    Anyway, does anybody have hints about how to use it?
    The rectangle selection isn't very easy to use.
    Is there an alternate selection method?

    Bill Tuthill, Feb 15, 2006

  2. Bill Tuthill

    ASAAR Guest

    On 15 Feb 2006 10:26:18 -0800, Bill Tuthill wrote:

    > I didn't even know about this until a recent thread!
    > (Redeye Reduction in Irfanview)
    >
    > Anyway, does anybody have hints about how to use it?
    > The rectangle selection isn't very easy to use.
    > Is there an alternate selection method?

    I don't make a single selection, but break it up into multiple
    smaller ones, which allows the blockish correction to more closely
    approximate the eye's circular shape. Working with an extreme
    enlargement simplifies making selections. Some final improvements
    are possible, such as smoothing of blockiness by applying blur or
    other filters. IrfanView probably makes more work of it than some
    other apps., but it's not bad unless you have a large number of
    redeyes to correct.

    ASAAR, Feb 15, 2006

  3. Bill Tuthill

    Onno Voors Guest

    Bill Tuthill <> wrote in news::

    > The rectangle selection isn't very easy to use.
    > Is there an alternate selection method?

    No, it's the only selection tool.

    --
    Onno Voors

    Onno Voors, Feb 15, 2006
  4. Bill Tuthill

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Onno Voors <> wrote:

    > No, [rectangle] is the only selection tool.

    Thanks, I didn't see anything but thought I might have missed it.

    ASAAR <> wrote:

    > I don't make a single selection, but break it up into multiple
    > smaller ones, which allows the blockish correction to more closely
    > approximate the eye's circular shape. Working with an extreme
    > enlargement simplifies making selections. Some final improvements
    > are possible, such as smoothing of blockiness by applying blur or
    > other filters. IrfanView probably makes more work of it than some
    > other apps., but it's not bad unless you have a large number of
    > redeyes to correct.

    Irfanview doesn't seem to change white, so it's relatively nondestructive.

    Too bad zoom doesn't go past 1000% or so. Is there a menu pick or
    keyboard shortcut to set maximum zoom? If so I didn't see it.

    Bill Tuthill, Feb 16, 2006
  5. Bill Tuthill

    ASAAR Guest

    On 16 Feb 2006 10:30:45 -0800, Bill Tuthill wrote:

    > Too bad zoom doesn't go past 1000% or so. Is there a menu pick or
    > keyboard shortcut to set maximum zoom? If so I didn't see it.

    I don't know of any. While there are several options in the
    Fullscreen Properties Tab, they don't get you close to max. zoom.
    But you can set the zoom increment in the options menu above the
    default value of 10% which can get you to max. much quicker. The
    maximum zoom I can get to is slightly below 1000%, but that's no
    problem here, as it's enough for me to easily perform operations on
    individual pixels.

    ASAAR, Feb 16, 2006
  6. Bill Tuthill

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    ASAAR <> wrote:

    > I don't know of any. While there are several options in the
    > Fullscreen Properties Tab, they don't get you close to max. zoom.
    > But you can set the zoom increment in the options menu above the
    > default value of 10% which can get you to max. much quicker. The
    > maximum zoom I can get to is slightly below 1000%, but that's no
    > problem here, as it's enough for me to easily perform operations on
    > individual pixels.

    Thanks, I'll reset this.

    Recent versions of Photoshop (two I know are 5.5 and CS2) now use
    less-granular zoom. It's something like 25% 33% 50% 75% 100% 200% now.
    Without good resampling algorithms, those are the smoothest views anyway.

    Bill Tuthill, Feb 16, 2006