    digital camera-Olympus c-740-so this is all new to me.Thanks for any help
    offered.
    Dan

    Dan, Dec 8, 2003

  2. Dan

    Randy Guest

    Red ey is the problem of all cameras when the lens and flash are very
    close to each other. If you have noticed that at weddings or even sport
    events the pro's use a bracket to get the strobe away from the lens.
    If you get it above the lense about 6-8 inches the flash the flash
    enters the eye at an angle and bounces back below the lens. Therefore
    no red eye. Software is more of a painting technique and some are
    better than others. I use Photoshop 7.0 with the patch tool and some
    other goodies when I need to cover something up though.

    Randy

    Randy, Dec 8, 2003

  3. Randy <> writes:

    > Red ey is the problem of all cameras when the lens and flash are very close
    > to each other. If you have noticed that at weddings or even sport events the
    > pro's use a bracket to get the strobe away from the lens. If you get it above
    > the lense about 6-8 inches the flash the flash enters the eye at an angle and
    > bounces back below the lens. Therefore no red eye.

    It depends on the distance to the subject as well as the distance of the flash
    to the lens. I was shooting a group at 40 feet, and only had the flash 1 foot
    or so above the lens, and got red eye when the people faced me. I forgot to at
    least raise the flash to the 2.5 feet away from the lens that my bracket
    allowed, but I'm not sure that would have been enough. The rule of thumb is
    the flash should be at least 1/12 as far away from the lens as the subject is
    to the lens (I suspect this rule of thumb came from Americans uses to inches
    and feet, and the actual value may be something other than 1/12, but it is easy
    to remember).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Dec 8, 2003
  4. On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:25:14 GMT, "Dan" <> wrote:

    >Could someone recommend a free or inexpensive program that does a good job
    >of correcting red eye problems. I have been using Irfanview and Adobe Photo

    It is pretty much hit-or-miss on red eye when using software to correct it. I
    have played around with both Paint Shop Pro 8 and PhotoImpact XL. I seem to get
    better results with Paint Shop Pro, but PhotoImpact seems to have a little
    easier interface.

    Kerry Sanders, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Dan

    Bob Thomas Guest

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 23:30:13 -0600, Kerry Sanders
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 00:25:14 GMT, "Dan" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Could someone recommend a free or inexpensive program that does a good job
    >>of correcting red eye problems. I have been using Irfanview and Adobe Photo

    >It is pretty much hit-or-miss on red eye when using software to correct it. I
    >have played around with both Paint Shop Pro 8 and PhotoImpact XL. I seem to get
    >better results with Paint Shop Pro, but PhotoImpact seems to have a little
    >easier interface.

    I guess none of these options helps answer the "cheap" option - but I
    have to admit that the best red-eye tool I have found is in PSP8. It's
    brilliant.

    Bob T.

    Bob Thomas, Dec 8, 2003
  6. "Dan" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Could someone recommend a free or inexpensive program that does a good job
    > of correcting red eye problems. I have been using Irfanview and Adobe

    Photo
    > Deluxe Home Edition 4.0. I'm just not able to get good results with either
    > of these.Is there some trick to getting rid of red eyes? I just got my

    first
    > digital camera-Olympus c-740-so this is all new to me.Thanks for any help
    > offered.
    > Dan

    Kodak Easy Share (free from www.kodak.com) can do it. But I greatly prefer
    Paint Shop Pro for image editing in general.. Try the free trial version
    from www.jasc.com. Be prepared to adjust settings in the red eye screen to
    get the best results.

    Marvin Margoshes, Dec 8, 2003
  7. I use the clone tool in Photoshop 6.0 or Photoshop 4.0. I zoom close into
    the eye, and using the clone tool, I alter the color of the eye to a dark
    solid color. Then, with the clone tool, I add a small light or white spot
    in the center of the eye ( half dozen pixels or so) where the pupil is. Of
    course, do this for both eyes. This results in a pretty natural look and
    the light spot appears to be a reflection of light from the room. The few
    times I tried some red eye correction software did not work out too well.

    Dave C.

    Dave Cardarelli, Dec 8, 2003
  8. I meant to mention, I think your Adobe Home Edition 4.0 also has a clone
    tool to do this.

    Dave C.

    Dave Cardarelli, Dec 9, 2003
  9. Dan

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Marvin Margoshes <> wrote:

    >"Dan" <> wrote in message news:...
    >> Could someone recommend a free or inexpensive program that does a good job
    >> of correcting red eye problems.

    >Kodak Easy Share (free from www.kodak.com) can do it. But I greatly prefer
    >Paint Shop Pro for image editing in general..

    I have no interest in editing my pictures. And I'm only interested in red
    eye now that I bought this little Kyocera Finecam and made the mistake of
    taking flash pictures with it. So I downloaded the Easy Share. The first
    thing it did was to catalog all 7257 pictures it found on my hard disk.
    Then I opened it up. It displayed them in a long list. All of my folder and
    file names were not displayed. Just a long, long list of thumbnails!! Only
    sortable by date.

    So I tried the red eye feature on one picture. It was useless. It only
    finds some of the red. Clicking the mouse multiple times found all the red
    in one eye, but in the second, despite my clicking all over the eye, it
    left much of the red. So I closed the program and came to write this. But
    it has done something to my PC to make it extremely sluggish. I am having
    great difficulty writing this post. Let me go delete it. Well, first I shut
    it down from the icon in the tray. Still sluggish! I removed it. Still
    sluggish. I booted. Now it is back to normal. I can't recommend this
    software if you have a lot of pictures. Nor can I recommend it for red eye.

    Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

    Don Wiss, Dec 21, 2003