Reduced Connection Speed

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rider, Nov 1, 2004.

  1. Rider

    Rider Guest

    I have the Venture 1Gb plan, 256k/128k and used to connect at 7.9Mbps. For
    the last 3 days it only connects at 320Kbps.

    Are Xtra doing this? Nothing has changed this end regarding hardware or
    phone line conditions etc.

    Rider
     
    Rider, Nov 1, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Rider wrote:
    > I have the Venture 1Gb plan, 256k/128k and used to connect at 7.9Mbps. For
    > the last 3 days it only connects at 320Kbps.


    > Are Xtra doing this? Nothing has changed this end regarding hardware or
    > phone line conditions etc.


    welcome to UBS.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    http://www.karyn.net.nz
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 1, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Rider

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Rider wrote:
    >
    >> I have the Venture 1Gb plan, 256k/128k and used to connect at 7.9Mbps.
    >> For the last 3 days it only connects at 320Kbps.

    >
    >
    >> Are Xtra doing this? Nothing has changed this end regarding hardware
    >> or phone line conditions etc.

    >
    >
    > welcome to UBS.
    >

    Would it make much difference though ? (or should I get on with my work)


    --
     
    Chris Mayhew, Nov 2, 2004
    #3
  4. Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >>> I have the Venture 1Gb plan, 256k/128k and used to connect at
    >>> 7.9Mbps. For the last 3 days it only connects at 320Kbps.
    >>> Are Xtra doing this? Nothing has changed this end regarding hardware
    >>> or phone line conditions etc.


    >> welcome to UBS.


    > Would it make much difference though ? (or should I get on with my work)


    nope, **** all difference.
    although you should check latency to see if it has changed much.
    some of the Telecom info says +30ms ontop of pre-UBS latency, so if you
    used to get 70ms ping, you now get 100ms

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    http://www.karyn.net.nz
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 2, 2004
    #4
  5. Rider

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:56:49 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >>>> I have the Venture 1Gb plan, 256k/128k and used to connect at
    >>>> 7.9Mbps. For the last 3 days it only connects at 320Kbps.
    >>>> Are Xtra doing this? Nothing has changed this end regarding hardware
    >>>> or phone line conditions etc.

    >
    >>> welcome to UBS.

    >
    >> Would it make much difference though ? (or should I get on with my work)

    >
    > nope, **** all difference.
    > although you should check latency to see if it has changed much.
    > some of the Telecom info says +30ms ontop of pre-UBS latency, so if you
    > used to get 70ms ping, you now get 100ms


    Why can't the ISP just have full access to the ADSL line, ie you connect to
    the ISP at 8mbps, and they limit it there?
     
    -[Myth]-, Nov 2, 2004
    #5
  6. Rider

    colinco Guest

    In article -[Myth]- says...
    > Why can't the ISP just have full access to the ADSL line, ie you connect to
    > the ISP at 8mbps, and they limit it there?
    >

    With limits on line speed there is less cross-talk and you can push the
    line lengths further. I don't know if 8Mbps is even possible if everyone
    in the cable is on ADSL. Some of the fantastic speeds quoted overseas
    only work over 50 metres or so.
     
    colinco, Nov 2, 2004
    #6
  7. -[Myth]- wrote:
    >>>>>I have the Venture 1Gb plan, 256k/128k and used to connect at
    >>>>>7.9Mbps. For the last 3 days it only connects at 320Kbps.
    >>>>>Are Xtra doing this? Nothing has changed this end regarding hardware
    >>>>>or phone line conditions etc.


    >>>>welcome to UBS.


    >>>Would it make much difference though ? (or should I get on with my work)


    >>nope, **** all difference.
    >>although you should check latency to see if it has changed much.
    >>some of the Telecom info says +30ms ontop of pre-UBS latency, so if you
    >>used to get 70ms ping, you now get 100ms


    > Why can't the ISP just have full access to the ADSL line, ie you connect to
    > the ISP at 8mbps, and they limit it there?


    dunno, ask Telecom Corporate.
    It'd be interesting to see if you get an answer.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    http://www.karyn.net.nz
     
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 2, 2004
    #7
  8. Rider

    Hmmm Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:
    > On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 13:56:49 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >>
    >>>>>I have the Venture 1Gb plan, 256k/128k and used to connect at
    >>>>>7.9Mbps. For the last 3 days it only connects at 320Kbps.
    >>>>>Are Xtra doing this? Nothing has changed this end regarding hardware
    >>>>>or phone line conditions etc.

    >>
    >>>>welcome to UBS.

    >>
    >>>Would it make much difference though ? (or should I get on with my work)

    >>
    >>nope, **** all difference.
    >>although you should check latency to see if it has changed much.
    >>some of the Telecom info says +30ms ontop of pre-UBS latency, so if you
    >>used to get 70ms ping, you now get 100ms

    >
    >
    > Why can't the ISP just have full access to the ADSL line, ie you connect to
    > the ISP at 8mbps, and they limit it there?


    cause then isp's could run full speed game servers that would compete
    with things like telecoms/xtras jetstream games realm etc :)



    ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
    http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
    ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
     
    Hmmm, Nov 2, 2004
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. David Wood

    Ciscon ISDN router-reduced dial out?

    David Wood, Feb 6, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    406
    BradReeseCom
    Feb 6, 2005
  2. Rick
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    848
    Consultant
    Oct 14, 2003
  3. David Hughes

    Hotmail size limit reduced

    David Hughes, Nov 15, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    3,870
    Barry OGrady
    Nov 15, 2003
  4. Mike O.

    Battery life suddenly reduced with Kodak DC4800

    Mike O., Oct 14, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    803
    Ron Baird
    Oct 16, 2003
  5. kpg
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    389
    BD[MCNGP]
    Dec 18, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page