    with which I can reduce the image resolution of pictures I saved to my PC so
    that they can be resonably e-mailed?

    Thanks, DG

    David Glass, Sep 13, 2004

  2. Yep...any of them....try the one that came with your camera first....then
    check out freeware and shareware. The programs come for all levels of
    users....sorry but I don't know what is out there for beginners any more.

    Gene Palmiter, Sep 13, 2004

  3. David Glass

    lugan Guest

    If you are using Outlook then it has option of what size iamges you send.
    After you do a regular attachment check on the right side of the
    "attachment" box fro options.
    Use no more than 640x480 for easy emailing.

    lugan, Sep 13, 2004
  4. David Glass wrote:
    > I recently purchased my first digital camera. I love taking, uploading to
    > my PC and viewing 5mp pictures. Some I want to e-mail. My question...I
    > obviously don't want to e-mail the 5mp files. Is there software available
    > with which I can reduce the image resolution of pictures I saved to my PC so
    > that they can be resonably e-mailed?
    >
    > Thanks, DG

    There are a lot of products out there to try. But, once again, I'll
    make the shameless plug for ACDSee, made by ACD Systems. Go to
    http://www.acdsystems.com if you'd like to download a fully functional
    trial version.

    Thanks,

    --
    James Addison
    http://www.pjsoft.ca

    James Addison, Sep 13, 2004
  5. David Glass

    zeitgeist Guest

    > I recently purchased my first digital camera. I love taking, uploading to
    > my PC and viewing 5mp pictures. Some I want to e-mail. My question...I
    > obviously don't want to e-mail the 5mp files. Is there software available
    > with which I can reduce the image resolution of pictures I saved to my PC

    so
    > that they can be resonably e-mailed?

    your camera, or software probably opens the image up as a TIFF file.

    First SAVE AS a jpg. you can select a quality level from min to max.

    if that's too big still (a 5mp can give you a 1 -2 mb file at high quality)
    then reduce the pixel count. for easy emailing and monitor viewing select a
    640x480 image.
    after reduction you should give it a sharpening filter.

    some software has a SAVE FOR WEB that can help you decide what level of
    quality you can reduce the image down to.

    zeitgeist, Sep 13, 2004
  6. David Glass

    PTRAVEL Guest

    >I recently purchased my first digital camera. I love taking, uploading to
    >my PC and viewing 5mp pictures. Some I want to e-mail. My question...I
    >obviously don't want to e-mail the 5mp files. Is there software available
    >with which I can reduce the image resolution of pictures I saved to my PC
    >so that they can be resonably e-mailed?

    Don't reduce the resolution -- compress them! Most photo editors can save
    your files as jpegs (with a .jpg extension). Jpeg is a "lossy" file
    compression format specifically designed for images -- you'll lose some
    resolution, but it's scalable, meaning you can decide how compressed you
    want the images to be, but you'll wind up with excellent quality pictures in
    remarkably small files. You can expect to reduce your 5 meg photo down to
    the 70-100 k range, and still produce something that is eminently viewable
    and can even be printed at the receiving end.

    PTRAVEL, Sep 13, 2004
  7. David Glass

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 03:39:43 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David Glass"
    <> wrote:

    >I recently purchased my first digital camera. I love taking, uploading to
    >my PC and viewing 5mp pictures. Some I want to e-mail. My question...I
    >obviously don't want to e-mail the 5mp files. Is there software available
    >with which I can reduce the image resolution of pictures I saved to my PC so
    >that they can be resonably e-mailed?

    One of the best free programs around is Irfanview, available at
    http://www.irfanview.com be sure to get the plug-ins as well.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Sep 13, 2004
  8. David Glass

    bob Guest

    Ed Ruf <> wrote in

    > One of the best free programs around is Irfanview, available at
    > http://www.irfanview.com be sure to get the plug-ins as well.

    I'm going to second Ed's suggestion for Irfanview. Get it first and then
    see if there's anything else you need.

    Bob

    --
    Delete the inverse SPAM to reply

    bob, Sep 13, 2004
  9. Irfanview will be your friend (and it's free).

    http://www.irfanview.com/

    Just click on Image/Resize

    Mike O'sullivan, Sep 13, 2004