    appreciated.

    Thanks,
    John

    John, Jul 27, 2005

  2. John

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:04:35 -0500, in message
     <404ee$42e6bbe3$944002db$>, John wrote:

    > After installing 1.05 I began getting a popup window that reads "Redirection
    > limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may
    > be caused by cookies that are blocked."

    The error is associated with "this URL", whichever that is.
    What is the URL?

    > I have now upgraded to 1.06 and am
    > still get the popup window when trying to load some webpages.

    What are the URLs of these web pages?

    > I have changed cookie settings with no results.

    Cookies will only affect it if the server bases its decision on
    where (and whether) to redirect in #3 and #5 below, on the cookies
    which the browser has. Sometimes servers do, often they don't.

    > Any ideas would be
    > appreciated.

    You should already know that a web server can redirect some pages
    so the browser goes to a different page. For example, if you go
    to http://www.xtra.co.nz/ the web server will redirect you to go
    to http://xtramsn.co.nz/home/

    My guess is that you get a "redirection limit exceeded"
    because of a fault with how the web site is set up.

    1. You select a URL http://server/page

    2. Your browser asks the server to return the web page for this URL.

    3. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
    your browser to a different URL.

    4. Your browser asks the (same/new) server to return the web page
    for this (new) URL.

    5. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
    your browser to a different URL.

    6. etc. etc. etc. potentially forever.

    7. To avoid being stuck in an infinite redirection loop,
    each browser has a limit on the number of times it can
    be redirected for any one page.

    If this limit is reached, different browsers will report
    this website fault differently.
    • Some browsers will say "redirection limit exceeded".
    • Some browsers will show a page with a message
    like "302 Found" on it, similar to (but not the same as)
    the "404 Not found" page.

    If you want an accurate answer, rather than a best guess, you'll
    need to post the URL(s) of the page(s) so we can look at it (them).

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#before

    Ralph Fox, Jul 27, 2005

  3. John

    John Guest

    The most annoying redirection popup window is coming from eBay. When I try
    and go to "My Ebay" after logging on to eBay the window is displayed. If I
    go to any other eBay page first, instead of "My Ebay" then I don't get the
    popup. I can then go to "My Ebay" from whatever eBay page and I don't get
    the popup and "My Ebay" loads normally. It is only when I go to "My Ebay"
    first after logging on to eBay.

    "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    message news:...

    John, Jul 28, 2005
  4. John

    Charani Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 20:04:35 -0500, John wrote:

    > After installing 1.05 I began getting a popup window that reads "Redirection
    > limit for this URL exceeded. Unable to load the requested page. This may
    > be caused by cookies that are blocked." I have now upgraded to 1.06 and am
    > still get the popup window when trying to load some webpages.

    I had the same thing happen this morning when I clicked on the Tall
    Ships Race 2005 link from a BBC news page
    (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tyne/4722301.stm), however, when I
    clicked on the Sail Training International link (which did work) I was
    able to get to the 2005 Race page with no problems. I presumed that
    the site had had too many hits

    Charani, Jul 28, 2005
  5. John

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:34:20 -0500, in message
     <7147f$42e8145d$944002db$>, John wrote:

    > "Ralph Fox" <-echo.invalid> wrote in
    > message news:...

    --snip--

    > > My guess is that you get a "redirection limit exceeded"
    > > because of a fault with how the web site is set up.
    > >
    > > 1. You select a URL http://server/page
    > >
    > > 2. Your browser asks the server to return the web page for this URL.
    > >
    > > 3. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
    > > your browser to a different URL.
    > >
    > > 4. Your browser asks the (same/new) server to return the web page
    > > for this (new) URL.
    > >
    > > 5. Server responds that the page has moved, and redirects
    > > your browser to a different URL.
    > >
    > > 6. etc. etc. etc. potentially forever.
    > >
    > > 7. To avoid being stuck in an infinite redirection loop,
    > > each browser has a limit on the number of times it can
    > > be redirected for any one page.
    > >
    > > If this limit is reached, different browsers will report
    > > this website fault differently.
    > > . Some browsers will say "redirection limit exceeded".
    > > . Some browsers will show a page with a message
    > > like "302 Found" on it, similar to (but not the same as)
    > > the "404 Not found" page.
    > >

    > > If you want an accurate answer, rather than a best guess, you'll
    > > need to post the URL(s) of the page(s) so we can look at it (them).

    > The most annoying redirection popup window is coming from eBay. When I try
    > and go to "My Ebay" after logging on to eBay the window is displayed.

    I don't have an eBay account (TradeMe is far more popular
    here), so I can't check this out. Maybe someone else, with
    an eBay login, will do so for you.

    > If I
    > go to any other eBay page first, instead of "My Ebay" then I don't get the
    > popup. I can then go to "My Ebay" from whatever eBay page and I don't get
    > the popup and "My Ebay" loads normally. It is only when I go to "My Ebay"
    > first after logging on to eBay.

    Can you give any other, publicly accessible, URLs which
    show this problem?

    One other thought: maybe the server bases its decision on
    where (and whether) to redirect in #3 and #5 above, on which
    browser it sees you are using. If so, you may be able to
    fool the server into thinking you are using a different
    browser, by using the "User Agent Switcher" extension for
    Firefox.

    Ralph Fox, Jul 28, 2005