    Thanks for any help,

    Ron Carroll
    Olympus D450Z

    Ron, May 22, 2004

  2. Ron

    Pat Guest

    > I have tried three recovery programs from the web, but none are able to

    see
    > any files. I also took the card to a local camera shop, but they too were
    > not able to find the files.
    >
    > Can anyone help me find a way to recover these irreplaceable pictures? I
    > wrote Olympus, but no reply yet.
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Ron Carroll

    Did you try Photo Rescue? http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/
    I bought it and tried it and the sigh of relief could have been heard in
    three counties....

    Pat in TX

    Pat, May 22, 2004

  3. Ron

    Alfred Molon Guest

    "Ron" <no one @home.com> <"Ron" <no one @home.com>> wrote:
    >Recently I made the ultimate blunder. While away on a cruise I mistakenly
    >erased about 400 photos from the Smart Media card in my Olympus D450Z.
    >
    >I have tried three recovery programs from the web, but none are able to see
    >any files. I also took the card to a local camera shop, but they too were
    >not able to find the files.
    >
    >Can anyone help me find a way to recover these irreplaceable pictures? I
    >wrote Olympus, but no reply yet.

    Not sure with the Oly 450, but with other Olympus cameras when you erase
    pictures in the camera, they are completely erased - the individual
    bytes get overwritten. No chance to recover the images.

    You would only be able to recover the images if your card got corrupted,
    or if you were using an Olympus camera with dual CF and Smartmedia slots
    and you kept your images on the CF card (the camera doesn't "flatten"
    the CF card).
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, May 22, 2004
  4. Ron

    jriegle Guest

    If what the other poster said about the Oly camera is true then your hosed.
    Perfect example of why I would spread my images across many smaller cards
    than one large one. If you were to screw up or something failed, at least
    you don't lose it all. 400 images lost. That sucks!
    John

    jriegle, May 22, 2004
  5. Ron

    Ron Guest

    My thanks to Pat, Alfred & John for your interest. I was told by the photo
    shop that what Pat says could be the way it is. Now it almost looks
    certain - - - EXCEPT - - - This morning I took my old 8 MB card, and took 8
    quick pictures, then tried to restore them. Those 8 were not found, BUT 3
    pictures from 2 years ago were found, and I could save them to disk. They
    weren't there this morning when I took the test pictures.

    How can this be explained. I'll try Photo Rescue as Pat suggested and hope
    it may find something for me.

    John is right about using several small memory cards, but I got caught up in
    the old 'bigger is better' thing that all of us 'real men' know is a bunch
    of bull. <G>

    Thanks again,

    Ron Carroll - Oregon

    Ron, May 22, 2004
  6. Ron

    Paul Guest

    Ron wrote:
    > My thanks to Pat, Alfred & John for your interest. I was told by the photo
    > shop that what Pat says could be the way it is. Now it almost looks
    > certain - - - EXCEPT - - - This morning I took my old 8 MB card, and took 8
    > quick pictures, then tried to restore them. Those 8 were not found, BUT 3
    > pictures from 2 years ago were found, and I could save them to disk. They
    > weren't there this morning when I took the test pictures.
    >
    > How can this be explained. I'll try Photo Rescue as Pat suggested and hope
    > it may find something for me.
    >
    > John is right about using several small memory cards, but I got caught up in
    > the old 'bigger is better' thing that all of us 'real men' know is a bunch
    > of bull. <G>
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Ron Carroll - Oregon
    >
    > "Ron" <no one @home.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Recently I made the ultimate blunder. While away on a cruise I mistakenly
    >>erased about 400 photos from the Smart Media card in my Olympus D450Z.
    >>
    >>I have tried three recovery programs from the web, but none are able to

    > see
    >
    >>any files. I also took the card to a local camera shop, but they too were
    >>not able to find the files.
    >>
    >>Can anyone help me find a way to recover these irreplaceable pictures? I
    >>wrote Olympus, but no reply yet.
    >>
    >>Thanks for any help,
    >>
    >>Ron Carroll
    >>Olympus D450Z

    If you format the card (which I do when I delete everything) then the
    Olympus cameras DO write over everything. If you just delete an image
    then it is recoverable. So, if the card you took more images on and
    recovered 3 old ones had merely had the earlier images deleted then they
    would not have been seen by the camera when you first put it in, but
    some images would have remained from 3 years ago (if not over-written
    entirely by new images).

    Paul, May 22, 2004
  7. Ron

    Ron Guest

    You know Paul, I think that you have hit the nail right on the head.

    I made the blunder a couple of weeks ago while on a cruise in Europe. I
    accidentally snapped a useless picture immediately after changing the
    batteries. I thought to myself that I should erase that picture of my feet.
    I hadn't erased anything in a VERY long time, and didn't have my manual
    along with me, so forgot how to do it.

    After reading you post I retraced my steps and discovered I had actually
    used the 'Reformat' function, rather than the 'Erase All' function. If you
    are correct in saying that Olympus does overwrite everything when
    refomatting, then I may be a dead duck.

    However, according to a post made by Tama Mativa (see below), she/he had
    mistakenly reformatted a memory card and using ZAR was able to recover the
    files. I will download this software and give it a try. If you are
    correct, it will not find anything either. If so I will abandon my efforts
    and surrender to the gods of stupidity. Hindsight is 20-20.

    Thanks for your help,

    Ron Carroll - Oregon, USA

    _____Message sent by Tama Mativa___________________
    Last week i formated my CF card accidently and was trying to recover the
    photos

    I bought a Card reader and used the program "Zero Assumption digital image
    recovery" and got back all the photos

    thanks to everyone for the suggestions

    http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm

    Ron, May 22, 2004
  8. Ron

    Alfred Molon Guest

    "Ron" <no one @home.com> <"Ron" <no one @home.com>> wrote:
    >You know Paul, I think that you have hit the nail right on the head.
    >
    >I made the blunder a couple of weeks ago while on a cruise in Europe. I
    >accidentally snapped a useless picture immediately after changing the
    >batteries. I thought to myself that I should erase that picture of my feet.
    >I hadn't erased anything in a VERY long time, and didn't have my manual
    >along with me, so forgot how to do it.
    >
    >After reading you post I retraced my steps and discovered I had actually
    >used the 'Reformat' function, rather than the 'Erase All' function. If you
    >are correct in saying that Olympus does overwrite everything when
    >refomatting, then I may be a dead duck.
    >
    >However, according to a post made by Tama Mativa (see below), she/he had
    >mistakenly reformatted a memory card and using ZAR was able to recover the
    >files. I will download this software and give it a try. If you are
    >correct, it will not find anything either. If so I will abandon my efforts
    >and surrender to the gods of stupidity. Hindsight is 20-20.

    I can confirm formatting a Smartmedia card in an Olympus camera will
    irrevocably destroy all data (all bytes get overwritten with 0). I
    tested this with an Olympus 4040.
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, May 22, 2004
  9. Ron wrote:

    > Recently I made the ultimate blunder. While away on a cruise I mistakenly
    > erased about 400 photos from the Smart Media card in my Olympus D450Z.
    >
    > I have tried three recovery programs from the web, but none are able to see
    > any files. I also took the card to a local camera shop, but they too were
    > not able to find the files.
    >
    > Can anyone help me find a way to recover these irreplaceable pictures? I
    > wrote Olympus, but no reply yet.

    I lost 36 images (the last on the SM chip) from a snowmobile trip to
    Barentsburg (from Longyearbyen on Svalbard/Spitzbergen, a
    once-in-a-lifetime experience).

    This was with an Oly D40Z.

    I downloaded PhotoRescue from http://www.datarescue.com, it found every
    single missing image, it even recovered the original name/date/time info.

    At $29 for the full version, it was a _very_ easy buy.

    Terje

    PS. I tried two or three other programs as well, with less luck.

    --
    - <>

    Terje Mathisen, May 22, 2004
  10. Ron

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ron wrote:

> [...]

    > up in
    >
    >>>the old 'bigger is better' thing that all of us 'real men' know is a

    > bunch
    >
    >>>of bull. <G>
    >>>
    >>>Thanks again,
    >>>
    >>>Ron Carroll - Oregon
    >>>
    >>>"Ron" <no one @home.com> wrote in message

    > mistakenly

    >>>see

    > were

    >>If you format the card (which I do when I delete everything) then the
    >>Olympus cameras DO write over everything. If you just delete an image
    >>then it is recoverable. So, if the card you took more images on and
    >>recovered 3 old ones had merely had the earlier images deleted then they
    >>would not have been seen by the camera when you first put it in, but
    >>some images would have remained from 3 years ago (if not over-written

    If Opympus does that, then your pictures are toast. However, it is not
    the usual practice, and if they do, then I would consider buying another
    brand next time.

    Ron Hunter, May 22, 2004
  11. Ron

    Reg Hamilton Guest

    Try "Recover My Photos", www.recover-my-photos.com. It has a free preview of
    deleted photos in the demo download version. It worked well for me.

    Good luck

    Reg Hamilton, May 29, 2004