Redeye Issue

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Wingman, Oct 20, 2004.

  1. Wingman

    Wingman Guest

    I am hoping for some help as I am not much of a photographer, yet anyway. I
    bought the Cannon A85 back in July and have taken about 400 shots with it
    since then. I have noticed that I have an issue with Redeye on a handful of
    my indoor shots. I do have the redeye setting on, but that does not seem to
    always do the trick.

    I was hoping that someone could help me out with some advice. It is not
    consistent on every shot, but I would like to try to figure what is wrong or
    what I am doing wrong.

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Wingman, Oct 20, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Wingman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am hoping for some help as I am not much of a photographer, yet anyway.
    >I
    > bought the Cannon A85 back in July and have taken about 400 shots with it
    > since then. I have noticed that I have an issue with Redeye on a handful
    > of
    > my indoor shots. I do have the redeye setting on, but that does not seem
    > to
    > always do the trick.
    >
    > I was hoping that someone could help me out with some advice. It is not
    > consistent on every shot, but I would like to try to figure what is wrong
    > or
    > what I am doing wrong.


    It's not what you are doing. When the flash is on almost the same plane as
    the lens/sensor, you are going to have this problem. An external flash
    helps a lot, especially when you can bounce it off of a ceiling.

    Redeye reduction on the camera fires several pre-flashes to hopefully adjust
    the iris of the subject (shrink the opening). I said hopefully because the
    results vary a lot from subject to subject (humans have very different
    response times and different variations of the amount of iris reduction and
    different internal reflections from the eye itself).

    The built-in flash on almost all cameras is a convenience with limited
    performance.
    Charles Schuler, Oct 20, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Wingman

    Wingman Guest

    Thanks for the quick response. Are you recommending the external flash? I
    have seen them for this Cannon for about $70, but I was not if it was worth
    it.

    Is it easier to just keep things as in and continue to "fix" them prior to
    printing?


    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Wingman" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > >I am hoping for some help as I am not much of a photographer, yet anyway.
    > >I
    > > bought the Cannon A85 back in July and have taken about 400 shots with

    it
    > > since then. I have noticed that I have an issue with Redeye on a

    handful
    > > of
    > > my indoor shots. I do have the redeye setting on, but that does not

    seem
    > > to
    > > always do the trick.
    > >
    > > I was hoping that someone could help me out with some advice. It is not
    > > consistent on every shot, but I would like to try to figure what is

    wrong
    > > or
    > > what I am doing wrong.

    >
    > It's not what you are doing. When the flash is on almost the same plane

    as
    > the lens/sensor, you are going to have this problem. An external flash
    > helps a lot, especially when you can bounce it off of a ceiling.
    >
    > Redeye reduction on the camera fires several pre-flashes to hopefully

    adjust
    > the iris of the subject (shrink the opening). I said hopefully because

    the
    > results vary a lot from subject to subject (humans have very different
    > response times and different variations of the amount of iris reduction

    and
    > different internal reflections from the eye itself).
    >
    > The built-in flash on almost all cameras is a convenience with limited
    > performance.
    >
    >
    Wingman, Oct 20, 2004
    #3
  4. Wingman

    pet Guest

    On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:19:44 -0400, Wingman wrote:

    > I am hoping for some help as I am not much of a photographer, yet anyway. I
    > bought the Cannon A85 back in July and have taken about 400 shots with it
    > since then. I have noticed that I have an issue with Redeye on a handful of
    > my indoor shots. I do have the redeye setting on, but that does not seem to
    > always do the trick.
    >
    > I was hoping that someone could help me out with some advice. It is not
    > consistent on every shot, but I would like to try to figure what is wrong or
    > what I am doing wrong.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.


    Red eye occurs when the flash is too close to the lens. It is also more
    prevalent with blue-eyed people. Solutions:

    1. If possible, use a flash which can be mounted away from lens axis.
    2. Try bounce flash, if you have that capability.
    3. Use available light as much as possible.
    pet, Oct 20, 2004
    #4
  5. Wingman

    mark_digital Guest

    "Wingman" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I am hoping for some help as I am not much of a photographer, yet anyway. I
    > bought the Cannon A85 back in July and have taken about 400 shots with it
    > since then. I have noticed that I have an issue with Redeye on a handful of
    > my indoor shots. I do have the redeye setting on, but that does not seem to
    > always do the trick.
    >
    > I was hoping that someone could help me out with some advice. It is not
    > consistent on every shot, but I would like to try to figure what is wrong or
    > what I am doing wrong.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    >


    If red-eye reduction worked like it should in theory then anyone using
    a high resolution camera would catch the abnormal pin size pupil.
    Believe me I know. It doesn't look natural.
    What also doesn't look natural is post processing red-eye and end up
    with pupils larger than they should be. Now you have the task of not
    only reducing the pupil's circumference, you have to put some reflection
    of flash in the pupil otherwise it won't look normal or natural.
    Did someone say it would cost you $70 for a bounce flash? It's well
    worth it. Think of the times you may need to capture far beyond what
    your integrated flash provides. Think about how nice it would be to
    illuminate your subject and also finally see what is outside that window
    next to them.

    mark_
    mark_digital, Oct 21, 2004
    #5
  6. Wingman

    Gary Guest

    are you holding the button 1/2 way down until you hear the beep before
    pushing it all the way. I had a lot of red eyes until I realized this is
    how the redeye reduction was supposed to work on the Pro1. Used it for 2
    months before a friend told me that. Haven't had one red eye since.


    "Wingman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I am hoping for some help as I am not much of a photographer, yet anyway.

    I
    > bought the Cannon A85 back in July and have taken about 400 shots with it
    > since then. I have noticed that I have an issue with Redeye on a handful

    of
    > my indoor shots. I do have the redeye setting on, but that does not seem

    to
    > always do the trick.
    >
    > I was hoping that someone could help me out with some advice. It is not
    > consistent on every shot, but I would like to try to figure what is wrong

    or
    > what I am doing wrong.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >
    >
    Gary, Oct 21, 2004
    #6
  7. Wingman

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Gary wrote:

    > are you holding the button 1/2 way down until you hear the beep before
    > pushing it all the way. I had a lot of red eyes until I realized this is
    > how the redeye reduction was supposed to work on the Pro1. Used it for 2
    > months before a friend told me that. Haven't had one red eye since.
    >
    >
    > "Wingman" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>I am hoping for some help as I am not much of a photographer, yet anyway.

    >
    > I
    >
    >>bought the Cannon A85 back in July and have taken about 400 shots with it
    >>since then. I have noticed that I have an issue with Redeye on a handful

    >
    > of
    >
    >>my indoor shots. I do have the redeye setting on, but that does not seem

    >
    > to
    >
    >>always do the trick.
    >>
    >>I was hoping that someone could help me out with some advice. It is not
    >>consistent on every shot, but I would like to try to figure what is wrong

    >
    > or
    >
    >>what I am doing wrong.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance for any help.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    >

    I have an A40. Since neither this nor the A85 have an external shoe, how
    does the external flash work. The internal flash is still going to fire.
    Different situation on the G series and up. I can't understand why canon
    couldn't provide a miniature plug to accomadate an external flash cord.
    Flash could incorporate a bracket that screws into tripod socket.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Oct 21, 2004
    #7
  8. Wingman

    Clyde Guest

    Wingman wrote:
    > Thanks for the quick response. Are you recommending the external flash? I
    > have seen them for this Cannon for about $70, but I was not if it was worth
    > it.
    >
    > Is it easier to just keep things as in and continue to "fix" them prior to
    > printing?
    >
    >
    > "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>"Wingman" <> wrote in message
    >>news:...
    >>
    >>>I am hoping for some help as I am not much of a photographer, yet anyway.
    >>>I
    >>>bought the Cannon A85 back in July and have taken about 400 shots with

    >
    > it
    >
    >>>since then. I have noticed that I have an issue with Redeye on a

    >
    > handful
    >
    >>>of
    >>>my indoor shots. I do have the redeye setting on, but that does not

    >
    > seem
    >
    >>>to
    >>>always do the trick.
    >>>
    >>>I was hoping that someone could help me out with some advice. It is not
    >>>consistent on every shot, but I would like to try to figure what is

    >
    > wrong
    >
    >>>or
    >>>what I am doing wrong.

    >>
    >>It's not what you are doing. When the flash is on almost the same plane

    >
    > as
    >
    >>the lens/sensor, you are going to have this problem. An external flash
    >>helps a lot, especially when you can bounce it off of a ceiling.
    >>
    >>Redeye reduction on the camera fires several pre-flashes to hopefully

    >
    > adjust
    >
    >>the iris of the subject (shrink the opening). I said hopefully because

    >
    > the
    >
    >>results vary a lot from subject to subject (humans have very different
    >>response times and different variations of the amount of iris reduction

    >
    > and
    >
    >>different internal reflections from the eye itself).
    >>
    >>The built-in flash on almost all cameras is a convenience with limited
    >>performance.
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    >


    Just using an external flash won't do it. That is why us wedding
    photographers put the flash on a bracket. That flash should be about 12
    inches above the lens. This works very well.

    Clyde
    Clyde, Oct 22, 2004
    #8

  9. > Just using an external flash won't do it. That is why us wedding
    > photographers put the flash on a bracket. That flash should be about 12
    > inches above the lens. This works very well.


    True but, in many cases, bounce flash works well too.
    Charles Schuler, Oct 23, 2004
    #9
  10. Wingman

    Wingman Guest

    I have been holding the button down, you need to on this model before it
    will even shoot.
    I don't have it all the time, but enough of the time that I wanted to look
    at options.

    Thanks,

    "Gary" <> wrote in message
    news:bkGdd.1251$nz1.951@pd7tw3no...
    > are you holding the button 1/2 way down until you hear the beep before
    > pushing it all the way. I had a lot of red eyes until I realized this is
    > how the redeye reduction was supposed to work on the Pro1. Used it for 2
    > months before a friend told me that. Haven't had one red eye since.
    >
    >
    > "Wingman" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > I am hoping for some help as I am not much of a photographer, yet

    anyway.
    > I
    > > bought the Cannon A85 back in July and have taken about 400 shots with

    it
    > > since then. I have noticed that I have an issue with Redeye on a

    handful
    > of
    > > my indoor shots. I do have the redeye setting on, but that does not

    seem
    > to
    > > always do the trick.
    > >
    > > I was hoping that someone could help me out with some advice. It is not
    > > consistent on every shot, but I would like to try to figure what is

    wrong
    > or
    > > what I am doing wrong.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > >
    > >

    >
    >
    Wingman, Oct 23, 2004
    #10
  11. Wingman

    Wingman Guest

    That is exactly what I was thinking. I have looked at the external flashes
    since the first message was posted. How does it work on a camera that does
    not have a plug? I am assuming that the internal flash gets shut off, but
    how would you trigger the external flash?


    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    news:1098375823.F54sFY9o76KQ3iXxGFuweQ@teranews...

    I have an A40. Since neither this nor the A85 have an external shoe, how
    does the external flash work. The internal flash is still going to fire.
    Different situation on the G series and up. I can't understand why canon
    couldn't provide a miniature plug to accommodate an external flash cord.
    Flash could incorporate a bracket that screws into tripod socket.
    Dave Cohen

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    news:1098375823.F54sFY9o76KQ3iXxGFuweQ@teranews...

    > Gary wrote:
    >
    > > are you holding the button 1/2 way down until you hear the beep before
    > > pushing it all the way. I had a lot of red eyes until I realized this

    is
    > > how the redeye reduction was supposed to work on the Pro1. Used it for

    2
    > > months before a friend told me that. Haven't had one red eye since.
    > >
    > >
    > > "Wingman" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > >
    > >>I am hoping for some help as I am not much of a photographer, yet

    anyway.
    > >
    > > I
    > >
    > >>bought the Cannon A85 back in July and have taken about 400 shots with

    it
    > >>since then. I have noticed that I have an issue with Redeye on a

    handful
    > >
    > > of
    > >
    > >>my indoor shots. I do have the redeye setting on, but that does not

    seem
    > >
    > > to
    > >
    > >>always do the trick.
    > >>
    > >>I was hoping that someone could help me out with some advice. It is not
    > >>consistent on every shot, but I would like to try to figure what is

    wrong
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > >>what I am doing wrong.
    > >>
    > >>Thanks in advance for any help.
    > >>
    > >>

    > >
    > >
    > >

    > I have an A40. Since neither this nor the A85 have an external shoe, how
    > does the external flash work. The internal flash is still going to fire.
    > Different situation on the G series and up. I can't understand why canon
    > couldn't provide a miniature plug to accomadate an external flash cord.
    > Flash could incorporate a bracket that screws into tripod socket.
    > Dave Cohen
    Wingman, Oct 23, 2004
    #11
  12. Wingman

    Clyde Guest

    Charles Schuler wrote:
    >>Just using an external flash won't do it. That is why us wedding
    >>photographers put the flash on a bracket. That flash should be about 12
    >>inches above the lens. This works very well.

    >
    >
    > True but, in many cases, bounce flash works well too.
    >
    >


    True... If you have something to bounce off of.

    For wedding photography (my field) that's way too much time and
    fiddling. You have to check to see if there is a big enough surface
    close enough and neutral/white enough to work. Then you have to aim the
    flash at it in a way that will bounce to the subject correctly. All that
    is way too much to do in a fast moving situation like wedding photography.

    However, if all that works and you have time, bounce works fine and
    certainly softens the light very nicely.

    Clyde
    Clyde, Oct 23, 2004
    #12

  13. > True... If you have something to bounce off of.
    >
    > For wedding photography (my field) that's way too much time and fiddling.
    > You have to check to see if there is a big enough surface close enough and
    > neutral/white enough to work. Then you have to aim the flash at it in a
    > way that will bounce to the subject correctly. All that is way too much to
    > do in a fast moving situation like wedding photography.
    >
    > However, if all that works and you have time, bounce works fine and
    > certainly softens the light very nicely.


    I have done three weddings (as an amateur) with a Canon 550EX. Bounce
    worked great. I didn't fiddle, it just worked. Granted, beginners luck is
    often a factor and three is no big deal.

    The lighting of bounced flash is really nice ... perhaps not as nice as some
    natural light, but nice enough.
    Charles Schuler, Oct 23, 2004
    #13
  14. Wingman

    Wingman Guest

    How does it either option work with the A80?


    "Charles Schuler" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > > True... If you have something to bounce off of.
    > >
    > > For wedding photography (my field) that's way too much time and

    fiddling.
    > > You have to check to see if there is a big enough surface close enough

    and
    > > neutral/white enough to work. Then you have to aim the flash at it in a
    > > way that will bounce to the subject correctly. All that is way too much

    to
    > > do in a fast moving situation like wedding photography.
    > >
    > > However, if all that works and you have time, bounce works fine and
    > > certainly softens the light very nicely.

    >
    > I have done three weddings (as an amateur) with a Canon 550EX. Bounce
    > worked great. I didn't fiddle, it just worked. Granted, beginners luck

    is
    > often a factor and three is no big deal.
    >
    > The lighting of bounced flash is really nice ... perhaps not as nice as

    some
    > natural light, but nice enough.
    >
    >
    Wingman, Oct 23, 2004
    #14
  15. Wingman

    dj_nme Guest

    Clyde wrote:
    > Charles Schuler wrote:
    >
    >>> Just using an external flash won't do it. That is why us wedding
    >>> photographers put the flash on a bracket. That flash should be about
    >>> 12 inches above the lens. This works very well.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> True but, in many cases, bounce flash works well too.
    >>

    >
    > True... If you have something to bounce off of.
    >
    > For wedding photography (my field) that's way too much time and
    > fiddling. You have to check to see if there is a big enough surface
    > close enough and neutral/white enough to work. Then you have to aim the
    > flash at it in a way that will bounce to the subject correctly. All that
    > is way too much to do in a fast moving situation like wedding photography.
    >
    > However, if all that works and you have time, bounce works fine and
    > certainly softens the light very nicely.
    >
    > Clyde


    http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-82.html has a soution for a portable
    bounce-flash setup.
    Not every solution requires thousands of dollars worth of gear.
    dj_nme, Oct 24, 2004
    #15
  16. Wingman

    Clyde Guest

    Charles Schuler wrote:
    >>True... If you have something to bounce off of.
    >>
    >>For wedding photography (my field) that's way too much time and fiddling.
    >>You have to check to see if there is a big enough surface close enough and
    >>neutral/white enough to work. Then you have to aim the flash at it in a
    >>way that will bounce to the subject correctly. All that is way too much to
    >>do in a fast moving situation like wedding photography.
    >>
    >>However, if all that works and you have time, bounce works fine and
    >>certainly softens the light very nicely.

    >
    >
    > I have done three weddings (as an amateur) with a Canon 550EX. Bounce
    > worked great. I didn't fiddle, it just worked. Granted, beginners luck is
    > often a factor and three is no big deal.
    >
    > The lighting of bounced flash is really nice ... perhaps not as nice as some
    > natural light, but nice enough.
    >
    >


    I suppose I would have a very few weddings where bounce would work.
    Usually the ceiling is very high (or not there), highly ornate, and/or
    not even close to white.

    Clyde
    Clyde, Oct 24, 2004
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Christopher

    Automated Redeye Tool?

    Christopher, Oct 1, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    302
  2. Kodak 6490 - Redeye Central

    , Dec 26, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    17
    Views:
    564
    Ron Hunter
    Jan 1, 2004
  3. Angel

    Hotshoe flash and redeye

    Angel, Dec 29, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    572
    Angel
    Dec 30, 2003
  4. Lowryter

    Nikon 5700 RedEye

    Lowryter, Dec 21, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    281
    Lowryter
    Dec 22, 2004
  5. Alison Chaiken
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    718
    lord derfel cadarn
    Feb 14, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page