    all your Web-surfing habits for as long as you have your browser open.

    Burp

    -----

    Burp, Nov 22, 2003

  2. Burp

    Boomer Guest

    LID (Burp) wrote in
    news::

    > What is the best way to keep the red sheriff tracking cookie off a
    > PC? It comes up everytime I run Ad-aware.
    >
    > Quote from some web site:
    > RED SHERIFF From a company of the same name, this Java applet
    > reports all your Web-surfing habits for as long as you have your
    > browser open.
    >
    > Burp

    Have you tried these?

    SpybotSD Aims for the dialers, trojans,
    hijackers and security/privacy issues.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Spyware Blaster

    http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

    Info on above and more.

    Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

    ~ Spyware Information ~
    http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

    ~Unsolicited commercial software list and info~
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

    ~Other software~
    http://www.wilders.org/

    Newsgroup: alt.privacy.spyware

    Boomer, Nov 22, 2003

  3. Burp

    °Mike° Guest

    Add the following to your hosts file:

    127.0.0.1 measurement.redsheriff.com
    127.0.0.1 www.redsheriff.it
    127.0.0.1 www.redsheriff.com
    127.0.0.1 server-au.imrworldwide.com
    127.0.0.1 server-dk.imrworldwide.com
    127.0.0.1 server-it.imrworldwide.com
    127.0.0.1 server-no.imrworldwide.com
    127.0.0.1 server-nz.imrworldwide.com
    127.0.0.1 server-sg.imrworldwide.com
    127.0.0.1 server-uk.imrworldwide.com
    127.0.0.1 server-us.imrworldwide.com

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:59:35 GMT, in
    <>
    Burp scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 22, 2003
  4. Burp

    TRADESMAN Guest

    Burp wrote:
    > What is the best way to keep the red sheriff tracking cookie off a PC?
    > It comes up everytime I run Ad-aware.
    >
    > Quote from some web site:
    > RED SHERIFF From a company of the same name, this Java applet reports
    > all your Web-surfing habits for as long as you have your browser open.
    >
    > Burp
    >
    > -----

    Launch the Ad Aware knowledge base and it tells you how to deal with
    recurrent cookies, as well as giving a link to a very efficient cookie wall.

    TRADESMAN, Nov 22, 2003
  5. Burp

    Ionizer Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Add the following to your hosts file:
    >
    > 127.0.0.1 measurement.redsheriff.com
    > 127.0.0.1 www.redsheriff.it
    > 127.0.0.1 www.redsheriff.com
    > 127.0.0.1 server-au.imrworldwide.com
    > 127.0.0.1 server-dk.imrworldwide.com
    > 127.0.0.1 server-it.imrworldwide.com
    > 127.0.0.1 server-no.imrworldwide.com
    > 127.0.0.1 server-nz.imrworldwide.com
    > 127.0.0.1 server-sg.imrworldwide.com
    > 127.0.0.1 server-uk.imrworldwide.com
    > 127.0.0.1 server-us.imrworldwide.com

    Would adding *.redsheriff.com and *.imrworldwide.com into my IE Restricted
    Sites zone have the same effect? I've been occasionally using this approach
    in reaction to a variety of tracking cookies identified by AdAware, and I'm
    not sure, but I *think* I'm seeing less recurrence of those cookies as a
    result.

    Thanks,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Nov 22, 2003
  6. Burp

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:52:12 -0500, in
    <bpnt6t$1q4d8b$-berlin.de>
    Ionizer scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> Add the following to your hosts file:
    >>
    >> 127.0.0.1 measurement.redsheriff.com
    >> 127.0.0.1 www.redsheriff.it
    >> 127.0.0.1 www.redsheriff.com
    >> 127.0.0.1 server-au.imrworldwide.com
    >> 127.0.0.1 server-dk.imrworldwide.com
    >> 127.0.0.1 server-it.imrworldwide.com
    >> 127.0.0.1 server-no.imrworldwide.com
    >> 127.0.0.1 server-nz.imrworldwide.com
    >> 127.0.0.1 server-sg.imrworldwide.com
    >> 127.0.0.1 server-uk.imrworldwide.com
    >> 127.0.0.1 server-us.imrworldwide.com

    >Would adding *.redsheriff.com and *.imrworldwide.com into my IE Restricted
    >Sites zone have the same effect? I've been occasionally using this approach
    >in reaction to a variety of tracking cookies identified by AdAware, and I'm
    >not sure, but I *think* I'm seeing less recurrence of those cookies as a
    >result.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Ian.

    You could add them, yes, but there really isn't any need
    if you have them redirected to your own machine, in your
    hosts file. The above list is the latest names for Red
    Sheriff, as far as I am aware.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 22, 2003