they need to be 300 or sommit.
    >Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
    >a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
    >camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
    >Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
    >engrish.

    Resize your photo to 1024x769 or 800x600 (depending on how big you want it to
    look). The second number may be different in those two dimensions depending on
    what aspect the photo was taken in. Make sure you keep the original aspect
    ratio (there should be an option in the resizing). If you don't it will stretch
    your photo. That may mean you have 1024x600 or something.

    Typically when you're saving a jpeg file on the box that lets you choose the
    file name and press save it has an options button. Click that and it should
    have a slide control for the quality of the jpeg. Move it away from best
    quality. I'd suggest trying 3/4 of the way along towards quality.

    Craig Shore, Aug 1, 2004
  11. KiwiRider

    PseUDO Guest

    KiwiRider wrote:
    > Hi guys,
    > ok so this is a dumbass question for you fellas who know about these sorts
    > of things.
    > I want to know how to make the file size of some photos I have put on my
    > computer , smaller so they fit on a website. some of them are like 500 meg?
    > and they need to be 300 or sommit.
    > Any help would be appreciated. i dont have photo shop or anything. I do have
    > a wee program called Ulead Photo Express 4.0 SE (came with my crappy digital
    > camera) and it may be there somewhere but dunno.
    > Remember your talking to a dumbass so no gobble de gook.. just plain
    > engrish.
    > Any help appreciaeted.
    >
    > oh and cause i see people asking this question heaps.. its a P2 400
    > something something with win xp pro
    > thanks
    >
    > Glen

    What you need is Resize-O-Matic, its a 219kb download open source
    program that puts a option in your right click menu in windows explorer etc.

    You right click on a photo and select Resize-O-Matic then choose what
    size picture you want and the photo is resized and given the same file
    name with the word (small) in brackets, so you know which is the new
    resized photo.

    Couldn't be easier!!
    http://imgresizer.sourceforge.net/

    PseUDO

    PseUDO, Aug 2, 2004
  12. In article <cej7cj$flm$>, says...

    > "The GHOST of WOGER." wrote
    >
    > > >Ultimately, if your are going to do alot of image editing then you should
    > > >buy Photoshop. It is very much worth the money.

    > > That is a Way Way Overkill, there are plenty of Utiles & free ones that

    > can
    > > do that..
    > > Plus P.S is a very hard program to work with, The Striped down version
    > > (Elements) is far better but still a over kill.

    > Good advice so far.
    > But then.........
    >
    > > 640 x 480 is the normal Web page size..

    > Oh really...........
    > Your age and ignorance is showing.

    My site stats tell me the following:

    MSIE 6 6032 46.21%
    MSIE 5 5240 40.14%
    Netscape 3 544 4.16%
    Netscape 4 439 3.36%
    Netscape 7 439 3.36%
    MSIE 4 262 2.00%
    Other 59 0.45%
    Opera 6 11 0.08%
    AOL 4 8 0.06%
    MSIE 3 6 0.04%
    Opera 5 6 0.04%
    WebTV 1 4 0.03%
    Netscape 10.89% - MSIE 88.40% - Other 0.67%

    Windows 98 5327 40.81%
    Windows XP 3172 24.30%
    Windows 2000 1699 13.01%
    Windows 95 992 7.59%
    Windows NT 733 5.61%
    Other 628 4.81%
    Macintosh 409 3.13%
    Linux 2 59 0.45%
    WebTV 12 0.09%
    Windows 3.1 6 0.04%
    SunOS 5 5 0.03%
    Windows ME 4 0.03%
    FreeBSD 3 0.02%
    IRIX 2 0.01%
    OS/2 1 0.00%
    AIX 1 0.00%
    Windows 91.41% - Mac 3.13% - Unix 0.53% - Other 4.91%

    800x600 6034 48.94%
    1024x768 4916 39.87%
    1280x1024 444 3.60%
    640x480 379 3.07%
    1152x864 307 2.49%
    Other 183 1.48%
    1600x1200 64 0.51%

    16 Bit (65K) 5672 46.01%
    32 Bit (16.7M) 4745 38.49%
    24 Bit (16.7M) 1314 10.65%
    8 Bit (256) 543 4.40%
    Other 53 0.42%

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 2, 2004
  13. KiwiRider

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message

    > My site stats tell me the following:

    Off-topic. Take it somewhere else.

    Patrick Bold, Aug 2, 2004
  14. Patrick Bold wrote:
    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>My site stats tell me the following:
    >>

    > Off-topic. Take it somewhere else.

    how was it off-topic, the discussion moved to the most popular
    resolution used, and well, he posted his web log of it.
    Mine says basically the same as his too.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 2, 2004
  15. In article <>, says...
    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > My site stats tell me the following:
    > >

    > Off-topic. Take it somewhere else.

    Take yourself somewhere else.

    Patrick Dunford, Aug 2, 2004
  16. KiwiRider

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Patrick Bold" <> wrote in message
    > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > My site stats tell me the following:
    > >

    > Off-topic. Take it somewhere else.

    ???

    Reread again. Most threads tend to veer off the subject header at some
    point. His comments were totally on-topic given the direction the thread
    took.

    RJ out.

    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 2, 2004
  17. KiwiRider

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    > In article <cej7cj$flm$>, says...
    > >

    > My site stats tell me the following:
    >
    > MSIE 6 6032 46.21%
    > MSIE 5 5240 40.14%
    > Netscape 3 544 4.16%
    > Netscape 4 439 3.36%
    > Netscape 7 439 3.36%
    > MSIE 4 262 2.00%
    > Other 59 0.45%
    > Opera 6 11 0.08%
    > AOL 4 8 0.06%
    > MSIE 3 6 0.04%
    > Opera 5 6 0.04%
    > WebTV 1 4 0.03%
    > Netscape 10.89% - MSIE 88.40% - Other 0.67%
    >
    > Windows 98 5327 40.81%
    > Windows XP 3172 24.30%
    > Windows 2000 1699 13.01%
    > Windows 95 992 7.59%
    > Windows NT 733 5.61%
    > Other 628 4.81%
    > Macintosh 409 3.13%
    > Linux 2 59 0.45%
    > WebTV 12 0.09%
    > Windows 3.1 6 0.04%
    > SunOS 5 5 0.03%
    > Windows ME 4 0.03%
    > FreeBSD 3 0.02%
    > IRIX 2 0.01%
    > OS/2 1 0.00%
    > AIX 1 0.00%
    > Windows 91.41% - Mac 3.13% - Unix 0.53% - Other 4.91%
    >
    > 800x600 6034 48.94%
    > 1024x768 4916 39.87%
    > 1280x1024 444 3.60%
    > 640x480 379 3.07%
    > 1152x864 307 2.49%
    > Other 183 1.48%
    > 1600x1200 64 0.51%
    >
    > 16 Bit (65K) 5672 46.01%
    > 32 Bit (16.7M) 4745 38.49%
    > 24 Bit (16.7M) 1314 10.65%
    > 8 Bit (256) 543 4.40%
    > Other 53 0.42%

    Interesting numbers (and I have no reason to believe that they aren't
    typical). The thing that stands out for me is......people are still using
    IE3/IE4 and Windows 3.1 - yikes!

    RJ out.

    Ryan Jacobs, Aug 2, 2004
  18. KiwiRider

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote in message
    > Patrick Bold wrote:
    > > "Patrick Dunford" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>My site stats tell me the following:
    > >>

    > > Off-topic. Take it somewhere else.

    > how was it off-topic, the discussion moved to the most popular
    > resolution used, and well, he posted his web log of it.
    > Mine says basically the same as his too.

    Off-topic because:

    1) it has nothing to do with the OP's question
    2) it's another adolescent "you're stupid" -- "no, you're REALLY
    stupid" contest.

    Patrick Bold, Aug 2, 2004
  19. KiwiRider

    Patrick Bold Guest

    "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message

    > > Off-topic. Take it somewhere else.
    > >

    > ???
    >
    > Reread again. Most threads tend to veer off the subject header at some
    > point. His comments were totally on-topic given the direction the

    thread
    > took.

    Off-topic is off-topic. Veer off in some other thread if you want.

    Patrick Bold, Aug 2, 2004
  20. KiwiRider

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:23:27 +0000, Ian Boag wrote:

    > The thing that will surprise you is that the reduced pixel size
    > picture is still about the same size in kB.

    That is utterly bullshit!

    If you half the dimensions of only one axis then you half the amount of
    bitmapping data. Jpg images compress that data by determining what data
    can be reasonably thrown away without compromising the integrity of the
    image too much.

    So, if you reduce the number of dots/pixels, then by definition the file
    size must also undergo a corresponding reduction in size, assuming the
    same compression ratio is used.

    Divine

    Divine, Aug 2, 2004