Recovering USB thumb drive files

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, May 7, 2007.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
    her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
    called :)).

    I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
    it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling the
    device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the 'safely
    remove hardware' button.

    Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a one-
    off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost data?
    There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's pretty
    important stuff.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.
     
    Aardvark, May 7, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Aardvark

    SJP Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    news:4IH%h.7984$%...
    > My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
    > her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
    > called :)).
    >
    > I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
    > it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling the
    > device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the 'safely
    > remove hardware' button.
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a one-
    > off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost data?
    > There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's pretty
    > important stuff.
    >

    Try http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm
     
    SJP, May 7, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Aardvark

    olfart Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    news:4IH%h.7984$%...
    > My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
    > her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
    > called :)).
    >
    > I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
    > it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling the
    > device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the 'safely
    > remove hardware' button.
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a one-
    > off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost data?
    > There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's pretty
    > important stuff.
    >

    Always have a backup (second copy) of important data whether it is on a HD,
    Flash , or Optical Disc. If it's really important make 2 backups on
    different types of storage media. S--T happens to all forms of data storage.
     
    olfart, May 7, 2007
    #3
  4. "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    news:4IH%h.7984$%...
    > My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
    > her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
    > called :)).
    >
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a one-
    > off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost data?
    > There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's pretty
    > important stuff.
    >


    First instruct the little darling to back up her stuff-- especially anything
    that is classified as "pretty important" and spans a year and a half's
    effort!!

    Then d/l PCInspector
     
    Eye In The Sky, May 7, 2007
    #4
  5. Aardvark

    Frosty Guest

    On Mon, 07 May 2007 15:36:32 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Aardvark
    <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    but instead wrote :

    >My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
    >her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
    >called :)).
    >
    >I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
    >it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling the
    >device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the 'safely
    >remove hardware' button.
    >
    >Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a one-
    >off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost data?
    >There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's pretty
    >important stuff.


    This points to my constant assertion that people learn more through
    trial and error and by doing rather than reading about things in books
    or being lectured at university.
    Lesson learned!
     
    Frosty, May 7, 2007
    #5
  6. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 07 May 2007 17:09:54 +0100, SJP wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > news:4IH%h.7984$%...
    >> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
    >> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
    >> called :)).
    >>
    >> I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
    >> it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling
    >> the device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the
    >> 'safely remove hardware' button.
    >>
    >> Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a
    >> one- off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost
    >> data? There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's
    >> pretty important stuff.
    >>

    > Try http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm


    Cheers, mate. In the middle of running the prog on her thumb drive as I
    type. I'll let you know.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.
     
    Aardvark, May 7, 2007
    #6
  7. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:26:45 -0400, olfart wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > news:4IH%h.7984$%...
    >> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
    >> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
    >> called :)).
    >>
    >> I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
    >> it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling
    >> the device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the
    >> 'safely remove hardware' button.
    >>
    >> Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a
    >> one- off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost
    >> data? There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's
    >> pretty important stuff.
    >>

    > Always have a backup (second copy) of important data whether it is on a
    > HD, Flash , or Optical Disc. If it's really important make 2 backups on
    > different types of storage media. S--T happens to all forms of data
    > storage.


    I'll let you have her email addy and let you try to drum that into her
    head :) We'll see how successful you are. :)

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.
     
    Aardvark, May 7, 2007
    #7
  8. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:31:28 -0400, Eye In The Sky wrote:

    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > news:4IH%h.7984$%...
    >> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
    >> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
    >> called :)).
    >>
    >>
    >> Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a
    >> one- off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost
    >> data? There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's
    >> pretty important stuff.
    >>
    >>

    > First instruct the little darling to back up her stuff-- especially
    > anything that is classified as "pretty important" and spans a year and a
    > half's effort!!
    >
    > Then d/l PCInspector


    I think as far as she's concerned, waiting that few seconds to unplug her
    USB drive when it's safe to do so is time wasted, better spent texting
    her friends or typing manically into MSN :)

    You know what teenagers are like- if it's not there IMMEDIATELY, it's not
    worth waiting for.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.
     
    Aardvark, May 7, 2007
    #8
  9. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:17:07 -0500, Frosty wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 May 2007 15:36:32 GMT in 24hoursupport.helpdesk Aardvark
    > <>, intended to write something intelligible,
    > but instead wrote :
    >
    >>My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
    >>her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's called
    >>:)).
    >>
    >>I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
    >>it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling
    >>the device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the
    >>'safely remove hardware' button.
    >>
    >>Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a one-
    >>off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost data?
    >>There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's pretty
    >>important stuff.

    >
    > This points to my constant assertion that people learn more through
    > trial and error and by doing rather than reading about things in books
    > or being lectured at university.
    > Lesson learned!


    LOL You don't know my daughter :)

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.
     
    Aardvark, May 7, 2007
    #9
  10. Aardvark

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    news:w2K%h.8192$%...
    > On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:31:28 -0400, Eye In The Sky wrote:
    >
    >> "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> news:4IH%h.7984$%...
    >>> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
    >>> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
    >>> called :)).
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a
    >>> one- off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost
    >>> data? There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's
    >>> pretty important stuff.
    >>>
    >>>

    >> First instruct the little darling to back up her stuff-- especially
    >> anything that is classified as "pretty important" and spans a year and a
    >> half's effort!!
    >>
    >> Then d/l PCInspector

    >
    > I think as far as she's concerned, waiting that few seconds to unplug her
    > USB drive when it's safe to do so is time wasted, better spent texting
    > her friends or typing manically into MSN :)
    >
    > You know what teenagers are like- if it's not there IMMEDIATELY, it's not
    > worth waiting for.
    >

    Microwave society. I tend to be like that sometimes too <g>
     
    WhzzKdd, May 7, 2007
    #10
  11. "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    news:w2K%h.8192$%...
    > On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:31:28 -0400, Eye In The Sky wrote:
    >
    >> "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >> news:4IH%h.7984$%...
    >>> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
    >>> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
    >>> called :)).
    >>>


    >>>

    >> First instruct the little darling to back up her stuff-- especially
    >> anything that is classified as "pretty important" and spans a year and a
    >> half's effort!!
    >>
    >> Then d/l PCInspector

    >



    > I think as far as she's concerned, waiting that few seconds to unplug her
    > USB drive when it's safe to do so is time wasted, better spent texting
    > her friends or typing manically into MSN :)
    >
    > You know what teenagers are like- if it's not there IMMEDIATELY, it's not
    > worth waiting for.
    >
    >


    Well, you could teach her some valuable lessons in initiative, personal
    responsibility and consequences of her actions/inactions by telling her you
    couldn't find any programs to recover the data.

    If she doesn't take the initiative to find one herself, the price of the
    lost data and the error of her careless, irresponsible ways will be made
    real to her with serious consequences.

    Bet she won't do it again-- and hopefully that lesson will generalize to
    other more important areas of her life. It's tough for a parent to watch a
    child fail/suffer-- but sometimes that's the cost of learning a life-lesson
    and being a parent.

    Eye...
     
    Eye In The Sky, May 7, 2007
    #11
  12. Have your daughter remove the USB device correctly in the future to avoid
    lost of data. As a parent myself, I think this is a lesson learned in
    responsibility for ones actions.

    --
    Emmanuel Debrosse
    Irvington, New Jersey

    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort
    and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

    -- Martin Luther King, Jr.
    "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    news:4IH%h.7984$%...
    > My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
    > her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
    > called :)).
    >
    > I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
    > it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling the
    > device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the 'safely
    > remove hardware' button.
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a one-
    > off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost data?
    > There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's pretty
    > important stuff.
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User 413057.
    > Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    > You can have it all. My empire of hurt.
     
    Emmanuel Debrosse, May 8, 2007
    #12
  13. Aardvark

    olfart Guest

    "Emmanuel Debrosse" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Have your daughter remove the USB device correctly in the future to avoid
    > lost of data. As a parent myself, I think this is a lesson learned in
    > responsibility for ones actions.
    >


    The parent is as much as fault as the daughter. He obviously has no plan set
    up for backing up data. Keeping a year and a half of data on a flash drive
    with no duplicate copy stored elsewhere is plain stoopid. Incorrect
    unplugging of the drive is only one of many ways that data can be lost. He
    is as much to blame as she. For that matter...how do we know it was the
    daughter that made the bad???
     
    olfart, May 8, 2007
    #13
  14. Aardvark

    Ish Taylor Guest

    "Eye In The Sky" <ruleman@> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > news:w2K%h.8192$%...
    > > On Mon, 07 May 2007 12:31:28 -0400, Eye In The Sky wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > >> news:4IH%h.7984$%...
    > >>> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework

    from
    > >>> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
    > >>> called :)).
    > >>>

    snip
    >
    > Well, you could teach her some valuable lessons in initiative, personal
    > responsibility and consequences of her actions/inactions by telling her

    you
    > couldn't find any programs to recover the data.
    >
    > If she doesn't take the initiative to find one herself, the price of the
    > lost data and the error of her careless, irresponsible ways will be made
    > real to her with serious consequences.
    >
    > Bet she won't do it again-- and hopefully that lesson will generalize to
    > other more important areas of her life. It's tough for a parent to watch a
    > child fail/suffer-- but sometimes that's the cost of learning a

    life-lesson
    > and being a parent.
    >
    > Eye...
    >
    >

    I have niece, now 17, who has been depending on me for computer repair for
    about 6 years. At first I would drop everything and rush right over to fix
    it. Then I started waiting a day or so when she called. Now I take it home
    and keep it for a week or so before I clean it up.
     
    Ish Taylor, May 8, 2007
    #14
  15. Aardvark

    Bill Gates Guest

    Aardvark wrote:

    > On Mon, 07 May 2007 17:09:54 +0100, SJP wrote:
    >
    > > "Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    > > news:4IH%h.7984$%...
    > >> My teenage daughter has somehow managed to lose all her coursework from
    > >> her USB thumb drive (USB key, flash drive, whatever the hell it's
    > >> called :)).
    > >>
    > >> I asked her to explain to me step by step what she had done just before
    > >> it happened and it would seem that she's in the habit of just pulling
    > >> the device out when she's finished with it rather than clicking the
    > >> 'safely remove hardware' button.
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone point me in the direction (preferably free, as this is a
    > >> one- off) of some software or utility I can use to retrieve the lost
    > >> data? There was a year-and-a-half worth of work on the thing and it's
    > >> pretty important stuff.
    > >>

    > > Try http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

    >
    > Cheers, mate. In the middle of running the prog on her thumb drive as I
    > type. I'll let you know.
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User 413057.
    > Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    > You can have it all. My empire of hurt.


    So, did it work?
     
    Bill Gates, May 9, 2007
    #15
  16. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 09 May 2007 11:20:05 -0400, Bill Gates wrote:

    >> Cheers, mate. In the middle of running the prog on her thumb drive as I
    >> type. I'll let you know.
    >>

    >
    > So, did it work?


    Well, yes and no.

    The software recovered four empty folders, a fucked-up BMP and some .doc
    (Word) and xl (spreadsheet) files but only one of the .doc files appears
    to contain anything approaching what you might call text.

    I've been trying to open it so that it can be read but for some reason it
    consists of various symbols separated by dotted lines and formatting
    instructions.

    It seems that in between her telling me what had happened and me getting
    my hands on it, she had copied a lot of mp3 files onto it and transferred
    them to a friend's computer. I don't think that has helped much :)

    I wasn't intending on reporting back here until I had finally given up my
    efforts, but I think that point is nigh. :)

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.
     
    Aardvark, May 9, 2007
    #16
  17. Aardvark

    Bill Gates Guest

    Aardvark wrote:

    > On Wed, 09 May 2007 11:20:05 -0400, Bill Gates wrote:
    >
    > >> Cheers, mate. In the middle of running the prog on her thumb drive as I
    > >> type. I'll let you know.
    > >>

    > >
    > > So, did it work?

    >
    > Well, yes and no.
    >
    > The software recovered four empty folders, a fucked-up BMP and some .doc
    > (Word) and xl (spreadsheet) files but only one of the .doc files appears
    > to contain anything approaching what you might call text.
    >
    > I've been trying to open it so that it can be read but for some reason it
    > consists of various symbols separated by dotted lines and formatting
    > instructions.
    >
    > It seems that in between her telling me what had happened and me getting
    > my hands on it, she had copied a lot of mp3 files onto it and transferred
    > them to a friend's computer. I don't think that has helped much :)
    >
    > I wasn't intending on reporting back here until I had finally given up my
    > efforts, but I think that point is nigh. :)
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User 413057.
    > Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    > You can have it all. My empire of hurt.


    I'd been hoping you'd be able to recover at least some of the files. Oh,
    well, at least you tried.
     
    Bill Gates, May 10, 2007
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. nuthead

    USB thumb drive help

    nuthead, Jan 6, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    8,662
    wooly
    Oct 12, 2006
  2. ami
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    644
    Yves Leclerc
    Jul 2, 2004
  3. Robert Haston

    Camera that interfaces with USB thumb drive

    Robert Haston, Oct 11, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    533
    Ian Stirling
    Oct 11, 2003
  4. Sentler
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    7,131
    Roger Halstead
    Sep 2, 2004
  5. Bob D.

    USB thumb drive and the Epson Picture Mate

    Bob D., Jun 25, 2007, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    313
    nanook
    Jun 25, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page