    Gene Guest

    Any tool suggestions for recovering a Win 2K disk that was prematurely
    reimaged by gdisk?
    Gene, Dec 15, 2004

  2. Gene

    MF Guest

    does it have an undo?

    heh, sorry. otherwise, you're probably screwed without a previous backup.
    have a previous backup? you will next time, eh?

    yet otherwise, there are dozens of un-partition, and un-erase programs, some
    of which claim they can recover overwritten files. suggest you get the best
    and work down from there, but don't really know what the best one is. can
    tell you this: hook up another - bigger - hard drive and try to recover the
    whole disk to that.

    I had one such adventure, but the files were not overwritten. Norton system
    tools recovered about 25 percent of the deleted files; a freebie i found on
    the net recovered 98 percent of them.

    good luck

    mike

    MF, Dec 15, 2004

  3. Gene

    Gene Guest

    Actually trying to help someone else. Just got the machine today. The
    machine was gdisk'd to repartition it and then reimaged. The folks who
    had done this had backed up the files, but not realized there had been
    an application error while backing up the original data.

    Do you know the name of any of these programs which can recover
    overwritten files?

    Thanks

    Gene, Dec 17, 2004
  4. Gene

    JimWae± Guest

    Good luck after a reimaging -- I believe there are some million dollar
    machines that might recover 20% of the data

    JimWae±, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Gene

    MF Guest

    There's Easy Recovery Pro, File Scavenger, PC Inspector-File Recovery,
    PowerQuest's Lost and Found (didn't work well),, Fast File Recovery, and a
    couple of others whose names I can't locate.

    Again, the data I recovered had NOT been overwritten, but some of the
    programs *claim* they will recover overwritten files. But I think that's
    questionable, especially if you consider affordability. The one that worked
    for me was PC Inspector, if I recall correctly. But it doesn't claim to
    recover overwritten data. Search google for file recovery or data recovery
    or undelete programs. But if ghost wrote to the disk, you may be behind
    the eight ball, unless you have a back up.

    good luck

    MF, Dec 20, 2004
  6. Gene

    Gene Guest

    Thanks for the suggestions. I suspect my friends are SOL but I'll take
    the time and try each of these packages. Hopefully each will have a
    demo version which will display the recoverable files/folders. Then
    which ever one, if any, finds the lost files I'll be able to purchase
    the package.

    Gene

    Gene, Dec 21, 2004