Red Drool

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Evad Remlu, Nov 13, 2008.

  1. Evad Remlu

    Evad Remlu Guest

    Evad Remlu, Nov 13, 2008

  2. Evad Remlu

    Evad Remlu Guest

    Evad Remlu, Nov 13, 2008

  3. Evad Remlu

    Me Here Guest

    "Evad Remlu" <> wrote in message
    news:gfh6s0$bvh$-september.org...
    > Red cameras?
    >
    > See:
    > http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/13/more-red-scarlet-and-epic-pics-sure-to-induce-drool/
    >
    > I love to see an American company trash the camera status quo.
    >
    > Enjoy!
    >
    > ER

    Hmmmm, a year until delivery, USD $12,000 for a 24 mp non-dSLR body in
    either Nikon or Canon mount. Note that does NOT include the EVF, it's just
    the sensor module. But add the EVF ($3K) the battery ($450), the CF Module
    ($500) to the recorder and the I/O module (no price found)

    So for about USD $20K you have a big bulky 24x36mm 24 megapixel with no
    lens. The unti is around the size of a Mamiya RZ67, and looks cumbersome to
    use.

    AND IT IS NOT A dSLR!

    Me Here, Nov 13, 2008
  4. Evad Remlu

    RichA Guest

    On Nov 13, 10:56 am, "Me Here" <> wrote:
    > "Evad Remlu" <> wrote in message
    >
    > news:gfh6s0$bvh$-september.org...> Red cameras?
    >
    > > See:
    > >http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/13/more-red-scarlet-and-epic-pics-sur...

    > > I love to see an American company trash the camera status quo.

    > > Enjoy!

    > > ER

    > Hmmmm, a year until delivery, USD $12,000 for a 24 mp non-dSLR body in
    > either Nikon or Canon mount. Note that does NOT include the EVF, it's just
    > the sensor module. But add the EVF ($3K) the battery ($450), the CF Module
    > ($500) to the recorder and the I/O module (no price found)
    >
    > So for about USD $20K you have a big bulky 24x36mm 24 megapixel with no
    > lens. The unti is around the size of a Mamiya RZ67, and looks cumbersome to
    > use.
    >
    > AND IT IS NOT A dSLR!

    Oh dear! Not a DSLR! How will they ever manage to use it? I love
    the way new designs scare the F--- out of the shambling old SLR
    brigade.
    "I remember, I think it was 1962, I got my first Nikon, cough, cough,
    we used 200 ASA Tri-X and were GLAD to have it!" Hack, cough.

    RichA, Nov 13, 2008
  5. Evad Remlu

    Me Here Guest

    "RichA" <> wrote in message
    > On Nov 13, 10:56 am, "Me Here" <> wrote:
    >> "Evad Remlu" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> news:gfh6s0$bvh$-september.org...> Red cameras?
    >>
    >> > See:
    >> >http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/13/more-red-scarlet-and-epic-pics-sur...

    >> > I love to see an American company trash the camera status quo.

    >> > Enjoy!

    >> > ER

    >> Hmmmm, a year until delivery, USD $12,000 for a 24 mp non-dSLR body in
    >> either Nikon or Canon mount. Note that does NOT include the EVF, it's
    >> just
    >> the sensor module. But add the EVF ($3K) the battery ($450), the CF
    >> Module
    >> ($500) to the recorder and the I/O module (no price found)
    >>
    >> So for about USD $20K you have a big bulky 24x36mm 24 megapixel with no
    >> lens. The unti is around the size of a Mamiya RZ67, and looks cumbersome
    >> use.
    >>
    >> AND IT IS NOT A dSLR!

    > Oh dear! Not a DSLR! How will they ever manage to use it? I love
    > the way new designs scare the F--- out of the shambling old SLR
    > brigade.
    >
    > "I remember, I think it was 1962, I got my first Nikon, cough, cough,
    > we used 200 ASA Tri-X and were GLAD to have it!" Hack, cough.

    It's pricy, big, bulky, and heavy. It's a modular system that doesn't seem
    designed for ease of use. Canon 5D mk.II and the Sony A900 pretty well beat
    it in ergonomics. The Leica S2 has it beat in resolution, and in glass. The
    Leica, Canon and Sony are self-contained cameras...

    Me Here, Nov 13, 2008
  6. Evad Remlu

    Rich Guest

    On Nov 13, 2:12 pm, "Me Here" <> wrote:
    > "RichA" <> wrote in message

    > > On Nov 13, 10:56 am, "Me Here" <> wrote:
    > >> "Evad Remlu" <> wrote in message

    > >>news:gfh6s0$bvh$-september.org...> Red cameras?

    > >> Hmmmm, a year until delivery, USD $12,000 for a 24 mp non-dSLR body in
    > >> either Nikon or Canon mount. Note that does NOT include the EVF, it's
    > >> just
    > >> the sensor module. But add the EVF ($3K) the battery ($450), the CF
    > >> Module
    > >> ($500) to the recorder and the I/O module (no price found)

    > >> So for about USD $20K you have a big bulky 24x36mm 24 megapixel with no
    > >> lens. The unti is around the size of a Mamiya RZ67, and looks cumbersome
    > >> use.

    > >> AND IT IS NOT A dSLR!

    > > Oh dear! Not a DSLR! How will they ever manage to use it? I love
    > > the way new designs scare the F--- out of the shambling old SLR
    > > brigade.

    > > "I remember, I think it was 1962, I got my first Nikon, cough, cough,
    > > we used 200 ASA Tri-X and were GLAD to have it!" Hack, cough.

    > It's pricy, big, bulky, and heavy. It's a modular system that doesn't seem
    > designed for ease of use. Canon 5D mk.II and the Sony A900 pretty well beat
    > it in ergonomics. The Leica S2 has it beat in resolution, and in glass. The
    > Leica, Canon and Sony are self-contained cameras...

    Most of that is personal opinion, I'd like to see a test on Red glass
    though.

    Rich, Nov 13, 2008
  7. Evad Remlu

    Me Here Guest

    "Rich" <> wrote in message
    > On Nov 13, 2:12 pm, "Me Here" <> wrote:
    >> "RichA" <> wrote in message

    >> > Oh dear! Not a DSLR! How will they ever manage to use it? I love
    >> > the way new designs scare the F--- out of the shambling old SLR
    >> > brigade.

    >> > "I remember, I think it was 1962, I got my first Nikon, cough, cough,
    >> > we used 200 ASA Tri-X and were GLAD to have it!" Hack, cough.

    >> It's pricy, big, bulky, and heavy. It's a modular system that doesn't
    >> seem
    >> designed for ease of use. Canon 5D mk.II and the Sony A900 pretty well
    >> beat
    >> it in ergonomics. The Leica S2 has it beat in resolution, and in glass.
    >> The
    >> Leica, Canon and Sony are self-contained cameras...

    > Most of that is personal opinion, I'd like to see a test on Red glass
    > though.

    Red makes this item with Nikon or Canon mount, they have a small number of
    cine lenses listed on their website. What part of big, bulky is personal
    opinion? Look at the specs, look at the camera.

    Me Here, Nov 13, 2008
  8. Evad Remlu

    Rich Guest

    On Nov 13, 4:18 pm, "Me Here" <> wrote:
    > "Rich" <> wrote in message

    > > On Nov 13, 2:12 pm, "Me Here" <> wrote:
    > >> "RichA" <> wrote in message

    > >> It's pricy, big, bulky, and heavy. It's a modular system that doesn't
    > >> seem
    > >> designed for ease of use. Canon 5D mk.II and the Sony A900 pretty well
    > >> beat
    > >> it in ergonomics. The Leica S2 has it beat in resolution, and in glass.
    > >> The
    > >> Leica, Canon and Sony are self-contained cameras...

    > > Most of that is personal opinion, I'd like to see a test on Red glass
    > > though.

    > Red makes this item with Nikon or Canon mount, they have a small number of
    > cine lenses listed on their website. What part of big, bulky is personal
    > opinion? Look at the specs, look at the camera.

    You might have a point, it looks like some pros may be reconsidering
    the need for sheer mass with the advent of smaller, "near pro" cameras
    like the Nikon D700.

    Rich, Nov 13, 2008
  9. Evad Remlu

    Evad Remlu Guest

    I think the coolest thing about Red cameras is their price when compared to
    their competition Panavision.

    It costs around $15,000 per month to rent a Panavision film camera. You
    apparently can't buy them. The cost and workflow with film processing is
    also quite expensive.

    Most movies are still shot in Panavision but Red is on the way!

    ER

    Evad Remlu, Nov 14, 2008
  10. Evad Remlu

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Nov 13, 10:56 am, "Me Here" <> wrote:

    > So for about USD $20K you have a big bulky 24x36mm 24 megapixel with no
    > lens.

    You forgot one little feature ..... 100 fps.

    Annika1980, Nov 15, 2008
  11. Evad Remlu

    Paul Furman Guest

    David J. Littleboy wrote:
    > ...It's a movie camera that happens to take stills, and as
    > such, will only be used by movie camera types.
    >
    > The 5DII, as a still camera that happens to take movies, will be more of a
    > threat to Red than Red is to even MF digital, since the 5DII coughs up as
    > good video quality as can be used outside a theater and is lighter and a lot
    > cheaper than Red.

    It might be popular with pro sport photogs for the high frame rate.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Nov 16, 2008