    I asked this question a few weeks earlier and got no answer that worked,
    thought I'd put it out there again to see if anyone can help.

    Thanks very much for positive input.

    Muse Gruppes, Sep 5, 2010

  2. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes Guest

    On 9/5/2010 2:50 AM, Muse Gruppes wrote:
    > Why is this happening? Using Win 7 Ult.
    >
    > I've googled everywhere and I can't figure out why the network
    > connection icon is showing a red x yet I'm connecting to the internet
    > just fine, one site said it might have to do with network adapters or
    > something (yes I'm being vague I'm at a loss to as to what's going on)
    >
    > here's a screenshot that may help (showing hidden devices)
    >
    > http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1020/wans.jpg
    >
    > I asked this question a few weeks earlier and got no answer that worked,
    > thought I'd put it out there again to see if anyone can help.
    >
    > Thanks very much for positive input.

    I DID IT!!! Somehow after weeeeeeeeeeeeks of tinkering I went through
    SERVICES and manually started some services that looked like they should
    not be disabled (nothing drastic like remote registry har har) anyway,
    things related to network connectivity, so I went to network connections
    and something appeared listed that was never there before!

    Connections: Local area connection 2

    for some reason it's not listed after doing a bit of tinkering, trouble
    is I don't remember what one thing (or two) I did that made the red x go
    away and have things back to normal.

    I feel like a finished a marathon.... lol

    Muse Gruppes, Sep 5, 2010

  3. Muse Gruppes

    Muse Gruppes, Sep 5, 2010
  4. Muse Gruppes

    Tony Guest

    Whether it's fixed or not is irrelevant. Delete *all* the drivers to your
    ethernet card then delete all your connections to the internet then reboot.
    Now windows should *install* all the relevant drivers. Speaking of drivers
    the last time i drove my car it collapsed on a side street.
    I'm Chuckcar aka Chuck Carlson and i approve of this post!

    --
    The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

    Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

    manners

    Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs but got fired the first day
    on the job for potty mouth,

    the realm of understandability

    Tony, Sep 5, 2010
  5. Muse Gruppes

    chuckcar Guest

    Muse Gruppes <> wrote in

    > Why is this happening? Using Win 7 Ult.
    >
    > I've googled everywhere and I can't figure out why the network
    > connection icon is showing a red x yet I'm connecting to the internet
    > just fine, one site said it might have to do with network adapters or
    > something (yes I'm being vague I'm at a loss to as to what's going on)
    >
    > here's a screenshot that may help (showing hidden devices)
    >
    > http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1020/wans.jpg
    >
    > I asked this question a few weeks earlier and got no answer that
    > worked, thought I'd put it out there again to see if anyone can help.
    >
    > Thanks very much for positive input.

    Exactly *how* many network cards do you *have* on that computer?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 5, 2010
  6. Muse Gruppes

    Mike Yetto Guest

    chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >Muse Gruppes <> wrote in

    >> Why is this happening? Using Win 7 Ult.
    >>
    >> I've googled everywhere and I can't figure out why the network
    >> connection icon is showing a red x yet I'm connecting to the internet
    >> just fine, one site said it might have to do with network adapters or
    >> something (yes I'm being vague I'm at a loss to as to what's going on)
    >>
    >> here's a screenshot that may help (showing hidden devices)
    >>
    >> http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1020/wans.jpg
    >>
    >> I asked this question a few weeks earlier and got no answer that
    >> worked, thought I'd put it out there again to see if anyone can help.
    >>
    >> Thanks very much for positive input.

    >Exactly *how* many network cards do you *have* on that computer?

    There's a good chance that he has two, wired and wireless. The
    status displayed was probably for the one that was disabled.

    Mike "two coins totaling 35 cents, one isn't a quarter" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 5, 2010
  7. Muse Gruppes

    chuckcar Guest

    Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>Muse Gruppes <> wrote in

    >>> Why is this happening? Using Win 7 Ult.
    >>>
    >>> I've googled everywhere and I can't figure out why the network
    >>> connection icon is showing a red x yet I'm connecting to the
    >>> internet just fine, one site said it might have to do with network
    >>> adapters or something (yes I'm being vague I'm at a loss to as to
    >>> what's going on)
    >>>
    >>> here's a screenshot that may help (showing hidden devices)
    >>>
    >>> http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/1020/wans.jpg
    >>>
    >>> I asked this question a few weeks earlier and got no answer that
    >>> worked, thought I'd put it out there again to see if anyone can
    >>> help.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks very much for positive input.

    >>Exactly *how* many network cards do you *have* on that computer?

    > There's a good chance that he has two, wired and wireless. The
    > status displayed was probably for the one that was disabled.
    >
    > Mike "two coins totaling 35 cents, one isn't a quarter" Yetto

    No, It's virtually certain that he has loads of corrupted drivers.
    That's exactly how you get that sort of result in MS windows.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 5, 2010
  8. Muse Gruppes

    Mike Yetto Guest

    chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >> chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>>Muse Gruppes <> wrote in

    >>>Exactly *how* many network cards do you *have* on that computer?

    >> There's a good chance that he has two, wired and wireless. The
    >> status displayed was probably for the one that was disabled.
    >>

    >No, It's virtually certain that he has loads of corrupted drivers.
    >That's exactly how you get that sort of result in MS windows.

    I think you were on the right track asking about multiple network
    cards. However, you managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of
    victory by bringing corrupted drivers into the picture.

    It isn't unusual to have the status of the unused connection
    show, regardless of the OS. I switched the tray icon to show the
    wireless connection since it was always showing a disconnected
    wired connection. This may be what the OP did to solve the
    problem.

    Mike "quit while you're ahead" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 5, 2010
  9. Muse Gruppes

    chuckcar Guest

    Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >>> chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.

    >>> There's a good chance that he has two, wired and wireless. The
    >>> status displayed was probably for the one that was disabled.
    >>>

    >>No, It's virtually certain that he has loads of corrupted drivers.
    >>That's exactly how you get that sort of result in MS windows.

    > I think you were on the right track asking about multiple network
    > cards. However, you managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of
    > victory by bringing corrupted drivers into the picture.
    >
    > It isn't unusual to have the status of the unused connection
    > show, regardless of the OS. I switched the tray icon to show the
    > wireless connection since it was always showing a disconnected
    > wired connection. This may be what the OP did to solve the
    > problem.

    Really? then how do you explain that there's only a couple of cards
    involved. Look I've seen this exact situation, just like this. The most
    complicated it gets is in sound, where you get some really wierd codecs.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 5, 2010
  10. Muse Gruppes

    Mike Yetto Guest

    chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >> chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>>Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >>>No, It's virtually certain that he has loads of corrupted drivers.
    >>>That's exactly how you get that sort of result in MS windows.

    >> I think you were on the right track asking about multiple network
    >> cards. However, you managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of
    >> victory by bringing corrupted drivers into the picture.
    >>
    >> It isn't unusual to have the status of the unused connection
    >> show, regardless of the OS. I switched the tray icon to show the
    >> wireless connection since it was always showing a disconnected
    >> wired connection. This may be what the OP did to solve the
    >> problem.

    >Really? then how do you explain that there's only a couple of cards
    >involved. Look I've seen this exact situation, just like this. The most
    >complicated it gets is in sound, where you get some really wierd codecs.

    When I noted the tray icon showing a disconnected wired interface
    while I had a wireless interface working I found it easy to a two
    and two to come up with four. Check my headers to see what OS
    I'm dealing with here. The solution was to show the state of the
    NIC I use nearly all the time. The other NIC (I only have two)
    is used rarely.

    You might have come up with five because you are running a sound
    codec on your NIC.

    Mike "when you're stuck in a hole, stop digging" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 5, 2010
  11. Muse Gruppes

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Evan Platt <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 15:24:36 -0400, Mike Yetto <>
    >wrote:

    >>I think you were on the right track asking about multiple network
    >>cards. However, you managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of
    >>victory by bringing corrupted drivers into the picture.

    >Chucktard WAS a one hit wonder troll (he still is, now he's just added
    >nymshifting / sock puppeting to his skill set). Chucktard has a
    >limited set of answers, and that's one of them. Reset your BIOS,
    >format your hard drive, scan for virus / malware, remove <blank>
    >drivers, reboot, etc.

    In the last three threads where I replied to the chuckster, I
    agreed with his posts. In this one I had the same idea thet he
    seemed to present at first. I don't know why he shifted gears
    when he did, but that puts his most recent posts ahead of your
    recent ones for usability.

    He must be so used to your fan-boi stalking and attacks that he
    sees every response as a fan-boi attack. Get a life, Evan, and
    return to being helpful.

    Mike "and leave RtS to his own devices as well" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 5, 2010
  12. Muse Gruppes

    chuckcar Guest

    Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >>> chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.

    >>> I think you were on the right track asking about multiple network
    >>> cards. However, you managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of
    >>> victory by bringing corrupted drivers into the picture.
    >>>
    >>> It isn't unusual to have the status of the unused connection
    >>> show, regardless of the OS. I switched the tray icon to show the
    >>> wireless connection since it was always showing a disconnected
    >>> wired connection. This may be what the OP did to solve the
    >>> problem.

    >>Really? then how do you explain that there's only a couple of cards
    >>involved. Look I've seen this exact situation, just like this. The
    >>most complicated it gets is in sound, where you get some really wierd
    >>codecs.

    > When I noted the tray icon showing a disconnected wired interface
    > while I had a wireless interface working I found it easy to a two
    > and two to come up with four. Check my headers to see what OS
    > I'm dealing with here. The solution was to show the state of the
    > NIC I use nearly all the time. The other NIC (I only have two)
    > is used rarely.

    That's in a circumstance where all are working (*apparantly* at least)
    properly. That's not the case with the OP.

    > You might have come up with five because you are running a sound
    > codec on your NIC.

    Now *that* last sentence just shows how much out of your depth you are on
    this one.

    And where's *your* picture? The fact that you describe something you see
    as similar is irrelevant.

    A man has to know his limitations - Clint Eastwood.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 5, 2010
  13. Muse Gruppes

    Mike Yetto Guest

    chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >> chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>>Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >>>Really? then how do you explain that there's only a couple of cards
    >>>involved. Look I've seen this exact situation, just like this. The
    >>>most complicated it gets is in sound, where you get some really wierd
    >>>codecs.

    >> When I noted the tray icon showing a disconnected wired interface
    >> while I had a wireless interface working I found it easy to a two
    >> and two to come up with four. Check my headers to see what OS
    >> I'm dealing with here. The solution was to show the state of the
    >> NIC I use nearly all the time. The other NIC (I only have two)
    >> is used rarely.
    >>

    >That's in a circumstance where all are working (*apparantly* at least)
    >properly. That's not the case with the OP.

    It's the case when the status of the disconnected NIC is shown
    rather than the connected one. Which seems to fit with the OP
    solving the problem by restarting some services and noting the
    existance of another device as well as a solved problem.

    Of course, you would need to infer much of this from the sparse
    information posted by the OP. Nevertheless, I still maintain
    that my hypothesis was, and still is, valid.

    >> You might have come up with five because you are running a sound
    >> codec on your NIC.
    >>

    >Now *that* last sentence just shows how much out of your depth you are on
    >this one.

    Well, so much for having your back. You are the one who brought
    sound codecs into this. And FYI, there was some sarcasm there,
    but the smilely was withheld for the humo(u)r impaired.

    ed. The (u) is for readers who speak the other English.

    >And where's *your* picture? The fact that you describe something you see
    >as similar is irrelevant.

    Pictures have nothing to do with it either. Similar phenomena
    have enough in common to warrant looking at similar fixes.

    >A man has to know his limitations - Clint Eastwood.

    In _Magnum Force_ Dirty Harry was quoting the Captain (Strother
    Martin) from _Cool Hand Luke_.

    Mike "'nothing' isn't always a cool hand" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 5, 2010
  14. Muse Gruppes

    chuckcar Guest

    Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    > chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >>Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >>> When I noted the tray icon showing a disconnected wired interface
    >>> while I had a wireless interface working I found it easy to a two
    >>> and two to come up with four. Check my headers to see what OS
    >>> I'm dealing with here. The solution was to show the state of the
    >>> NIC I use nearly all the time. The other NIC (I only have two)
    >>> is used rarely.
    >>>

    >>That's in a circumstance where all are working (*apparantly* at least)
    >>properly. That's not the case with the OP.

    > It's the case when the status of the disconnected NIC is shown
    > rather than the connected one. Which seems to fit with the OP
    > solving the problem by restarting some services and noting the
    > existance of another device as well as a solved problem.
    >
    > Of course, you would need to infer much of this from the sparse
    > information posted by the OP. Nevertheless, I still maintain
    > that my hypothesis was, and still is, valid.
    >
    >>> You might have come up with five because you are running a sound
    >>> codec on your NIC.
    >>>

    >>Now *that* last sentence just shows how much out of your depth you are
    >>on this one.

    > Well, so much for having your back. You are the one who brought
    > sound codecs into this. And FYI, there was some sarcasm there,
    > but the smilely was withheld for the humo(u)r impaired.

    It was a bleeding aside. I wasn't saying you'll find the nic drivers
    under sound video and game controllers. You *can* however find sometimes
    VPN drivers there however. That's a direct result of windows inserting
    drivers when the actual drivers don't behave properly. Because they're,
    wait for it, corrupted of course. It's called PnP. It doesn't work right
    if the drivers all don't. Do you understand how this works now?

    Granted theoretically, you could have any drivers put under any category
    under device manager. Only when there's corruption however.

    Really you *are* out of your depth here. You're the one digging the
    hole.

    >The (u) is for readers who speak the other English.

    You mean the one that people who don't know what they're talking about
    and have no technical background use?

    >>And where's *your* picture? The fact that you describe something you
    >>see as similar is irrelevant.

    > Pictures have nothing to do with it either. Similar phenomena
    > have enough in common to warrant looking at similar fixes.

    Name one other situation that fits those facts and provide proof.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 5, 2010
  15. Muse Gruppes

    Mike Yetto Guest

    chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    >It was a bleeding aside. I wasn't saying you'll find the nic drivers
    >under sound video and game controllers. You *can* however find sometimes
    >VPN drivers there however. That's a direct result of windows inserting
    >drivers when the actual drivers don't behave properly. Because they're,
    >wait for it, corrupted of course. It's called PnP. It doesn't work right
    >if the drivers all don't. Do you understand how this works now?

    So when I mention a nearly identical phenomenon it's irrelevant,
    but your alleged analogy to sound codecs is an analytical gem?
    Just keep back-pedaling. The OP's problem was the necessary
    services for the NIC whose status was showing were not running.

    >Granted theoretically, you could have any drivers put under any category
    >under device manager. Only when there's corruption however.

    Many drivers can be categorized as drunk, but they are no more
    relevant than corrupted sound codecs.

    >Really you *are* out of your depth here. You're the one digging the
    >hole.

    No. And next time you start out correct I'll just leave you to
    "correct" that as well.

    >>The (u) is for readers who speak the other English.

    >You mean the one that people who don't know what they're talking about
    >and have no technical background use?

    No, I meant readers who speak The Queen's English. I speak
    American English and you speak nonsense.

    >>>And where's *your* picture? The fact that you describe something you
    >>>see as similar is irrelevant.

    >> Pictures have nothing to do with it either. Similar phenomena
    >> have enough in common to warrant looking at similar fixes.
    >>

    >Name one other situation that fits those facts and provide proof.

    I've named one already and since I didn't document it, you can
    accept my previous statements or disprove them. I really don't
    care to prove the actual cause of the OP's problem. He declared
    it solved and didn't seem able to describe it in enough detail to
    prove anything.

    This thread illustrates why you never seem to receive any support
    that didn't originate from a sock-puppet. You aren't even
    capable of recognizing when someone is in agreement with you.

    Mike "I won't burden you with that again" Yetto
    In practice they are not.

    Mike Yetto, Sep 6, 2010
  16. Muse Gruppes

    Aardvark Guest

    On Sun, 05 Sep 2010 21:05:59 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > *apparantly*

    WTF?????

    --
    "When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
    Then I realised God doesn’t work that way, so I stole one and

    Aardvark, Sep 6, 2010
  17. Muse Gruppes

    chuckcar Guest

    Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    > Mike "I won't burden you with that again" Yetto

    Good. Unless you educate yourself of the matter, that's the smartest
    course of action and best for the group.

    Just stick to newsreaders and things you know something about. I won't
    bother with the rest of what you say. I don't fight egos.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 6, 2010
  18. Muse Gruppes

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > Mike Yetto <> wrote in
    >
    >> Mike "I won't burden you with that again" Yetto

    > Good. Unless you educate yourself of the matter, that's the smartest
    > course of action and best for the group.

    Did you not see Mike agree with your initial question?. Did you not see Mike
    have a go a Evan on your behalf? Did you not see Mike trying to be, er,
    friendly?

    And you insult his intelligence like this? You, who have been proven over an
    over to have absolutely not idea about anything you are talking about.
    Unlike Mike who often provides quite correct answers, something I have yet
    to see you do.

    > Just stick to newsreaders and things you know something about. I won't
    > bother with the rest of what you say. I don't fight egos.

    You really are a bloody sick puppy dog chucktard.

    rf, Sep 6, 2010
  19. Muse Gruppes

    chuckcar Guest

    Evan Platt <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 6 Sep 2010 00:21:12 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Good. Unless you educate yourself of the matter, that's the smartest
    >>course of action and best for the group.
    >>
    >>Just stick to newsreaders and things you know something about. I won't
    >>bother with the rest of what you say. I don't fight egos.

    > And you chucktard, should stick with things you know. Like.. Umm...
    > <crickets chirping> I'll get back to you on that.
    >
    > Or are you going to have your sock puppet agree with you?

    Having trouble posting super genius? ROFL.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 6, 2010
  20. Muse Gruppes

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 01:30:06 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Having trouble posting super genius?

    I should think that super genius would be difficult for anyone to post.

    Aardvark, Sep 6, 2010