Redesigning my network - what do I need?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Julian Regel, Jun 6, 2006.

  1. Julian Regel

    Julian Regel Guest

    I'm in the process of re-designing my work's network to make it more
    secure and scalable. I've identified six different groups of hosts that
    would benefit from being on their own VLAN (internal network, secure
    DMZ, dirty DMZ, customer networks and a training network).

    In terms of connectivity between them, there should be some form of
    access control or firewalling. I'm not sure what the best bit(s) of kit
    would be = should I look at a six port firewall (potentially expensive
    with little room to upgrade)? Should they all connect to a global VLAN
    switch which also hosts a router (the "router on a stick")? What about
    Layer 3 switches?

    I know I can achieve the above by running a Linux server with multiple
    NICs and some routing and firewall scripts, but this seems a bit "home
    grown" and I want to know what the "best practice" is in this area.

    Thanks in advance.

    Julian Regel, Jun 6, 2006

  2. Julian Regel

    Guest

    Forget the linux route... its just a dog with fleas.

    A pix or ASA will allow you to use vlans to connect to one physical
    interface. From there, you can "intervlan route" with security acls
    applied on the virtual interfaces...

    Joe

    Julian Regel wrote:
    > I'm in the process of re-designing my work's network to make it more
    > secure and scalable. I've identified six different groups of hosts that
    > would benefit from being on their own VLAN (internal network, secure
    > DMZ, dirty DMZ, customer networks and a training network).
    >
    > In terms of connectivity between them, there should be some form of
    > access control or firewalling. I'm not sure what the best bit(s) of kit
    > would be = should I look at a six port firewall (potentially expensive
    > with little room to upgrade)? Should they all connect to a global VLAN
    > switch which also hosts a router (the "router on a stick")? What about
    > Layer 3 switches?
    >
    > I know I can achieve the above by running a Linux server with multiple
    > NICs and some routing and firewall scripts, but this seems a bit "home
    > grown" and I want to know what the "best practice" is in this area.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    , Jun 6, 2006