    on the desktop so i dont have to waiste so much time.
    Any help?
    Thanks

    dave fucko, Oct 27, 2003

  2. dave fucko

    Boomer Guest

    "dave fucko" <> wrote in
    news::

    > Got a problem here i cant figure out wondering if someone could
    > help. I have a linux machine but for some reason from the min i
    > installed it it had not icons.
    > Does anyone know how to active the desktop icons?
    > I dont mind running the codes to get my files but i would like to
    > have them on the desktop so i dont have to waiste so much time.
    > Any help?
    > Thanks

    Have you asked at one of these groups?

    redhat.general
    linux.redhat.*

    Boomer, Oct 27, 2003

  3. dave fucko wrote:

    > Got a problem here i cant figure out wondering if someone could help.
    > I have a linux machine but for some reason from the min i installed it it
    > had not icons.
    > Does anyone know how to active the desktop icons?
    > I dont mind running the codes to get my files but i would like to have
    > them on the desktop so i dont have to waiste so much time.
    > Any help?
    > Thanks

    The other advice to ask in the Linux groups is good.
    However, to get you started, in Linux you either create your own desktop
    icons or create/use menu entries. How you do that depends on which window
    manager you are using.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

    Gary G. Taylor, Oct 28, 2003
  4. On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:45:51 -0500, B. Al. Zeebub read and pondered :

    > Got a problem here i cant figure out wondering if someone could help.
    > I have a linux machine but for some reason from the min i installed it it
    > had not icons.
    > Does anyone know how to active the desktop icons?
    > I dont mind running the codes to get my files but i would like to have them
    > on the desktop so i dont have to waiste so much time.
    > Any help?
    > Thanks

    Right click on desktop: create launcher. Name it. Select Type from the
    dropdown menu. In Command fill in the path. What's the problem? Couldn't
    be easier. Now go download Gnome 2.4 and read this:

    http://www.gnome.org/learn/users-guide/2.4/

    ....and have fun with it.

    B.

    B. Al. Zeebub, Oct 28, 2003
  5. dave fucko

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:45:51 -0500, "dave fucko" <>,wrote:

    >Got a problem here i cant figure out wondering if someone could help.
    >I have a linux machine but for some reason from the min i installed it it
    >had not icons.
    >Does anyone know how to active the desktop icons?
    >I dont mind running the codes to get my files but i would like to have them
    >on the desktop so i dont have to waiste so much time.
    >Any help?
    >Thanks

    Uhh you have no icons on your desktop? Or no desktop? You don't need to
    activate any icons in any build or flavor of Linux I've ever installed. If you
    just have a command line, try typing startx and hit the return key.

    Meat-->Plow, Oct 28, 2003
  6. dave fucko

    dave fucko Guest

    NA, its running, its been running everthing is cool. Just missing the actual
    icons for the home directory, trash can and all that good stuff. and i can
    create new ones on it either. its like there is a block on the icons on the
    desktop

    dave fucko, Oct 28, 2003