Redirection Problem in IE6

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by WriteWord Translations, Nov 17, 2004.

  1. I've just developed the following problem on my machine, and despite doing
    research on Google about it, remain baffled. When I try to log in to a Yahoo
    or eBay account, I get the following message:

    "If you are seeing this page, your browser settings prevent you from
    automatically redirecting to a new URL.
    Please click here to continue."

    In the case of Yahoo, the message disappears and I am able to access my
    account. But I can't delete messages. Nor can I reply to them (this a
    particularly bad look) or forward them. Bizarrely however, the "Spam" button
    works fine.

    With eBay, the message doesn't disappear and I actually have to click the
    link to get into my account. So far I have not discovered any impairments to
    normal eBay use. I was able to bid on a couple of items without any trouble.
    However, I haven't tried listing anything.

    I'm using Windows ME and Internet Explorer 6. I've had my present computer
    (a Packard Bell) for nearly four years, and this particular problem has
    never occurred before. It is utterly mystifying. As I said, research into
    the matter has failed to enlighten me. Does anyone here know what causes the
    problem, and how to fix it? Is it spyware or simply some weird browser bug?
    I would particularly like to be able to get my Yahoo mail back to normal.
    Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.

    WriteWord Translations, Nov 17, 2004

  2. Pardon me for replying to my own post, but I've just detected another
    problem, which I suspect is related to one I previously reported on: when in
    Trade Me and looking at auctions with photos, the picture doesn't show when
    I click on it to enlarge it. Again, this has never been a problem for me
    before.

    HELP!

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.

    WriteWord Translations, Nov 17, 2004

  3. And Yet Another Problem

    Drop-down menus are not working either.

    I'm beginning to think this is some sort of Java-related issue. Whatever's
    going on, I'm blessed if I can work it out!

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.

    WriteWord Translations, Nov 17, 2004
  4. WriteWord Translations

    William Bell Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:07:12 +1300, "WriteWord Translations"
    <> wrote:

    >Pardon me for replying to my own post, but I've just detected another
    >problem, which I suspect is related to one I previously reported on: when in
    >Trade Me and looking at auctions with photos, the picture doesn't show when
    >I click on it to enlarge it. Again, this has never been a problem for me
    >before.
    >
    >HELP!
    >
    >Best Regards
    >
    >ROWAN M.

    Yes Fake Redirects so they can steal your Pin Number.

    Looks like a Virus to me..

    William Bell, Nov 17, 2004
  5. WriteWord Translations wrote:
    > Pardon me for replying to my own post, but I've just detected another
    > problem, which I suspect is related to one I previously reported on: when in
    > Trade Me and looking at auctions with photos, the picture doesn't show when
    > I click on it to enlarge it. Again, this has never been a problem for me
    > before.

    it sounds like you may have inadvertantly turned off javascript.
    pretty much all the things you mention can be(and usually are) done with
    javascript.

    check to see if you have disabled it.

    In IE, click on tools, internet options, security, customise, and scroll
    through the options, I think that is where it is.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 17, 2004
  6. That was my first suspicion, but I'm not convinced. From the research I have
    done, other people with the problem ran assorted anti-virus and spyware
    scans, and drew blanks. There appears to be nothing on Norton or other
    anti-virus Web sites that address a virus causing this particular message to
    appear. So I think it may have another origin, although I'm not ruling out a
    virus or spyware program. But can anyone offer something more concrete than
    just speculation? For instance, have you ever experienced it yourself, and
    if so, how did you solve the problem? TIA for any info you can provide.

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.

    WriteWord Translations, Nov 17, 2004
  7. Thanks Dave. Checking my settings, I see that Java permissions are set to
    "High Safety". But scripting of Java applets is enabled. I can't see
    anything else related to Java. Should I maybe set the Java permissions to
    "Medium Safety"? Thanks again for your response.

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.

    WriteWord Translations, Nov 17, 2004
  8. WriteWord Translations

    Richard Guest

    WriteWord Translations wrote:

    > I'm using Windows ME and Internet Explorer 6. I've had my present computer
    > (a Packard Bell) for nearly four years, and this particular problem has
    > never occurred before. It is utterly mystifying. As I said, research into
    > the matter has failed to enlighten me. Does anyone here know what causes the
    > problem, and how to fix it? Is it spyware or simply some weird browser bug?
    > I would particularly like to be able to get my Yahoo mail back to normal.
    > Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

    You have turned off javascript

    just download and install mozilla firefox - it will fix the problems and a whole
    lot more

    Richard, Nov 17, 2004
  9. WriteWord Translations

    William Bell Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:42:24 +1300, Richard <> wrote:

    >WriteWord Translations wrote:
    >

    >> I'm using Windows ME and Internet Explorer 6. I've had my present computer
    >> (a Packard Bell) for nearly four years, and this particular problem has
    >> never occurred before. It is utterly mystifying. As I said, research into
    >> the matter has failed to enlighten me. Does anyone here know what causes the
    >> problem, and how to fix it? Is it spyware or simply some weird browser bug?
    >> I would particularly like to be able to get my Yahoo mail back to normal.
    >> Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

    >You have turned off javascript
    >
    >just download and install mozilla firefox - it will fix the problems and a whole
    >lot more

    But no good for MS Web site use..

    William Bell, Nov 17, 2004
  10. Problem Fixed (I Think)

    Soon after posting my queries, IE 6 broke down completely. At that point, I
    rebooted my computer, and that appears to have fixed the problem. I can now
    log into eBay and Yahoo as normal. All the other problems I reported on have
    also gone away. So I think the problem is fixed - and all it took was a
    restart! Hopefully it won't occur again, but if it does, that will be what I
    do from now on. Still most puzzled as to what caused it! I certainly don't
    remember turning off Javascript or anything. Many thanks to those who
    responded - appreciate your assistance.

    Best Regards

    ROWAN M.

    WriteWord Translations, Nov 17, 2004
  11. WriteWord Translations

    Invisible Guest

    On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:56:28 +1300, William Bell
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:42:24 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    >>WriteWord Translations wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm using Windows ME and Internet Explorer 6. I've had my present computer
    >>> (a Packard Bell) for nearly four years, and this particular problem has
    >>> never occurred before. It is utterly mystifying. As I said, research into
    >>> the matter has failed to enlighten me. Does anyone here know what causes the
    >>> problem, and how to fix it? Is it spyware or simply some weird browser bug?
    >>> I would particularly like to be able to get my Yahoo mail back to normal.
    >>> Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

    >>You have turned off javascript
    >>
    >>just download and install mozilla firefox - it will fix the problems and a whole
    >>lot more

    >But no good for MS Web site use..

    Because MS have piss poor coders.

    Invisible, Nov 17, 2004
  12. Re: Problem Fixed (I Think)

    It seems like Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:59:17 +1300 was when "WriteWord
    Translations" <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Soon after posting my queries, IE 6 broke down completely. At that point, I
    >rebooted my computer, and that appears to have fixed the problem. I can now
    >log into eBay and Yahoo as normal. All the other problems I reported on have
    >also gone away. So I think the problem is fixed - and all it took was a
    >restart! Hopefully it won't occur again, but if it does, that will be what I
    >do from now on. Still most puzzled as to what caused it! I certainly don't
    >remember turning off Javascript or anything. Many thanks to those who
    >responded - appreciate your assistance.

    Certainly an interesting fix to the issue. I've got a funny feeling
    that perhaps your installation of IE6 is on it's last legs. Perhaps
    try reinstalling/overinstalling/repairing IE6, or try Firefox or
    something.

    Put it this way, if your IE6 was a car, I'd try and sell it as soon as
    possible:)
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Nov 17, 2004
  13. In article <3gEmd.3182$> in nz.comp on Wed, 17
    Nov 2004 21:53:49 +1300, WriteWord Translations <>
    says...
    > I've just developed the following problem on my machine, and despite doing
    > research on Google about it, remain baffled. When I try to log in to a Yahoo
    > or eBay account, I get the following message:
    >
    > "If you are seeing this page, your browser settings prevent you from
    > automatically redirecting to a new URL.
    > Please click here to continue."
    >
    > In the case of Yahoo, the message disappears and I am able to access my
    > account. But I can't delete messages. Nor can I reply to them (this a
    > particularly bad look) or forward them. Bizarrely however, the "Spam" button
    > works fine.

    Yahoo will redirect you to the logon server at first logon, there may be
    a problem because of not being able to complete the redirect.

    I presume the redirect issue is to do with blocking phishing sites and
    the like, and has not been well thought through in SP2 or whatever has
    been recently installed on your machine.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 17, 2004
  14. In article <KsEmd.3185$> in nz.comp on Wed, 17
    Nov 2004 22:07:12 +1300, WriteWord Translations <>
    says...
    > Pardon me for replying to my own post, but I've just detected another
    > problem, which I suspect is related to one I previously reported on: when in
    > Trade Me and looking at auctions with photos, the picture doesn't show when
    > I click on it to enlarge it. Again, this has never been a problem for me
    > before.

    It may be a "remote image" which can be blocked for privacy reasons.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 17, 2004
  15. In article <eSEmd.3211$> in nz.comp on Wed, 17
    Nov 2004 22:34:31 +1300, WriteWord Translations <>
    says...
    > Thanks Dave. Checking my settings, I see that Java permissions are set to
    > "High Safety". But scripting of Java applets is enabled. I can't see
    > anything else related to Java. Should I maybe set the Java permissions to
    > "Medium Safety"? Thanks again for your response.

    Not Java - Javascript (not the same as scripting Java)

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 17, 2004
  16. In article <> in nz.comp on
    Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:56:28 +1300, William Bell <> says...
    > On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 22:42:24 +1300, Richard <> wrote:
    >
    > >WriteWord Translations wrote:
    > >

    > >> I'm using Windows ME and Internet Explorer 6. I've had my present computer
    > >> (a Packard Bell) for nearly four years, and this particular problem has
    > >> never occurred before. It is utterly mystifying. As I said, research into
    > >> the matter has failed to enlighten me. Does anyone here know what causes the
    > >> problem, and how to fix it? Is it spyware or simply some weird browser bug?
    > >> I would particularly like to be able to get my Yahoo mail back to normal.
    > >> Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

    > >You have turned off javascript
    > >
    > >just download and install mozilla firefox - it will fix the problems and a whole
    > >lot more

    > But no good for MS Web site use..

    It works on everything except Windows update now

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 17, 2004
  17. Invisible wrote:
    >>But no good for MS Web site use..

    > Because MS have piss poor coders.

    what sort of problems do people have with the MS sites?
    Just wondered as Im a mozilla suite man myself and use a few of them on
    a daily basis, with no ill effects.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 17, 2004
  18. In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 18 Nov 2004
    08:21:14 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...
    > Invisible wrote:
    > >>But no good for MS Web site use..

    > > Because MS have piss poor coders.

    > what sort of problems do people have with the MS sites?
    > Just wondered as Im a mozilla suite man myself and use a few of them on
    > a daily basis, with no ill effects.

    WindowsUpdate uses ActiveX controls.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 17, 2004
  19. Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>>Because MS have piss poor coders.

    >>what sort of problems do people have with the MS sites?
    >>Just wondered as Im a mozilla suite man myself and use a few of them on
    >>a daily basis, with no ill effects.

    > WindowsUpdate uses ActiveX controls.

    ok then, other than windows update, it's a given that it wont work* in
    alternative browsers.

    *unless the activex plugin for mozilla ever gets off the ground.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 17, 2004
  20. In article <> in nz.comp on Thu, 18 Nov 2004
    09:02:20 +1300, Dave - Dave.net.nz <> says...

    > >>what sort of problems do people have with the MS sites?
    > >>Just wondered as Im a mozilla suite man myself and use a few of them on
    > >>a daily basis, with no ill effects.

    > > WindowsUpdate uses ActiveX controls.

    > ok then, other than windows update, it's a given that it wont work* in
    > alternative browsers.
    >
    > *unless the activex plugin for mozilla ever gets off the ground.

    Until recently it was impossible to use the advanced search option in
    MSKB in Mozilla - possibly because the script auto detected IE.

    Patrick Dunford, Nov 18, 2004