    motherboard.
    Now i need to reinstall windows. Would the recovery disk work?

    --

    computergeek3000, Nov 10, 2008

  2. computergeek3000

    caveat Guest

    "computergeek3000" <> wrote in message
    news:gf8hnr$fc6$...
    >I have a pc and i wan to reinstall windows on it.
    > I brought a hp pavillion but a couple of months ago i upgraded the
    > motherboard.
    > Now i need to reinstall windows. Would the recovery disk work?

    I don't know if the recovery disk will work, probably not.
    What I do know is that you do need to learn proper English, your post reads
    like a fourth grader wrote it.

    Chris

    caveat, Nov 10, 2008

  3. computergeek3000

    Paul Guest

    computergeek3000 wrote:
    > I have a pc and i wan to reinstall windows on it.
    > I brought a hp pavillion but a couple of months ago i upgraded the
    > motherboard.
    > Now i need to reinstall windows. Would the recovery disk work?

    A better place to ask, might be microsoft.public.windowsxp.general ,
    because you might find someone who deals with the various versions,
    and what works and doesn't work.

    Before you panic, if the system is still running, use this.

    http://magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

    This will extract the key used by HP at the factory. An article
    I just found (actually a comment in the comments section of the article),
    mentions that sometimes the key actually installed on the computer, is not
    the same as the COA sticker on the outside of the machine. So before
    you wipe anything, attempt to retrieve the key in the current install.

    See the posting "07-14-2008, 5:00 PM daculp" for comments.

    http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/1004403865/ShowPost.aspx

    This article discusses the many versions, but doesn't exactly give a
    recipe for dealing with your problem. The question I'd want to
    ask, would be whether the key on your computer, can be used
    with some other WinXP installer CD or not. If the thing that came
    with your computer is just a recovery image, then it may only be
    prepared to reinstall itself when it detects the original type
    of motherboard.

    http://www.infocellar.com/winxp/oem-recover-retail.htm

    When you look at the WinXP installer CD and the COA (key), the
    thing of value is the key, and not the media. If you can borrow the
    CD from someone, you may be able to build your own CD (burn a copy
    after editing some files), or if you're lucky, the existing key will
    work with the CD. Dealing with Activation, would be a separate issue.
    I don't know how Microsoft phone support, deals with a computer
    where the motherboard has been replaced with a non-exact
    replacement.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Nov 10, 2008
  4. computergeek3000

    John Holmes Guest

    computergeek3000 "contributed" in alt.computer:

    > I have a pc and i wan to reinstall windows on it.
    > I brought a hp pavillion but a couple of months ago i upgraded the
    > motherboard.
    > Now i need to reinstall windows. Would the recovery disk work?

    First step you have to take is to change your nickname. "computerN00B"
    would be more appropiate.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Nov 13, 2008