    the sectors containing these files.

    Cheers
    John
    John Fitzpatrick, Jul 4, 2003

  2. John Fitzpatrick

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 01:40:35 +0100, in
    <_7pNa.3966$>
    John Fitzpatrick scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:53:34 +0100, in
    >> <pHmNa.2732$>
    >> John Fitzpatrick scrawled:
    >>
    >> >My computer recently crashed losing a lot of important DV
    >> >footage. I am using Easy recovery pro to get the files that
    >> >I want. The setup is one large 60gb partition NTFS and a 2nd
    >> >HD of 7gb FAT32. As some of the files are over 4GB they won't
    >> >go to the fat32 drive but recovery doesn't allow it to be
    >> >copied to the source drive.

    >> That's because you could overwrite the very information you are
    >> trying to recover!
    >>
    >> >Would another partition on the 60gb drive help this?

    >> No. See the comment above.
    >>
    >> >I tried typing subst a: c:\temp so that I can copy to the same
    >> >drive but this doesn't seem to work in XP any idea why not.

    >> NEVER try to recover data to the same drive. See above.
    >>
    >> >I don't want to start putting more stuff onto computer in case
    >> >I overwrite the sectors containing these files.

    >> ANY use of the drive containing the data increases the risk of
    >> you losing what you are trying to recover. See above.
    >>
    >> >Cheers
    >> >John
    >> >

    >I see exactly what you are saying, but is there anyway around
    >this.
    >
    >I have around 2GB of data on the 7GB drive, if I convert this
    >to NTFS will I still keep the existing data?
    >
    >Is there anywayt to retrieve the files and link them together
    >i.e 2x5GB instead of 1x10GB
    >
    >Cheers
    >John

    You can't recover to a drive that is smaller than the data you are
    recovering. If the data is really important, consider purchasing
    a larger drive - it will come in handy for backup purposes, too.

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2003

  3. "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 01:40:35 +0100, in
    > <_7pNa.3966$>
    > John Fitzpatrick scrawled:
    >

    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 22:53:34 +0100, in
    > >> <pHmNa.2732$>
    > >> John Fitzpatrick scrawled:

    > >> That's because you could overwrite the very information you are
    > >> trying to recover!

    > >> No. See the comment above.

    > >> NEVER try to recover data to the same drive. See above.

    > >> ANY use of the drive containing the data increases the risk of
    > >> you losing what you are trying to recover. See above.

    > >I see exactly what you are saying, but is there anyway around
    > >this.
    > >
    > >I have around 2GB of data on the 7GB drive, if I convert this
    > >to NTFS will I still keep the existing data?
    > >
    > >Is there anywayt to retrieve the files and link them together
    > >i.e 2x5GB instead of 1x10GB
    > >
    > >Cheers
    > >John

    > You can't recover to a drive that is smaller than the data you are
    > recovering. If the data is really important, consider purchasing
    > a larger drive - it will come in handy for backup purposes, too.
    >
    > --
    >Which is exactly why I kept the 7GB but obviously it isn't big enough.

    I think I still have the original tapes but it is just a hassle to resample
    them.

    Thanks anyway

    John
    John Fitzpatrick, Jul 5, 2003
  4. John Fitzpatrick

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 10:18:45 +0100, in
    <LJwNa.4119$>
    John Fitzpatrick scrawled:

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 5 Jul 2003 01:40:35 +0100, in
    >> <_7pNa.3966$>
    >> John Fitzpatrick scrawled:
    >>

    >> >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message

    >> >I see exactly what you are saying, but is there anyway around
    >> >this.
    >> >
    >> >I have around 2GB of data on the 7GB drive, if I convert this
    >> >to NTFS will I still keep the existing data?
    >> >
    >> >Is there anywayt to retrieve the files and link them together
    >> >i.e 2x5GB instead of 1x10GB
    >> >
    >> >Cheers
    >> >John

    >> You can't recover to a drive that is smaller than the data you are
    >> recovering. If the data is really important, consider purchasing
    >> a larger drive - it will come in handy for backup purposes, too.
    >>
    >> --
    >>Which is exactly why I kept the 7GB but obviously it isn't big enough.

    >I think I still have the original tapes but it is just a hassle to resample
    >them.
    >
    >Thanks anyway
    >
    >John

    Ok, good luck.