    In an interview with Reuters, Szulik declined to say whether his company is
    now in negotiations with Microsoft over signing such a patent agreement.

    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10449127

    Mickey Mouse, Jul 3, 2007

  2. Mickey Mouse

    sam Guest

    Re: Red Hat in patent negotiations with Microsoft LOL NOT !!!

    sam, Jul 3, 2007

  3. Re: Red Hat in interoperability discussions with Microsoft

    Red Hat has previously made it clear that it is willing to improve
    interoperability between Microsoft products and the Free World, but it is
    certainly not willing to give any legitimacy to Microsoft's patent claims.

    See, for example, this Microsoft Watch item
    <http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/corporate/the_reason_for_all_these_patent_deals.html>:

    Before Microsoft and Novell made their historic pact last November,
    apparently Red Hat talked agreement, too. But the Microsoft-Novell deal
    collapsed over patent licensing. Novell wanted to talk interoperability
    —and still does—but Microsoft wouldn't deal without a patent agreement,
    too.

    (I wonder if "Novell" shouldn't be "Red Hat" in the sentences after the
    first.) And:

    If Microsoft were truly serious about interoperability, an agreement
    with Red Hat should be possible independent of any patent deal.
    Microsoft's unwillingness to separate the two issues means that:

    * Interoperability is not Microsoft's main motivation for cutting
    these deals, contrary to the company's incessant PR blathering.

    * Cross-licensing of patents are paramount to Microsoft when making
    these agreements.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 4, 2007