  1. Just another indication of how, in the current downturn, as proprietary
    software companies suffer, open source continues to go from strength to
    strength <http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/07/20/who-is-the-next-red-hat/>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 22, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Me Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Just another indication of how, in the current downturn, as proprietary
    > software companies suffer, open source continues to go from strength to
    > strength <http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/07/20/who-is-the-next-red-hat/>.

    Perhaps the real reason why Red Hat joined the S&P 500 has much more to
    do with consolidation, bankruptcy, and loss of capital value in the
    banking sector of the US than a ringing endorsement for a particular
    software company. There are about 70 IT companies ahead of Red Hat
    listed on that index.

    Me, Jul 22, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Jul 23, 9:24 am, Me <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > > Just another indication of how, in the current downturn, as proprietary
    > > software companies suffer, open source continues to go from strength to
    > > strength <http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/07/20/who-is-the-next-red-hat/>..

    > Perhaps the real reason why Red Hat joined the S&P 500 has much more to
    > do with consolidation, bankruptcy, and loss of capital value in the
    > banking sector of the US than a ringing endorsement for a particular
    > software company. There are about 70 IT companies ahead of Red Hat
    > listed on that index.

    Yes - I think a few confounding variables are conveniently being
    ignored.

    Simon, Jul 22, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Just another indication of how, in the current downturn, as proprietary
    >> software companies suffer, open source continues to go from strength to
    >> strength <http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/07/20/who-is-the-next-red-hat/>.
    >>

    > Perhaps the real reason why Red Hat joined the S&P 500 has much more to do
    > with consolidation, bankruptcy, and loss of capital value in the banking
    > sector of the US than a ringing endorsement for a particular software
    > company. There are about 70 IT companies ahead of Red Hat listed on that

    Yes. The S&P 500 is not like the Fortune 500. It's not a list of the 500
    most successful companies but rather a representative sample of *all**
    publicly traded companies in the US. From this list, S&P calculates a daily
    performance index based on changes in share price. RedHat was added to
    replace CTI, a recent bank failure whose total market capitalization dropped
    below S&P's minimum.

    impossible, Jul 22, 2009
  5. In article <h4802a$bms$>, Me <> wrote:
    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Just another indication of how, in the current downturn, as proprietary
    >> software companies suffer, open source continues to go from strength to
    >> strength <http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/07/20/who-is-the-next-red-hat/>.
    >>

    >Perhaps the real reason why Red Hat joined the S&P 500 has much more to
    >do with consolidation, bankruptcy, and loss of capital value in the
    >banking sector of the US than a ringing endorsement for a particular
    >software company. There are about 70 IT companies ahead of Red Hat
    >listed on that index.

    All I ask is that redhat stop spamming me. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 22, 2009
  6. In message <h4802a$bms$>, Me wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Just another indication of how, in the current downturn, as proprietary
    >> software companies suffer, open source continues to go from strength to
    >> strength <http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/07/20/who-is-the-next-red-hat/>.
    >>

    > Perhaps the real reason why Red Hat joined the S&P 500 has much more to
    > do with consolidation, bankruptcy, and loss of capital value in the
    > banking sector of the US than a ringing endorsement for a particular
    > software company. There are about 70 IT companies ahead of Red Hat
    > listed on that index.

    So what? It's still underlines the fact that, in the middle of the downturn,
    which has also been affecting proprietary software companies, open-source
    business continues to thrive and grow. That's the point.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 23, 2009
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-07-23, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <h4802a$bms$>, Me wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>> Just another indication of how, in the current downturn, as proprietary
    >>> software companies suffer, open source continues to go from strength to
    >>> strength <http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/07/20/who-is-the-next-red-hat/>.
    >>>

    >> Perhaps the real reason why Red Hat joined the S&P 500 has much more to
    >> do with consolidation, bankruptcy, and loss of capital value in the
    >> banking sector of the US than a ringing endorsement for a particular
    >> software company. There are about 70 IT companies ahead of Red Hat
    >> listed on that index.

    > So what? It's still underlines the fact that, in the middle of the downturn,
    > which has also been affecting proprietary software companies, open-source
    > business continues to thrive and grow. That's the point.

    Service companies will always be the last to fall in hard times. That and
    second hand shops.

    Gordon, Jul 23, 2009
  8. In message <>, Gordon wrote:

    > On 2009-07-23, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> It's still underlines the fact that, in the middle of the
    >> downturn, which has also been affecting proprietary software companies,
    >> open-source business continues to thrive and grow. That's the point.
    >>

    > Service companies will always be the last to fall in hard times.

    And yet we hear in the news today that Shell and Mobil may be wanting to get
    out of the service-station business. So so much for that theory.

    Whichever way you look at it, it's still down to Open Source.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 24, 2009
  9. In message <>, whoisthis wrote:

    > Apple has been doing well too ...

    Not so well. They had to lay off staff, and Mac sales are down. Looks like
    they got rid of the "Computer" from their name just in time...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 24, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    David Empson Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In message <>, whoisthis wrote:
    >
    > > Apple has been doing well too ...

    > Not so well. They had to lay off staff,

    Cite?

    > and Mac sales are down.

    The best non-holiday quarter ever in unit sales and a 4% increase in
    unit sales over the same quarter last year counts as "sales are down" in
    your world?

    Revenue is down 2%, so more Macs are being sold but the average price is
    lower. There have been price reductions on some models, and probably a
    trend to buying cheaper models generally.

    > Looks like they got rid of the "Computer" from their name just in time...

    In decreasing order of revenue:

    Mac notebooks
    iPhones
    iPods
    Mac desktops
    Other music products/services
    Software/services/other sales
    Perhipherals/other hardware

    <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/07/21/apple_profits_rise_15_on_
    sales_of_2_6m_macs_5_2m_iphones.html>

    <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/07/21/notes_of_interest_from_ap
    ples_q309_quarterly_conference_call.html>

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jul 24, 2009

    <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/economic-pinch-felt-in-apple-retail-with-10-staff-reduction.ars>

    >> and Mac sales are down.

    > The best non-holiday quarter ever in unit sales and a 4% increase in
    > unit sales over the same quarter last year counts as "sales are down" in
    > your world?

    Year-on-year, yes I believe so.

    > Revenue is down 2%, so more Macs are being sold but the average price is
    > lower. There have been price reductions on some models, and probably a
    > trend to buying cheaper models generally.

    Trouble is, Apple has never been good at doing low-margin products.

    > In decreasing order of revenue:
    >
    > Mac notebooks
    > iPhones
    > iPods
    > Mac desktops

    Wonder how long notebooks will stay up there, with the trend to customers
    buying cheaper models? The only segment of the PC market still growing is
    netbooks. But Apple has no netbook.

    Looks like iPods are no longer the new hotness--that torch has passed to
    the iPhone.

    > <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/07/21/apple_profits_rise_15_on_sales_of_2_6m_macs_5_2m_iphones.html>
    >
    > <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/07/21/notes_of_interest_from_apples_q309_quarterly_conference_call.html>

    Fixed those links for you.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 25, 2009
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    David Empson Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In message <1j3dike.l29izobrvhjN%>, David Empson wrote:
    >
    > > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > >> Not so well. They had to lay off staff,

    > > Cite?

    > <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/economic-pinch-felt-in-apple-retail
    > -with-10-staff-reduction.ars>

    That is reporting results for the previous quarter ending March 2009.

    During that quarter, Apple had a 3% decline in Mac sales compared to the
    year-ago quarter. That is only quarter in the last few years in which
    Apple have reported a drop in Mac sales.

    The latest quarter ending June has a 4% increase compared to the
    year-ago quarter, and the two previous quarters had increases of 9%
    (December) and 21% (September).

    > >> and Mac sales are down.

    > > The best non-holiday quarter ever in unit sales and a 4% increase in
    > > unit sales over the same quarter last year counts as "sales are down" in
    > > your world?

    > Year-on-year, yes I believe so.

    Definitely not. One bad quarter in a recession doesn't mean Apple is on
    the decline. Especially if you compare it to the market average for
    computer sales.

    > > Revenue is down 2%, so more Macs are being sold but the average price is
    > > lower. There have been price reductions on some models, and probably a
    > > trend to buying cheaper models generally.

    > Trouble is, Apple has never been good at doing low-margin products.

    They don't need to. "Cheaper" Macs can still be relatively expensive.

    In the latest quarter, Apple reduced the prices on some of their most
    expensive notebook models by as much as US$700 (top end MacBook Air).

    They introduced a 13" MacBook Pro and a cheaper 15" model, and six weeks
    after release, those models are showing lead times of 7 days on the
    Apple store - they are selling so fast that Apple can't hold any in
    stock.

    Their cheapest notebook is the US$999 MacBook, and it is being passed
    over in favour of the US$1199 MacBook Pro.

    (NZ prices aren't directly comparable due to exchange rate changes,
    which reduced the impact of the price cuts.)

    > > In decreasing order of revenue:
    > >
    > > Mac notebooks
    > > iPhones
    > > iPods
    > > Mac desktops

    > Wonder how long notebooks will stay up there, with the trend to customers
    > buying cheaper models?

    Apple's notebook sales are steadily increasing. Desktop sales are flat,
    increasing in some quarters and declining in others. This pattern has
    been continuing for several years.

    In the last quarter Apple sold more than twice as many notebooks as
    desktops, partly because there was a new series of notebooks but the
    desktops were last updated in March.

    > The only segment of the PC market still growing is netbooks. But Apple has
    > no netbook.

    Apple doesn't care. They are doing just fine staying out of low margin
    products.

    > Looks like iPods are no longer the new hotness--that torch has passed to
    > the iPhone.

    Indeed.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Jul 25, 2009
  13. In message <1j3eypn.2mersttiaxciN%>, David Empson
    wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> Looks like iPods are no longer the new hotness--that torch has passed to
    >> the iPhone.

    > Indeed.

    Something I didn't know--the latest NZ PC World reports that Android has
    already managed to equal the iPhone's market share. Surprising for something
    that's only been on the market for a fraction of the time, don't you think.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 29, 2009
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    David Empson Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In message <1j3eypn.2mersttiaxciN%>, David Empson
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Looks like iPods are no longer the new hotness--that torch has passed to
    > >> the iPhone.

    > > Indeed.

    > Something I didn't know--the latest NZ PC World reports that Android has
    > already managed to equal the iPhone's market share.

    No, it hasn't.

    It managed to match the iPhone's market share as at the same point in
    time relative to the launch of both products, at least for the first six
    months.

    <http://blogs.computerworld.com/android_iphone_apple_google_market_share
    _web_share_safari_chrome>

    <http://marketshare.hitslink.com/mobile-phones.aspx?qprid=62&sample=33>