    of XP or reinstall of XP drivers if there is a problem? Is the
    recovery disk as good as the orginal XP CD?

    TIA
    Edge, Jan 23, 2006

  2. Edge

    JD Guest

    Edge wrote:
    > I am looking to buy a used laptop with preload of Win XP with a COA.
    > These systems don't typically come with the original Win XP CD for a
    > reinstall in the event of catastrophic (ie HD) failure. Will creating
    > a recovery disk per Microsoft's instructions allow a complete reinstall
    > of XP or reinstall of XP drivers if there is a problem? Is the
    > recovery disk as good as the orginal XP CD?
    >
    > TIA

    If you make a recovery disk from the laptop in the condition it is in at
    the moment, you also copy any problems that are already on the computer.

    Do any of your friends have an original XP cd ?

    JD
    JD, Jan 23, 2006

  3. Edge

    Edge Guest

    The computer will be "tested" before sale, so I would assume there are
    no problems. I would make the recovery disk as soon as I start using
    it. Would the recovery disk reinstall the complete OS or would I need
    to contact MS.

    Unfortunately, everyone I know had an OEM install of XP, so no disk.
    Will MS send a disk if you request it and have a COA?

    Edge, Jan 24, 2006
  4. Edge

    JD Guest

    Edge wrote:
    > The computer will be "tested" before sale, so I would assume there are
    > no problems. I would make the recovery disk as soon as I start using
    > it. Would the recovery disk reinstall the complete OS or would I need
    > to contact MS.
    >
    > Unfortunately, everyone I know had an OEM install of XP, so no disk.
    > Will MS send a disk if you request it and have a COA?
    >

    >>If you make a recovery disk from the laptop in the condition it is in at
    >>the moment, you also copy any problems that are already on the computer.
    >>
    >>Do any of your friends have an original XP cd ?
    >>
    >>JD

    If you make a recovery image it should reinstall the whole operating system.

    As far as contacting MS that might work, however be aware that an OEM
    version has no warranty and is only valid for the computer it is
    installed on.

    JD
    JD, Jan 24, 2006