    fresh installation?

    TIA

    RF
    Red Fox, Aug 8, 2006

  2. Red Fox

    gwtc Guest

    Red Fox wrote:
    > Hi Experts,
    >
    > My Win2K OS went belly up and I now have the problem of getting the folders,
    > emails, news groups, etc from the dead Thunderbird (TBird). I have another
    > Win2K OS setup and a fresh installation of TBird on the same machine.
    >
    > I was able to locate the archive under Profiles in Docs and Settings, with
    > the old Mail and News folders. I tried Import Mail from T-Bird and was
    > offered only Communicator, Eudora, Outlook and OE - useless to me -
    > presumably intended for live programs. I copied a profile from the old
    > installation to the new one but T-Bird didn't recognize it. It has a name
    > like c5ma10es.default.
    >
    > How can I get the information from Profiles in Docs and Settings to the
    > fresh installation?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > RF

    close TB. Then click on Start, Run and enter exactly:

    thunderbird.exe -p

    this will bring up the TB profile manager. Follow the instructions,
    and when you get to the part about changing the profile location,
    point it to the new location.

    --
    Caught Asleep At Your Work Desk

    Just in case your boss catches you asleep at your desk, be ready to
    blurt out this excuse #1: I was working smarter - not harder.
    gwtc, Aug 8, 2006

  3. Red Fox

    Red Fox Guest

    What kept you? - a whole 18 minutes ;-)

    Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions and I got a Choose Profile
    window with choices
    Create Profile, Rename Profile or Delete Profile??

    Not sure where to go now.

    RF

    Red Fox, Aug 8, 2006
  4. Red Fox

    gwtc Guest

    Red Fox wrote:
    > What kept you? - a whole 18 minutes ;-)
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions and I got a Choose Profile
    > window with choices
    > Create Profile, Rename Profile or Delete Profile??
    >
    > Not sure where to go now.
    >
    > RF
    >

    > "gwtc" <> wrote in message
    >> Red Fox wrote:
    >>> Hi Experts,
    >>>
    >>> My Win2K OS went belly up and I now have the problem of getting the

    > folders,
    >>> emails, news groups, etc from the dead Thunderbird (TBird). I have

    > another
    >>> Win2K OS setup and a fresh installation of TBird on the same machine.
    >>>
    >>> I was able to locate the archive under Profiles in Docs and Settings,

    > with
    >>> the old Mail and News folders. I tried Import Mail from T-Bird and was
    >>> offered only Communicator, Eudora, Outlook and OE - useless to me -
    >>> presumably intended for live programs. I copied a profile from the old
    >>> installation to the new one but T-Bird didn't recognize it. It has a

    > name
    >>> like c5ma10es.default.
    >>>
    >>> How can I get the information from Profiles in Docs and Settings to the
    >>> fresh installation?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> RF
    >>>

    >> close TB. Then click on Start, Run and enter exactly:
    >>
    >> thunderbird.exe -p
    >>
    >> this will bring up the TB profile manager. Follow the instructions,
    >> and when you get to the part about changing the profile location,
    >> point it to the new location.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Caught Asleep At Your Work Desk
    >>
    >> Just in case your boss catches you asleep at your desk, be ready to
    >> blurt out this excuse #1: I was working smarter - not harder.

    Oh, right, I should have said, create profile

    gwtc, Aug 8, 2006
  5. OT Re: Recovering T-Bird files after a crash

    gwtc wrote:
    > Red Fox wrote:
    >> What kept you? - a whole 18 minutes ;-)
    >>
    >> Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions and I got a Choose
    >> Profile
    >> window with choices
    >> Create Profile, Rename Profile or Delete Profile??
    >>
    >> Not sure where to go now.
    >>
    >> RF

    > Oh, right, I should have said, create profile

    Slowing down here gw, that one took you 93 minutes! <g>
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 8, 2006
  6. Red Fox

    gwtc Guest

    Re: OT Re: Recovering T-Bird files after a crash

    Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > gwtc wrote:
    >> Red Fox wrote:
    >>> What kept you? - a whole 18 minutes ;-)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the reply. I followed the instructions and I got a Choose
    >>> Profile
    >>> window with choices
    >>> Create Profile, Rename Profile or Delete Profile??
    >>>
    >>> Not sure where to go now.
    >>>
    >>> RF

    >> Oh, right, I should have said, create profile
    >>

    > Slowing down here gw, that one took you 93 minutes! <g>

    Yes, I seem to be getting slower every day. I need a vaction to renew
    my cells. I haven't had one in 20 years. :-(

    gwtc, Aug 8, 2006
  7. Red Fox

    Red Fox Guest

    "gwtc" <> wrote in message
    > Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > > gwtc wrote:

    > >> Oh, right, I should have said, create profile
    > >>

    > > Slowing down here gw, that one took you 93 minutes! <g>

    > Yes, I seem to be getting slower every day. I need a vaction to renew
    > my cells. I haven't had one in 20 years. :-(
    >
    > --
    > Caught Asleep At Your Work Desk
    >
    > Just in case your boss catches you asleep at your desk, be ready to
    > blurt out this excuse #1: I was working smarter - not harder.

    Oh dear!, gwtc, we have managed to delete the existing profile.

    I followed the Create new profile, thinking that I could give it the name of
    the profile in the old installation and then copy the folders from the old
    installation over to it. When I was finished, the existing profile, and the
    new one I just created, showed in the profile window. Then when T-Bird
    opened up, there were no profiles at all and it wanted me to create an email
    address. I went through the process and now I have NO profile at all!!!

    How to recover the existing profile that was deleted in the Create
    process???

    ?????????????
    Red Fox, Aug 10, 2006
  8. Red Fox

    Doug G Guest

    Try the advice at http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile#move
    Doug G, Aug 10, 2006
  9. Red Fox

    Orbis Guest

    Re: OT Re: Recovering T-Bird files after a crash

    >> Slowing down here gw, that one took you 93 minutes! <g>
    > Yes, I seem to be getting slower every day. I need a vaction to renew
    > my cells. I haven't had one in 20 years. :-(

    Life's what you make it. Take 6 months off.
    Orbis, Aug 12, 2006