Recovering from a virus -registry errors

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Solar^, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. Solar^

    Solar^ Guest

    Greetings group,
    Am in the process of recovering from a virus or virii - came in the
    form of "postcard.gif.exe" and included the mirc/irc flood trojan.
    There might have been some others too, but EZ-Antivrus got most of
    them, had to delete the system32 entries manually. Anyway LSS the
    computer is still behaving somewhat erratically. Do a registry scan
    and fix numerous problems, the machine behaves, but on reboot, a bunch
    of registry errors reappear. Have done a spyware, malware scan and
    came up clean. Still infected or is the whole of windows XP in need of
    a complete redo? BTW, this is not my machine but one that belongs to
    my sister, who is communicating by way of e-mail with me. Any help
    would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Solar^
    Dell Machine
    Windows XP
    EZ Antivirus
    Zonealarm
    Solar^, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Solar^

    samuel Guest

    Solar^ <> wrote in

    > Greetings group,
    > Am in the process of recovering from a virus or virii - came
    > in the form of "postcard.gif.exe" and included the mirc/irc
    > flood trojan. There might have been some others too, but
    > EZ-Antivrus got most of them, had to delete the system32
    > entries manually. Anyway LSS the computer is still behaving
    > somewhat erratically. Do a registry scan and fix numerous
    > problems, the machine behaves, but on reboot, a bunch of
    > registry errors reappear. Have done a spyware, malware scan
    > and came up clean. Still infected or is the whole of windows
    > XP in need of a complete redo? BTW, this is not my machine but
    > one that belongs to my sister, who is communicating by way of
    > e-mail with me. Any help would be appreciated.
    > Regards,
    > Solar^
    > Dell Machine
    > Windows XP
    > EZ Antivirus
    > Zonealarm

    try http://vil.nai.com/vil/SystemHelpDocs/DisableSysRestore.htm

    System Restore Utility (Windows XP Users)

    1. Right click the My Computer icon on the Desktop and click on
    Properties.
    2. Click on the System Restore tab.
    3. Put a check mark next to 'Turn off System Restore on All
    Drives'.
    4. Click the 'OK' button.
    5. You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes.

    Note: To re-enable the Restore Utility, follow steps one to five
    and on step three remove the check mark next to 'Turn off System
    Restore on All Drives'.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="postcard.gif.exe"&btnG=Go
    ogle+Search
    samuel, Jan 12, 2006