Recycle Bin sort order

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John Dean, May 2, 2007.

  1. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    Running Windows XP Home SP2.
    I want Recycle Bin to sort files into name order but it won't do so. This
    isn't to do with the weird way XP handles file names, it's something quite
    different. I check "List" on the "View" menu and "Arrange Icons by ... name"
    on the menu and they arrange themselves as required - so the first file in
    the list is

    [uk_misc ... .txt

    and the last is

    Zodiac ... .jpg

    All correct there (the square bracket is part of the name of the first file)

    I close Recycle Bin and reopen and both those files have migrated to the
    body of the list. Now the first file is

    alt.fan ....bak

    (the second is Urban ... .mht)

    And the last file is now

    tuph ... .jpg

    But the menu still shows that "View by list" and "Arrange Icons by ... name"
    are checked.

    It's annoying because I sometimes want to go into the Recycle Bin to
    retrieve a file and I want to find it by name in the list. So how can I get
    the files to stay sorted in alphanumeric order?
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford
    John Dean, May 2, 2007

  2. John Dean

    Guest

    "John Dean" <> wrote:

    >It's annoying because I sometimes want to go into the Recycle Bin to
    >retrieve a file and I want to find it by name in the list. So how can I get
    >the files to stay sorted in alphanumeric order?

    Recycle is just another explorer window; to change it without third
    party help, you need to change all your explorer windows behavior.

    Recycle window, set it up the way you want, then under Tools > Folder
    Options > View - select apply to all folders.
    --
    Digg.com hacks itself
    http://tinyurl.com/yogmrz

  3. John Dean

    Jan B Guest

    "John Dean" <> schreef in bericht
    > Running Windows XP Home SP2.
    > I want Recycle Bin to sort files into name order but it won't do so.
    > This isn't to do with the weird way XP handles file names, it's
    > something quite different. I check "List" on the "View" menu and
    > "Arrange Icons by ... name" on the menu and they arrange themselves
    > as required - so the first file in the list is
    > <CUT>
    > It's annoying because I sometimes want to go into the Recycle Bin to
    > retrieve a file and I want to find it by name in the list. So how
    > can I get the files to stay sorted in alphanumeric order?
    > --
    > John Dean
    > Oxford

    The recycle bin is a special explorer window. It is always sorted on
    date and time of entry into it.
    When you are looking at it, you can temporarily sort it other
    sequences.
    --
    Kind Regards,
    Jan B.
    Jan B, May 2, 2007
  4. John Dean

    Guest

    "Jan B" <jan.brul NO @ xs4 SPAM all.nl> wrote:

    >The recycle bin is a special explorer window. It is always sorted on
    >date and time of entry into it.
    >When you are looking at it, you can temporarily sort it other
    >sequences.

    Tools > Folder Options > View - select apply to all folders.

    Works on the recycle bin to sort by name, as much as I hated to I
    tested it out.

    Alpha sort, out of date order even after a reboot.
    --
    http://www.onahorse.com/
    , May 2, 2007
  5. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    Jan B wrote:
    > "John Dean" <> schreef in bericht
    >> Running Windows XP Home SP2.
    >> I want Recycle Bin to sort files into name order but it won't do so.
    >> This isn't to do with the weird way XP handles file names, it's
    >> something quite different. I check "List" on the "View" menu and
    >> "Arrange Icons by ... name" on the menu and they arrange themselves
    >> as required - so the first file in the list is
    >> <CUT>
    >> It's annoying because I sometimes want to go into the Recycle Bin to
    >> retrieve a file and I want to find it by name in the list. So how
    >> can I get the files to stay sorted in alphanumeric order?
    >> --

    > The recycle bin is a special explorer window. It is always sorted on
    > date and time of entry into it.
    > When you are looking at it, you can temporarily sort it other
    > sequences.

    Nope. I checked mine and the dates of deletion of the first four files are
    April 14, 16, 24 and 26. The dates of deletion of the last four files are
    all April 19. And scattered between these are files deleted on May 1 and May
    2 as well as 30 April and others. Whatever order I set while I'm looking in
    the window, that's what they revert to the instant I close it.
    I can't see any sequence logic in the way the files are ordered in my Bin -
    they're not in alphanumeric (forward or reverse), they're not by type (Word
    files are scattered throughout as are .jpgs and .mhts, They're not by date
    of deletion, original location, type or anything else.
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford
    John Dean, May 3, 2007
  6. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    wrote:
    > "Jan B" <jan.brul NO @ xs4 SPAM all.nl> wrote:
    >
    >> The recycle bin is a special explorer window. It is always sorted on
    >> date and time of entry into it.
    >> When you are looking at it, you can temporarily sort it other
    >> sequences.

    > Tools > Folder Options > View - select apply to all folders.
    >
    > Works on the recycle bin to sort by name, as much as I hated to I
    > tested it out.
    >
    > Alpha sort, out of date order even after a reboot.

    I may come to this before too long. But all my other windows are in alphanum
    order, exactly as I want them. And I recollect last time I used the "apply
    to all folders" command I got screwed up much worse than I am now. Thanks
    anyway.
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford
    John Dean, May 3, 2007
  7. John Dean

    Guest

    "John Dean" <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> "Jan B" <jan.brul NO @ xs4 SPAM all.nl> wrote:
    >>
    >>> The recycle bin is a special explorer window. It is always sorted on
    >>> date and time of entry into it.
    >>> When you are looking at it, you can temporarily sort it other
    >>> sequences.

    >> Tools > Folder Options > View - select apply to all folders.
    >>
    >> Works on the recycle bin to sort by name, as much as I hated to I
    >> tested it out.
    >>
    >> Alpha sort, out of date order even after a reboot.

    >I may come to this before too long. But all my other windows are in alphanum
    >order, exactly as I want them. And I recollect last time I used the "apply
    >to all folders" command I got screwed up much worse than I am now. Thanks
    >anyway.

    Ya, I hate testing good advice, it always hurts.

    Now my Recycle bin comes up sorted by name and not date.

    I have a third party program (PowerPro) rather than mess with the
    registry - whenever the recycle window shows up PowerPro sorts it by
    deletion date. painless.

    You can do the same thing with a macro.
    Google: keyboard macro

    Find one that can detect an open window and you won't have to hit any
    hot keys.

    --
    http://www.onahorse.com/
    , May 3, 2007
  8. John Dean

    Guest

    wrote:

    >You can do the same thing with a macro.
    >Google: keyboard macro

    To add.

    Open your Recycle window (really any explorer window)
    Hold down the ALT key then V then I then how you want it sorted -
    notice each option has a letter underlined that's the letter you would
    hit.

    So to sort by date in a Macro program you would you would sent
    <ALT>,V,I,D to the window.

    --
    Evil Ka
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=TvtzEgFBl3I
  9. John Dean

    John Dean Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> You can do the same thing with a macro.
    >> Google: keyboard macro

    > To add.
    >
    > Open your Recycle window (really any explorer window)
    > Hold down the ALT key then V then I then how you want it sorted -
    > notice each option has a letter underlined that's the letter you would
    > hit.
    >
    > So to sort by date in a Macro program you would you would sent
    > <ALT>,V,I,D to the window.

    That's probably my best bet. Thanks
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford
    John Dean, May 4, 2007
  10. John Dean

    Gem Guest

    > wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> You can do the same thing with a macro.
    >>> Google: keyboard macro

    >> To add.
    >>
    >> Open your Recycle window (really any explorer window)
    >> Hold down the ALT key then V then I then how you want it sorted -
    >> notice each option has a letter underlined that's the letter you would
    >> hit.
    >>
    >> So to sort by date in a Macro program you would you would sent
    >> <ALT>,V,I,D to the window.

    > That's probably my best bet. Thanks

    you can always just click the title of each column you have set up and
    it will sort that way too. :)
    Gem, May 5, 2007
  11. John Dean

    Guest

    Gem <> wrote:

    >>> So to sort by date in a Macro program you would you would sent
    >>> <ALT>,V,I,D to the window.

    >> That's probably my best bet. Thanks

    >you can always just click the title of each column you have set up and
    >it will sort that way too. :)

    Object of this exercise was for it to be sorted as needed when the
    window opens.

    Your suggestion requires <|Shudder|> eye hand coordination :)
    --
    whitney music box
    http://www.coverpop.com/whitney/index.php?var=v11
  12. John Dean

    Gem Guest

    >>> That's probably my best bet. Thanks

    >> you can always just click the title of each column you have set up and
    >> it will sort that way too. :)

    > Object of this exercise was for it to be sorted as needed when the
    > window opens.

    > Your suggestion requires <|Shudder|> eye hand coordination :)

    LOL most people are adept at such exercise ;)
    Gem, May 5, 2007