Recurring problem with Kodak DX3600

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by SP, Jul 31, 2004.

  1. SP

    SP Guest

    Wondering if someone has experienced the same frustrating problem...

    Sometimes when turning on the camera, either:

    - green LED blinks once or twice, but nothing else happens (lens
    doesn't come out, screen remains off);
    - camera starts normally (boots up, lens comes out), but when
    depressing the button to take a picture, the lens goes back in and the
    camera reboots (without having taken the picture);

    When this starts to happen, it will keep doing it for several on-off
    cycles. When it locks up, I usually need to bang it against the palm
    of my hand several times before it finally reacts. Sometimes I just
    give up and forget about taking the picture... very frustrating!

    This problem started to occur during last summer, while it was still
    on warranty. We sent it to Kodak Service and the work report mentions
    some work on the shutter. It has been working fine after, but this
    summer the problem is back again (the warranty, however, is long
    gone). I'm beginning to think it is somewhat weather-related, perhaps
    humidity.

    BTW, the batteries and memory card are NOT the problem. (I was able
    to take hundreds of pictures and movies with the same rechargeable
    batteries & memory card).

    Has anyone had the same kind of problem with a Kodak camera? Is there
    something I can do besides having it serviced, perhaps some
    lubrication?

    Any thoughts welcome.

    Serge
    SP, Jul 31, 2004

  2. SP

    Ron Hunter Guest

    SP wrote:
    > Wondering if someone has experienced the same frustrating problem...
    >
    > Sometimes when turning on the camera, either:
    >
    > - green LED blinks once or twice, but nothing else happens (lens
    > doesn't come out, screen remains off);
    > - camera starts normally (boots up, lens comes out), but when
    > depressing the button to take a picture, the lens goes back in and the
    > camera reboots (without having taken the picture);
    >
    > When this starts to happen, it will keep doing it for several on-off
    > cycles. When it locks up, I usually need to bang it against the palm
    > of my hand several times before it finally reacts. Sometimes I just
    > give up and forget about taking the picture... very frustrating!
    >
    > This problem started to occur during last summer, while it was still
    > on warranty. We sent it to Kodak Service and the work report mentions
    > some work on the shutter. It has been working fine after, but this
    > summer the problem is back again (the warranty, however, is long
    > gone). I'm beginning to think it is somewhat weather-related, perhaps
    > humidity.
    >
    > BTW, the batteries and memory card are NOT the problem. (I was able
    > to take hundreds of pictures and movies with the same rechargeable
    > batteries & memory card).
    >
    > Has anyone had the same kind of problem with a Kodak camera? Is there
    > something I can do besides having it serviced, perhaps some
    > lubrication?
    >
    > Any thoughts welcome.
    >
    > Serge

    I suspect some kind of problem with the contacts in the battery
    compartment. I never saw any such problem with my DX3600, but did have
    some problems with new NIMH batteries in the first few uses. You might
    check to see that nothing is preventing contact with the internal
    contact points.
    Ron Hunter, Jul 31, 2004

  3. SP

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings SP,

    Sorry to hear about your trouble.

    Although you can take pictures with the same battery and card, your camera
    may very well need attention. I wonder, however, if over time you have bent
    the connectors in the camera that engage the battery contacts. If they are
    not under the correct tension, then correct contact will not be made and
    therefore power may be interrupted.

    Also, have you tried using a new CRV3 Lithium battery? If not give it a try
    and see if it powers up your system correctly. Although the battery have
    worked well for you in the past, there may be something else going on with
    the charging? Let us know more if you try any of these options (new lithium
    battery and adjust contacts, plus cleaning the contacts).

    Talk to you soon, SP,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Aug 2, 2004