Redmond's real motive for pushing Open XML

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jonathan Walker, Sep 17, 2007.

  1. http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/mgmt/74C665EDA37CB6F0CC2573560004F188

    Quoting Brian Jones, a Microsoft manager:

    "" It’s hard for Microsoft to commit to what comes out of Ecma [the
    European standards group that has already ok’d OOXML] in the coming years,
    because we don’t know what direction they will take the formats. We’ll of
    course stay active and propose changes based on where we want to go with
    Office 14. At the end of the day, though, the other Ecma members could
    decide to take the spec in a completely different direction. ... Since
    it’s not guaranteed, it would be hard for us to make any sort of official
    statement. â€"

    IOW, M$ is no more committed to a standardised file format than it is
    committed to providing full documentation to enable third parties'
    applications like Samba fully compatible with AD.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Sep 17, 2007