    Slammer
    MCSA, CNA5, iNet+, Server+, Net+, A+,
    CIW-Assoc.
    Slammer, Nov 29, 2003

  2. Slammer

    Dave Jasper Guest

    Hi there,

    Could one of you please help because I ain't got a clue where to start looking?

    I have set up folder redirection for profiles, app data and my docs. No problems there. When a new user logs on for the first time these folders are automatically created no problem. What I would like is for a selection of folders (such as templates and a workgroup share shortcut) also to be automatically created within the re-directed my docs on its initial creation. I know this is possible and I have seen this before but what am I missing?

    I am running W2k Server SP4 & not Advanced. Is this the key

    Cheers in advance

    Dave

    ---
    Dave Jasper, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Slammer

    Dave Jasper Guest

    Thanks Slammer...I've managed to avoid using DFS so far but you've given me a shove in the right direction and hopefully I'll find the answer there.

    Cheers

    Dave
    "Slammer" <> wrote in message news:pL3yb.220$...
    I believe you need to setup a DFS(distributed file system).

    --
    Slammer
    MCSA, CNA5, iNet+, Server+, Net+, A+,

    ---
    Dave Jasper, Nov 29, 2003
  4. Slammer

    Emil Guest

    No, DFS has nothing to do with what you're talking about.
    DFS is another way to design your folders for network
    shares. It has nothing to do with user profiles.

    What you're looking for does not exist to the best of my
    knowledge. The typical way of creating a profile template
    is by creating a sample user, and manually copying the
    folders (C:\Documents and Settings\username\) to each user
    you want the profile to associate with. If there are a
    group of users that are to use a single type of profile,
    you would have them all point to the same location from
    the user account's profile path in the profile tab.

    Emil

    27/11/2003
    Emil, Nov 29, 2003
  5. Slammer

    Slammer Guest

    I beg to differ....why not assign the DFS to the template profile when it's
    created???

    --
    Slammer
    MCSA, CNA5, iNet+, Server+, Net+, A+,
    Slammer, Nov 29, 2003
  6. Slammer

    Dave Jasper Guest

    Thanks Emil,

    I just discovered myself the hard way that DFS was not the answer.....

    You say what I am looking for may not exist, and that is looking more
    probable..... but I see it every day at work. Unfortunately an external
    company manages the servers and my admin rights are just above those of a
    normal user. This particular external company is not for giving secrets
    away! However I would dearly like to replicate this system on my home server
    where I have full admin rights.

    The system at work is like this..

    (Windows 2000 Advanced Server & W2k Pro Clients)
    I create a new user with an interface that interacts with AD.
    After replication I issue the user's certificate to a smartcard
    The user logs on for the first time
    The user's "Home Folder" "Profile Folder" & "App Data Folder" appear in the
    relevant locations on the server.
    My Documents has been redirected to the user's "Home Folder" on the server
    Within the "Home Folder" there are three more folders, My Documents,
    Templates and Shared Folders.
    Within "Shared Folders" there is a shortcut to the workgroup for my OU.

    Now our Service Providers may well be using a third party application to do
    the trick but it is all automatic with no intervention from anyone else.

    I have just found such an application on the net
    http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/~mikem/activeman/ but if there is such a way
    within 2000 server I want to use it. If not then I can forget about it for
    now. I don't want to pick up any bad habits with non-relevant third party
    stuff before I start my MCSE.

    Cheers in advance if anyone can help further

    Dave

    "Emil" <> wrote in message
    > No, DFS has nothing to do with what you're talking about.
    > DFS is another way to design your folders for network
    > shares. It has nothing to do with user profiles.
    >
    > What you're looking for does not exist to the best of my
    > knowledge. The typical way of creating a profile template
    > is by creating a sample user, and manually copying the
    > folders (C:\Documents and Settings\username\) to each user
    > you want the profile to associate with. If there are a
    > group of users that are to use a single type of profile,
    > you would have them all point to the same location from
    > the user account's profile path in the profile tab.
    >
    > Emil

    ---
    Dave Jasper, Nov 29, 2003
  7. Slammer

    Dave Jasper Guest

    Slammer,

    Sorry to doubt you but I really would be grateful for some help on how I
    would do this?

    I normally like to work things out for myself and then go to the books if I
    am stuck (or to undertand why something works) but this has really gotten me
    going nuts!!!

    Cheers

    Dave

    "Slammer" <> wrote in message
    > I beg to differ....why not assign the DFS to the template profile when

    it's
    > created???
    >
    > --
    > Slammer
    > MCSA, CNA5, iNet+, Server+, Net+, A+,
    > CIW-Assoc.

    ---
    Dave Jasper, Nov 29, 2003
  8. Slammer

    Emil Guest

    Dave,

    From what I gather, you are trying to have personalized
    folders and network connections automatically created for
    new users.

    Perhaps what you're looking for is Group Automation. The
    Windows ldifde.exe scripting tool may be useful, and can
    be run from the DOS command line.

    I found a link that might be helpful. Take a look at
    http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/Logon_LDIF.htm
    and be sure to click on the LDIFDE link as well.

    Emil
    Emil, Nov 29, 2003
  9. Slammer

    Emil Guest

    Emil, Nov 29, 2003
  10. Slammer

    Dave Jasper Guest

    Many thanks Emil,

    These links provide lots of interesting and useful stuff to try.

    Cheers

    Dave

    "Emil" <> wrote in message
    > Try this link also.
    >
    > http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/Logon/logon_scripts.ht

    ---
    Dave Jasper, Nov 30, 2003
  11. Slammer

    Roger Abell Guest

    "Dave Jasper" <> wrote in message
    Hi there,

    Could one of you please help because I ain't got a clue where to start
    looking?

    I have set up folder redirection for profiles, app data and my docs. No
    problems there. When a new user logs on for the first time these folders are
    automatically created no problem. What I would like is for a selection of
    folders (such as templates and a workgroup share shortcut) also to be
    automatically created within the re-directed my docs on its initial
    creation. I know this is possible and I have seen this before but what am I
    missing?

    I am running W2k Server SP4 & not Advanced. Is this the key

    Cheers in advance

    Dave

    Put the stuff you want duplicated into the
    Default User\My Documents directory.

    --
    Roger Abell
    MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA
    Roger Abell, Nov 30, 2003
  12. Slammer

    Dave Jasper Guest

    Hi Roger

    Thanks for your input.

    I tried that last night but it didn't seem to work. I thought it was because
    I already have My Documents redirected to a "users" area but I may not have
    been patient enough? Should this still work with redirection enabled?

    I created a user in AD, logged in on the client, set up this user profile
    with the folders in the my docs, logged on the client as Admin, then copied
    this profile to the %Logonserver%\Netlogon\default user. Then created a new
    user and logged on to the client. The My docs folder was re-directed but
    also empty apart from My Pics?

    Could you please help any further?

    Cheers

    Dave

    "Roger Abell" <> wrote in message
    > "Dave Jasper" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Could one of you please help because I ain't got a clue where to start
    > looking?
    >
    > I have set up folder redirection for profiles, app data and my docs. No
    > problems there. When a new user logs on for the first time these folders

    are
    > automatically created no problem. What I would like is for a selection of
    > folders (such as templates and a workgroup share shortcut) also to be
    > automatically created within the re-directed my docs on its initial
    > creation. I know this is possible and I have seen this before but what am

    > missing?
    >
    > I am running W2k Server SP4 & not Advanced. Is this the key
    >
    > Cheers in advance
    >
    > Dave
    >

    > Put the stuff you want duplicated into the
    > Default User\My Documents directory.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Server System: Security)
    > MCSE (W2k3,W2k,Nt4) MCDBA

    ---
    Dave Jasper, Dec 1, 2003
  13. Dave

    In the same Group Policy Object that is controlling your Folder Redirection you could configure a logon script that would first check for the existence of the desired folders and shortcuts and then create them as needed

    Deven
    ----- Dave Jasper wrote: ----

    Hi there

    Could one of you please help because I ain't got a clue where to start looking

    I have set up folder redirection for profiles, app data and my docs. No problems there. When a new user logs on for the first time these folders are automatically created no problem. What I would like is for a selection of folders (such as templates and a workgroup share shortcut) also to be automatically created within the re-directed my docs on its initial creation. I know this is possible and I have seen this before but what am I missing?

    I am running W2k Server SP4 & not Advanced. Is this the ke

    Cheers in advanc

    Dav

    =?Utf-8?B?RGV2ZW4=?=, Dec 2, 2003