    Reply to:
    Lycos address is a spam trap.

    , Dec 25, 2003

  2. HRosita Guest

    Hi Wes,

    One tip that a professional photographer gave me was to have the subject look
    just a little to the left or to the right of the camera lens. I tell the people
    that I photograph to look at my ear. That helps alot.

    I would invest in Photoshops Elements 2.
    It is an excellent program and can be found with rebates or online. It has a
    special brush for editing red-eye but also other option. There are also quite a
    few tutorials online.

    Speaking of tutorials, maybe a Google search for tutorials for Gimp might
    result in a solution.
    Rosita

    HRosita, Dec 25, 2003

  3. PreFlash is only one method of reducing red eye at the time of the
    exposure. First anything that will get light to the subjects eyes will
    help. Having them look away from the camera also helps.

    Having them look to the side at a light or window can be very helpful.

    I don't know GIMP so I don't know its abilities. However most Graphic
    programs seem to have some sort of red eye feature. Some are better than
    others. While they all help, none are really better than correction at the
    source. Of course there are times that correction at the time of the
    exposure is not always an option.

    Merry Christmas

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Dec 25, 2003
  4. Don Stauffer Guest

    If your software doesn't have an automatic red eye removal it is not
    hard to do if the software allows region selection and color correction
    by hue, saturation, and brightness.

    Blow up face with zoom/magnifier. Use a circular selection to select
    one pupil. Select ONLY the pupil, not the surrounding iris. Now adjust
    saturation to zero (-100% in some software). This technique saves
    highlights. Now do other pupil.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Dec 25, 2003
  5. Phil Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 07:46:58 -0500, wrote:

    >I have a cheapy Sony DSC P32 and when I turn on red eye reduction, it
    >seems to work but the pre flashing stuff adds a delay to capturing
    >many pictures so the cure is worse than the problem.
    >
    >What are common methods of dealing with red eye post capture? The
    >only graphics program I have at this time is GIMP.
    >
    >I'd like to grab some candid pics this after noon with the family so
    >I'm hoping someone has a plan for dealing with red eye.
    >
    >Tia,
    >
    >Wes

    One of the problems in dealing with redeye is that the condition takes
    many forms, sometimes involving just the pupil of the eye, and
    sometimes appearing to involve the whole iris. And sometimes it's not
    red. That's why I doubt that many of these canned utilities & plugins
    can deal effectively with all cases.

    I usually just grab the ellipical marquee and select the red area,
    then desaturate moderately and darken to suit. If desired you can
    preserve the eye highlights by adjusting curves or levels for
    darkening.

    Phil, Dec 25, 2003
  6. Jim Townsend Guest

    wrote:

    > I have a cheapy Sony DSC P32 and when I turn on red eye reduction, it
    > seems to work but the pre flashing stuff adds a delay to capturing
    > many pictures so the cure is worse than the problem.
    >
    > What are common methods of dealing with red eye post capture? The
    > only graphics program I have at this time is GIMP.
    >
    > I'd like to grab some candid pics this after noon with the family so
    > I'm hoping someone has a plan for dealing with red eye.

    With the GIMP, you can remove redeye with the clone tool.

    Zoom in on the pupil to 400% or more.. (until the eye fills the screen).

    Use the clone tool to select the non-red part of they eye and clone out the red
    area. You'll have to adjust the brush size. It's not as easy as having a
    canned redeye removal tool, but with a bit of practice, you can get it to
    work.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 25, 2003
  7. Carver33 Guest

    On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 07:46:58 -0500, wrote:

    >I have a cheapy Sony DSC P32 and when I turn on red eye reduction, it
    >seems to work but the pre flashing stuff adds a delay to capturing
    >many pictures so the cure is worse than the problem.
    >
    >What are common methods of dealing with red eye post capture? The
    >only graphics program I have at this time is GIMP.
    >
    >I'd like to grab some candid pics this after noon with the family so
    >I'm hoping someone has a plan for dealing with red eye.
    >
    >Tia,
    >
    >Wes

    Try Photo-Brush at: http://www.mediachance.com/pbrush/

    Has a nice red eye reduction brush. I believe you can download a free
    trial and the purchase price is extremely reasonable for the features
    (< $50.00)

    HTH
    Bill

    Carver33, Dec 25, 2003