Redirectors - what do other folk think nowadays?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by ~BD~, May 23, 2009.

  1. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    FromTheRafters wrote:
    <snip>

    > Virux (a recent virus) made its way onto the victims machine through

    a >foisted redirect to a website hosting an exploit which, caused the
    >vulnerable browser to download and execute the malware. The malware
    >then infected executable files and script files. The script files
    >usually contained the redirect to download the malware (possibly, the
    >virus), and the executables contained the virus itself.

    Here's a comment made to me by an MVP - from 3 years ago:-

    Dave

    Has it occurred to you that nobody has spoken of this because it hardly
    ever happens?.. do you think that there are millions out there who
    should be worrying about being a possible victim of a redirector?..

    Of course it can happen, but maybe only if your sister is giving birth
    to octuplets at the same time as Seti fans discover that the Borg are
    transmitting old Elvis Presley songs through a proxy server on Deep
    Space Nine on 102.6 FM..
    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    This was the thread:
    http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.security.homeusers/browse_thread/thread/2cb1c1d00fd941dc/3d6957dd091e3986?lnk=gst&q=I+think+I've+found+a+virus....+%2BBoaterDave#

    ~BD~, May 23, 2009

  2. ~BD~

    Todd H. Guest

    ~BD~ <> writes:

    > FromTheRafters wrote:
    > <snip>
    >>
    >> Virux (a recent virus) made its way onto the victims machine through

    > a >foisted redirect to a website hosting an exploit which, caused the
    >> vulnerable browser to download and execute the malware. The malware
    >> then infected executable files and script files. The script files
    >> usually contained the redirect to download the malware (possibly,
    >> the virus), and the executables contained the virus itself.

    > Here's a comment made to me by an MVP - from 3 years ago:-

    Of course you know microsoft.* (or its affiliated legion of certified
    professionals) have never known for their security prescience.

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., May 23, 2009

  3. ~BD~

    ~BD~ Guest

    Todd H. wrote:

    > Of course you know microsoft.* (or its affiliated legion of certified
    > professionals) have never (been?) known for their security prescience.
    >
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

    I had no idea about them (MVP's) then. I actually thought that the
    Microsoft Communities would be 'staffed' by *employees* of Microsoft.
    I've noticed that lots of other people think the same thing.

    'Tis always best if one can see things coming, IMO!

    OT(ish) Watch here:
    http://uk.search.yahoo.com/search?p=I saw it coming&fr=bt-portal&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8

    --
    Dave