    both software and hardware matters when recovering photos.

    BTW that card has bad sectors - so guess I'll reformat it and use it
    for unimportant stuff.

    Tippi, Mar 31, 2007

  2. Tippi

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    Tippi <> wrote:

    > Back in Jan I posted about photos disappearing from an SD card. I
    > tried a couple of free recovery programs mentioned on here. Either
    > they retrieved a lot of files with unrecognized data, or retrieved
    > only a few photos. Then I got Scandisk's RescuePro and Voila! it
    > successfully recovered almost a 100 photos. This was done using a card
    > reader connected to my desktop.
    > Then my friend (who was on the same trip) got a new dual core laptop
    > with a built-in card reader. When he put that particular card in, I
    > noticed even without recovering, a few more photos showed up. So I
    > installed RescuePro on his machine, and WOW! recovered 160 photos!! So

    Different programs use various analytical routines to find the data
    (and several have different selectable routines within their program,
    too), so you should always try two or three different ones if you can,
    if one particular program has a problem. And (as you found out) never
    format or give up on the card until you have exhausted everything
    reasonable. Cards are cheap, throw the bad one (marked) in a drawer
    and try it again later with something else.

    > both software and hardware matters when recovering photos.
    >
    > BTW that card has bad sectors - so guess I'll reformat it and use it
    > for unimportant stuff.

    That's probably more the reason for the variety than the hardware
    (unless it was because of faulty connection to the reader, but these
    things have such error checking built into the protocols that if not
    all the contacts are solid, it should not read at all). I'm not sure
    that there's much differnce in what machine it's connected to can make
    - the data either reads or it doesn't.

    However, if the "sectors" are bad due to faulty [intermittant] memory
    in the card, the readings may be [just as] intermittant, which could
    account for the various levels of data recovery.

    Glad you got more data recovered, though. It's frustrating to lose a
    card - I just had a 6 GB CF II microdrive card that I've been using
    flawlessly for 2 years go south on me - fortunately, this was
    immediately after I had just pulled all the data off of it (I put it
    back in the camera, and it wouldn't work, nor on the computer. Nothing
    to indicate why or how it toasted, other than perhaps just a final gasp
    due to age).

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Mar 31, 2007

  3. Tippi

    ray Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 10:17:12 -0700, Tippi wrote:

    > Back in Jan I posted about photos disappearing from an SD card. I
    > tried a couple of free recovery programs mentioned on here. Either
    > they retrieved a lot of files with unrecognized data, or retrieved
    > only a few photos. Then I got Scandisk's RescuePro and Voila! it
    > successfully recovered almost a 100 photos. This was done using a card
    > reader connected to my desktop.
    >
    > Then my friend (who was on the same trip) got a new dual core laptop
    > with a built-in card reader. When he put that particular card in, I
    > noticed even without recovering, a few more photos showed up. So I
    > installed RescuePro on his machine, and WOW! recovered 160 photos!! So
    > both software and hardware matters when recovering photos.
    >
    > BTW that card has bad sectors - so guess I'll reformat it and use it
    > for unimportant stuff.

    IMHO - if it actually has bad sectors the best place for it is the trash
    can.

    ray, Mar 31, 2007
  4. Tippi

    Bob Williams Guest

    Tippi wrote:

    > Back in Jan I posted about photos disappearing from an SD card. I
    > tried a couple of free recovery programs mentioned on here. Either
    > they retrieved a lot of files with unrecognized data, or retrieved
    > only a few photos. Then I got Scandisk's RescuePro and Voila! it
    > successfully recovered almost a 100 photos. This was done using a card
    > reader connected to my desktop.
    >
    > Then my friend (who was on the same trip) got a new dual core laptop
    > with a built-in card reader. When he put that particular card in, I
    > noticed even without recovering, a few more photos showed up. So I
    > installed RescuePro on his machine, and WOW! recovered 160 photos!! So
    > both software and hardware matters when recovering photos.
    >
    > BTW that card has bad sectors - so guess I'll reformat it and use it
    > for unimportant stuff.

    If you got all the pics off , I would just junk that puppy.
    SD cards are soooo cheap nowadays, its not worth the potential headaches
    to even fool with it.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Mar 31, 2007
  5. Tippi

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 10:33:55 -0700, Ken Lucke <> wrote:
    : In article <>,
    : Tippi <> wrote:
    :
[...]
    : >
[...]

    Page 29 of your XTi manual contains a warning about the relative fragility of
    microdrive cards.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Mar 31, 2007
  6. Tippi

    Pete D Guest

    "Tippi" <> wrote in message
    > Back in Jan I posted about photos disappearing from an SD card. I
    > tried a couple of free recovery programs mentioned on here. Either
    > they retrieved a lot of files with unrecognized data, or retrieved
    > only a few photos. Then I got Scandisk's RescuePro and Voila! it
    > successfully recovered almost a 100 photos. This was done using a card
    > reader connected to my desktop.
    >
    > Then my friend (who was on the same trip) got a new dual core laptop
    > with a built-in card reader. When he put that particular card in, I
    > noticed even without recovering, a few more photos showed up. So I
    > installed RescuePro on his machine, and WOW! recovered 160 photos!! So
    > both software and hardware matters when recovering photos.
    >
    > BTW that card has bad sectors - so guess I'll reformat it and use it
    > for unimportant stuff.

    Why??? Destroy the bloody thing, why risk loosing shots ever again, the
    cards are cheap.

    Pete D, Mar 31, 2007