    site.

    Anyone know a method ?

    Thanks Stef

    Stefan, Oct 22, 2006

  2. Stefan

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Stefan wrote:

    > Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file size
    > to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the photos account
    > for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 98) to reduce the file
    > size of pictures when inserted.
    > Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or MS
    > site.
    >
    > Anyone know a method ?
    >
    > Thanks Stef

    Hi Stef, if you look back to yesterday's posts you'll see one from
    Mike with the subject

    How Do I Reduce Pixel Count

    where this subject was covered. basically you can download something
    like irfanview for free and use resize
    http://www.irfanview.com/
    or you can download the powertoy from Microsoft if you're on XP?
    once installed it allows you to right click on any image and reduce
    its size

    Stop and Look
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

    Paul Heslop, Oct 22, 2006

  3. Stefan

    Bob Burns Guest

    Stefan wrote:
    > Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file size
    > to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the photos account
    > for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 98) to reduce the file
    > size of pictures when inserted.
    > Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or MS
    > site.
    >
    > Anyone know a method ?
    >
    > Thanks Stef

    I use Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's free. Google it.

    "Every day is Saturday when you're retired."

    Bob Burns
    Mill Hall PA
    (email is a spamtrap)

    Bob Burns, Oct 22, 2006
  4. "Stefan" <> wrote in message
    > Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file
    > size to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the photos
    > account for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 98) to reduce
    > the file size of pictures when inserted.
    > Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or
    > MS site.
    >
    > Anyone know a method ?

    For Email, XP can do this for you. Select the file (do not open it).
    Select Email this file under the File and Folder tasks. Click on Show more
    options and choose your resolution. I use this a lot as it saves time and
    so far has given excellent results.

    Charles Schuler, Oct 22, 2006
  5. Stefan

    Alan Browne Guest

    Bob Burns wrote:
    > Stefan wrote:
    >
    >> Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file
    >> size to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the
    >> photos account for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 98)
    >> to reduce the file size of pictures when inserted.
    >> Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help'
    >> or MS site.
    >>
    >> Anyone know a method ?
    >>
    >> Thanks Stef
    >>

    > I use Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's free. Google it.

    PS E is not free.

    -- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.

    Alan Browne, Oct 22, 2006
  6. Stefan

    Stefan Guest

    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message

    > "Stefan" <> wrote in message
    >> Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file
    >> size to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the photos
    >> account for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 98) to reduce
    >> the file size of pictures when inserted.
    >> Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or
    >> MS site.
    >>
    >> Anyone know a method ?

    > For Email, XP can do this for you. Select the file (do not open it).
    > Select Email this file under the File and Folder tasks. Click on Show
    > more options and choose your resolution. I use this a lot as it saves
    > time and so far has given excellent results.

    Thanks so far chaps, but it seems you have to reduce before inserting into
    Word ?
    You can't right click to a menu box to give an option to compress/reduce ??

    Stef

    Stefan, Oct 22, 2006
  7. "Stefan" <> wrote in message

    > "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Stefan" <> wrote in message
    >>> Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file
    >>> size to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the
    >>> photos account for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 98)
    >>> to reduce the file size of pictures when inserted.
    >>> Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help'
    >>> or MS site.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know a method ?

    >> For Email, XP can do this for you. Select the file (do not open it).
    >> Select Email this file under the File and Folder tasks. Click on Show
    >> more options and choose your resolution. I use this a lot as it saves
    >> time and so far has given excellent results.
    >>

    > Thanks so far chaps, but it seems you have to reduce before inserting into
    > Word ?
    > You can't right click to a menu box to give an option to compress/reduce
    > ??

    Not that I know of: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320314

    The above link might help and might not. I reduce the resolution of my
    pictures using Photoshop. Irfanview is a free download and will also
    accomplish that.

    Charles Schuler, Oct 22, 2006
  8. Stefan

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > Bob Burns wrote:
    > > Stefan wrote:
    > >
    > >> Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file
    > >> size to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the
    > >> photos account for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 98)
    > >> to reduce the file size of pictures when inserted.
    > >> Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help'
    > >> or MS site.
    > >>
    > >> Anyone know a method ?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks Stef
    > >>

    > > I use Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's free. Google it.

    > PS E is not free.

    maybe HIS version was :O)

    Paul Heslop, Oct 23, 2006
  9. Stefan

    Jim Guest

    "Stefan" <> wrote in message
    > Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file
    > size to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the photos
    > account for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 98) to reduce
    > the file size of pictures when inserted.
    > Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or
    > MS site.
    >
    > Anyone know a method ?
    >
    > Thanks Stef

    When I want to insert a photo into a Word document, I first reduce the size
    to whatever is appropriate with Photoshop.
    Jim

    Jim, Oct 23, 2006
  10. In article <ZCQ_g.8015$>,
    says...
    > Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 98) to reduce the file
    > size of pictures when inserted.
    > Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or MS
    > site.
    >
    > Anyone know a method ?

    Word 2003 has a button on the picture toolbar that lets you compress all
    the pictures in the document. You wouldn't want to compress the pictures
    when you import them because Word wouldn't know how you planned to resize
    or crop them. Once they are in place then word can optimize for the final
    printing resolution.

    You are using software that is 10 years and 3 (almost 4) versions old.
    Word 97 came out in 1996. You can't expect it to have all the features
    you could possibly think of and you can't expect people to remember what
    features it did or didn't have.

    You might have better luck asking in the Microsoft newsgroup
    microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics which can be found on the web at
    http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?
    dg=microsoft.public.word.drawing.graphics&lang=en&cr=US

    Grant Robertson, Oct 23, 2006
  11. "Stefan" <> wrote in message
    > Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file
    > size to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the photos
    > account for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 98) to reduce
    > the file size of pictures when inserted.
    > Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or
    > MS site.
    >
    > Anyone know a method ?

    Might be that the image size isn't your problem but rather word itself.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/186369

    Jack Torrence, Oct 23, 2006
  12. Stefan

    tomm42 Guest

    On Oct 22, 4:36 pm, "Stefan" <> wrote:
    > Including photos in preparing a newsletter results in too large a file size
    > to email. Typically 50 mb for only three pages. Obviously the photos account
    > for this. Can't find a way in Word 97 (or Publisher 98) to reduce the file
    > size of pictures when inserted.
    > Would have thought a common requirement but no answers found in 'help' or MS
    > site.
    >
    > Anyone know a method ?
    >
    > Thanks Stef

    Get Irfanview, you can batch all the photos in your news letter. Put
    them in their own folder and choose Batch, I would bring them down to
    at least 800x600 or 800 x whatever x 100ppi. Those photos will be small
    enough not to create the huge files. But you have to do it outside of
    Word. An image editor will maintain the best image quality.

    Tom

    tomm42, Oct 23, 2006
  13. Stefan

    timeOday Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > Alan Browne wrote:
    >
    >>Bob Burns wrote:

    >>>I use Adobe Photoshop Elements. It's free. Google it.

    >>PS E is not free.
    >>

    > maybe HIS version was :O)

    He probably got it included with a new computer, scanner, or camera.

    Or stole it :)

    timeOday, Oct 23, 2006
  14. Stefan

    Paul Heslop Guest

    timeOday wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > Alan Browne wrote:

    > >>PS E is not free.
    > >>

    > > maybe HIS version was :O)
    > >

    > He probably got it included with a new computer, scanner, or camera.
    >
    > Or stole it :)

    ah! I am shocked... you mean... people steal things on the internet???

    Paul Heslop, Oct 23, 2006