    managing partitions and filesystems. You can do it all from
    Knoppix's excellent graphical utilities, or from the command line.

    http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-knopx.html

    steve, Nov 10, 2003

  2. steve

    Evil Bastard Guest

    On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 16:37:14 +1300, steve wrote:

    > This article shows how to access a non-booting Linux system with a
    > Knoppix CD,...
    > http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-knopx.html

    Good on you for posting that.

    More and more people are realising that, amongst other things, Knoppix is
    the ultimate Linux rescue disk - even a very decent Windows rescue disk as
    well.

    For months, I've found knoppix to be a life saver. On those rare occasions
    when something's gone wrong, I've just booted off the Knoppix cd, mounted
    the disks, fixed whatever needed fixing. Reboot off hard disk. Problems
    gone.

    Cheers
    EB

    Evil Bastard, Nov 10, 2003

  3. steve

    steve Guest

    Evil Bastard allegedly said:

    > For months, I've found knoppix to be a life saver. On those rare occasions
    > when something's gone wrong, I've just booted off the Knoppix cd, mounted
    > the disks, fixed whatever needed fixing. Reboot off hard disk. Problems
    > gone.
    >
    > Cheers
    > EB

    Same here.....and he (Klaus Knopper) is coming out with new and improved
    versions faster than my monthly quota can cope with. :)

    I still don't have Knoppix 3.3.

    www.knoppix.org

    steve, Nov 10, 2003
  4. steve

    harry Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Evil Bastard allegedly said:

    > > For months, I've found knoppix to be a life saver. On those rare

    occasions
    > > when something's gone wrong, I've just booted off the Knoppix cd,

    mounted
    > > the disks, fixed whatever needed fixing. Reboot off hard disk. Problems
    > > gone.
    > >
    > > Cheers
    > > EB

    > Same here.....and he (Klaus Knopper) is coming out with new and improved
    > versions faster than my monthly quota can cope with. :)
    >
    > I still don't have Knoppix 3.3.
    >
    > www.knoppix.org

    The latest version has OpenOffice 1.1, and the tohd fromhd cheatcodes and a
    new installer, knoppix-installer instead of knx-hdinstall.
    It gives options for either a Debian install or a Knoppix CD image style
    install.
    It also detects and runs the correct drivers for most onboard sound
    chipsets.
    No winmodem support.
    The PXE terminal server is cool, I have a browser box on my network that is
    a P233 with just a boot floppy, no HD or CD and I've also been booting a Via
    EPIA ITX Mobo with it.
    It also supports Brooktree TV receiver cards, and there are several versions
    to run a diskless network client as a PVR player.
    Its always a good cheat when setting up Debian boxes to run Knoppix and have
    a look at what /etc/modules.conf settings it comes up with

    harry, Nov 10, 2003
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    harry allegedly said:

    > It also supports Brooktree TV receiver cards, and there are several
    > versions to run a diskless network client as a PVR player.
    > Its always a good cheat when setting up Debian boxes to run Knoppix and
    > have a look at what /etc/modules.conf settings it comes up with

    I'm playing with MythTV on Gentoo....and I've had trouble getting the system
    to use the TV Card correctly.....I finally cracked it lasst night and
    haven't had time to finish off the set-up.

    When I'm done, anyone in the house will be able to program the PVR from
    their own MythTV frontend....and watch the shows they recorded on their own
    PCs.

    I'm not sure what happens if two or people want to watch different shows and
    try to record a show at the same time. RAID might help.

    I hope to find out.

    :)

    steve, Nov 10, 2003