    switch, that I could use to this? We've got to start recovering some of
    our unused ports and we have to know for sure nobody is behind them
    before we disconnect them.

    Cpt_CAM, Feb 4, 2005

  2. In article <>,
    Cpt_CAM <> wrote:
    :I've been using SolarWinds Performance monitor to watch the traffic on
    :all ports for 30 days on a given switch. If the traffic is 0 in that
    :time period I remove the cable from the switchport.

    :Are there any other methods out there, especially commands on the
    :switch, that I could use to this?

    Well, that would depend on the script. If you were using one of the
    ones with embedded TCL then you could possibly write something to
    automate the process by examining the traffic stats and disabling
    the line if the port had been idle for sufficiently long.

    I'm not sure what kind of "commands" you were hoping for? You
    can use snmp to monitor whether links are up or down. Do you
    encounter many situations in which devices are attached to ports
    but are completely idle for a month at a time? A port which nothing
    is attached to will have a line state of down that can be easily
    detected with SNMP.
    --
    Preposterous!! Where would all the calculators go?!

    Walter Roberson, Feb 4, 2005

  3. Cpt_CAM

    Cpt_CAM Guest

    Well I think I found what I needed. Under the CATOS the command SH MAC
    shows traffic counters for the ports as well as the last time the
    counters were cleared. So, if I clear counters on my switches and after
    30 days take a note of all ports with xmit and rev octets of 0, I'll
    have what I need. Under IOS the command is show port statistics with
    the "last cleared" information being under the sh int command.

    Do you encounter many situations in which devices are attached to ports
    but are completely idle for a month at a time?

    Oh yes. We're a large hospital where a lot of install moves adds and
    changes take place with no cable deprovisioning going on. So cables
    coming from a wall jack behind an oak bookcase are still plugged into
    the switch occupying a port, never to be used. Rather than just jam a
    new switch in there for all the new patch cables going in, I'm
    developing a plan to recover the ports and yank unused cables to make
    room.

    Cpt_CAM, Feb 5, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    Cpt_CAM <> wrote:
    :>Do you encounter many situations in which devices are attached to ports
    :>but are completely idle for a month at a time?

    :Oh yes. We're a large hospital where a lot of install moves adds and
    :changes take place with no cable deprovisioning going on. So cables
    :coming from a wall jack behind an oak bookcase are still plugged into
    :the switch occupying a port, never to be used.

    In that situation, the line state would be down; I was asking about
    cases in which the line state is up but there is no traffic.
    You don't to worry about clearing the counters if you just SNMP
    monitor the line states, such as via MRTG.
    --
    "Infinity is like a stuffed walrus I can hold in the palm of my hand.
    Don't do anything with infinity you wouldn't do with a stuffed walrus."

    Walter Roberson, Feb 5, 2005