Recovery CD aborts after it formats the HD

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by corvus, Oct 5, 2003.

  1. corvus

    corvus Guest

    [This followup was posted to alt.certification.a-plus and a copy
    was sent to the cited author.]

    Hello all

    I am trying to reinstall Windows on an older machine. It is a
    Toshiba V3100 running Win98 2nd ed. The CD drive had been
    replaced some months ago (cat hair + CD = double-plus-ungood).

    The recovery cd will boot, format the HD, write the file
    allocation table, and then abort with an error message that
    says:
    "NO CD installation process aborted/failed"

    Poking around on the web and newsgroups has me pretty much
    convinced that changing the cd has confused the recovery cd.

    Do people agree with that? Is there any free/cheap way to work
    around this?

    Reinstalling the old CD is not an option, it was thrown out a
    few months ago.

    TIA

    corvus

    corvus, Oct 5, 2003

  2. corvus

    BobZilla Guest

    Just a quick thought here. You shouldn't have let it format if all you have
    is a recovery cd. The files are basically like an image file on the HD that
    the recovery cd uses to re-image the system. Now if you can get ahold of a
    full copy of win98 just copy the win98 directory to the HD with dos and run
    it from there with setup.exe. The actual Drive that you replaced would have
    nothing to do with this problem. I mean think of it, they would have to
    design software, each disk, to identify each hardware device no this is way
    to much overhead and besides machines today are designed to be repaired with
    FRU's (Field Replaceable Units). Good luck -------BZ

    BobZilla, Oct 6, 2003

  3. corvus

    efishta Guest

    > [This followup was posted to alt.certification.a-plus and a copy
    > was sent to the cited author.]
    >
    > Hello all
    >
    > I am trying to reinstall Windows on an older machine. It is a
    > Toshiba V3100 running Win98 2nd ed. The CD drive had been
    > replaced some months ago (cat hair + CD = double-plus-ungood).
    >
    > The recovery cd will boot, format the HD, write the file
    > allocation table, and then abort with an error message that
    > says:
    > "NO CD installation process aborted/failed"
    >
    > Poking around on the web and newsgroups has me pretty much
    > convinced that changing the cd has confused the recovery cd.
    >
    > Do people agree with that? Is there any free/cheap way to work
    > around this?
    >
    > Reinstalling the old CD is not an option, it was thrown out a
    > few months ago.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > corvus

    I dont' remember precise what error message I used to get when I tried to do
    the same thing to my old Hewlet Packard PC, but the only reason the restore
    CD has not worked was when I had partitioned the hard drive. In that case,
    The System Restore CD created a temporary D:\ RAMDrive in which it placed
    setup files and utilities, and since that drive letter was taken up by a
    partition, it would fail. (Bad programming on the part of HP, did they not
    foresee this I guess, so they hardcoded the drive letter, instead of making
    it automatic)

    So my only guess is that you may have partitioned the drive... or, you've
    got a physically damaged CD.

    efishta, Oct 7, 2003